Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th March 2018, 13:58   #27161  |  Link
thecrowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Problem is HDR. Non-UHD Blu-Ray players need SDR so you need to tonemap. Methods are discussed in other parts of the forum, it's not a trivial topic:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1827927
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174415
https://github.com/ifb/vapoursynth-tonemap

(That said, not all UHD Blu-Rays have to be HDR.)
@sneaker_ger
Thank you for your answer.
I had read the discussion in the first link you mentioned a few days ago, and that's why I asked @jdobbs what was the solution found in the next beta release of BD Rebuilder.
What I have understood is that "tonemapping" is a manual, temporary solution and, in my judgment, wrong, because it is not based on a standard of conversion between different color profiles nor on a universal algorithm.
In theory, the tonemapping should be applied frame-by-frame, or some scene will always present wrong colors.
Thanks and kind regards.
thecrowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 14:26   #27162  |  Link
thecrowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I haven't given much thought to the conversion to AVC -- as it would be stepping backwards for no apparent reason (unless you wanted to downgrade to 1280p or 480/576 for some reason or are trying to convert for a non-UHD player).
@jdobbs
Thanks for your answer.
If I can afford to give you a suggestion, the reason, not apparent, to "step backwards", is the current situation.
The hardware needed for UHD content playback and/or store is too expensive and so will be for a long time.
The availability of UHD video streams is current, instead.
A software that can only store a Blu-Ray UHD structure, perhaps reducing the size of the video/audio tracks to conform to the standard dimensions of a BD-R(L), will be usefull just for fews.
Even actual solutions like Kodi-based hardware will have no benefit at all: they may use an HEVC/x265 .mkv/mp4 file, not a Blu-ray UHD compliant structure.
Talking about standard AVC Blu-Rays, the actual main goal of a software like BD Rebuilder beta, is to retain a BD structure and shrink it (burn, maybe): it's not just a software for simple conversions, like many others.
But a software solution that allows, in the same way, to manage the UHD Blu-Rays without being able to convert it to AVC standards (actual Blu-Ray structure), this one, seems to me rather useless, at least today.
It will be in the (next?) future, of course.
Kind regards.

Last edited by thecrowler; 19th March 2018 at 15:14.
Old 19th March 2018, 22:00   #27163  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrowler View Post
@jdobbs
Thanks for your answer.
If I can afford to give you a suggestion, the reason, not apparent, to "step backwards", is the current situation.
The hardware needed for UHD content playback and/or store is too expensive and so will be for a long time.
The availability of UHD video streams is current, instead.
A software that can only store a Blu-Ray UHD structure, perhaps reducing the size of the video/audio tracks to conform to the standard dimensions of a BD-R(L), will be usefull just for fews.
Even actual solutions like Kodi-based hardware will have no benefit at all: they may use an HEVC/x265 .mkv/mp4 file, not a Blu-ray UHD compliant structure.
Talking about standard AVC Blu-Rays, the actual main goal of a software like BD Rebuilder beta, is to retain a BD structure and shrink it (burn, maybe): it's not just a software for simple conversions, like many others.
But a software solution that allows, in the same way, to manage the UHD Blu-Rays without being able to convert it to AVC standards (actual Blu-Ray structure), this one, seems to me rather useless, at least today.
It will be in the (next?) future, of course.
Kind regards.
An Xbox One S is a uhd player, and many modern tvs support 4k, so not that rare.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 11:36   #27164  |  Link
thecrowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
An Xbox One S is a uhd player, and many modern tvs support 4k, so not that rare.
@drmih
Yes man, and how are you gonna use a UHD Blu-Ray structure on a ($250/300) Xbox One S?
Are you gonna burn it with a UHD compliant Blu-Ray burner, that costs like your Xbox ($248.52) on a compliant UHD BD-R/RL disc, that doens't even exist?
Can u handle a full UHD Blu-Ray structure from within your Xbox HDD, or from an external USB drive, if u don't wanna/cannot burn it?
Is that "burner+Xbox One S" cheap enough and "not that rare", from your personal point of view (and, in general, is it)?
And what about 4k TVs, maybe you know one that is able to manage a full UHD Blu-Ray structure?
Or, perhaps, are they only able to read HEVC/x265 MKV/M2TS/MP4/AVI containers?
For both Xbox One S and 4k TVs, as I already wrote in my previous post, u should use an HEVC/x265 .mkv/m2ts/mp4 file, not a full UHD Blu-Ray structure, 'cause it's unsupported and so, useless...
And a simple conversion to x265 MKV or M2TS containers (that is not what BD Rebuilder is made for) can be done using any other simple software out there, like MeGUI, MakeMKV, Handbrake and so on.
So, what's the point of your answer? What does this have to do with my question?
Have u carefully read what I wrote?

Last edited by thecrowler; 20th March 2018 at 13:38.
Old 20th March 2018, 14:29   #27165  |  Link
jdobbs

A lot of incorrect assumptions there.

Quote:
Are you gonna burn it with a UHD compliant Blu-Ray burner, that costs like your Xbox ($248.52) on a compliant UHD BD-R/RL disc, that doens't even exist?
Quote:
Is that "burner+Xbox One S" cheap enough and "not that rare", from your personal point of view (and, in general, is it)?
1. You just play it.
2. You don't need a UHD burner... BD-50 is 100% UHD compliant and discs are under $1.
3. Yes... you can burn to BD-50
4. Players are reasonably priced (under $200). Otherwise a poor person like me wouldn't have one for testing.
Quote:
For both Xbox One S and 4k TVs, as I already wrote in my previous post, u should use an HEVC/x265 .mkv/m2ts/mp4 file, not a full UHD Blu-Ray structure, 'cause it's unsupported and so, useless...
5. Completely incorrect -- and BD Rebuilder certainly is made for creating MKV etc... it's one of its most useful features and it does it automatically from a BD format (including combining multipart sources and letting you choose angles).

Unsupported? Where does that come from?

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th March 2018 at 14:36.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 15:42   #27166  |  Link
thecrowler

Quote:
A lot of incorrect assumptions there.

1. You just play it.
2. You don't need a UHD burner... BD-50 is 100% UHD compliant and discs are under $1.
3. Yes... you can burn to BD-50
4. Players are reasonably priced (under $200). Otherwise a poor person like me wouldn't have one for testing.
5. Completely incorrect -- and BD Rebuilder certainly is made for creating MKV etc... it's one of its most useful features and it does it automatically from a BD format (including combining multipart sources and letting you choose angles).

Unsupported? Where does that come from?
"A lot of incorrect assumptions there": well, let's see.

1. "You just play it": well, how? I could only play it on a disk, if this were possible (and it's not), but neither from consolle HDD, nor from an external USB disk.
If u're assuming it's possible, "Xbox One S" manuals are online, please, prove your point, 'cause it's not mentioned anywere.
2. "BD-50 is 100% UHD compliant": this is an "incorrect assumption", 'cause readability will depend from player's hardware/firmware, like BD9 and BD5. NOT a standard, in any case.
You're confusing recordable media standards (BD-50 or BD-RL) and content standards (UHD compliant).
BD-R/RL/XL are BD recordable standards: no specifications are even been published for recordable medias with UHD content, atm, and you're assuming they are "compliant"?
The only published specifications are for UHD-BD.
The hardware of BD-XL compatible burners should read UHD-discs, if the FW allow it: but I'm talking about few XL burners, not about standalone players.
If u wish, find and read some other threads over the Internet, like I did. For example, related to UHD-BD and BD-R media standards:

https://club.myce.com/t/difference-b...-ray/399431/16

3. "Yes... you can burn to BD-50": burning on BD-R/RL/XL and reading it on a standalone player (or console), well, it's a different kind of story.
Some standalone players will (hopefully) play UHD BD folder structure, made usin' BD Rebuilder and burned on a BD-R/RL: some others, simply will NOT (and they are priced under $200).
I'm neither a beta-tester nor a software developer, I won't risk $200 for no guarantees.
I also doubt a console will ever play a UHD Blu-Ray structure burned on a BD-R/RL media.
Again, prove your point.
Last but not least, 4k TVs do not handle UHD Blu-Ray folders (structure), at all: if u find that hardware specific on a single TV manual or from any other source, let me know, I'll buy it.
Again, it's not mentioned anywhere, and despite that, you're saying the opposite, so it's up to you to prove that you're not speculating.
4. "Players are reasonably priced (under $200). Otherwise a poor person like me wouldn't have one for testing": I'm poorer than you, apparently. "I'm not a software developer" and points number "2" and "3", are my answers.
Riassuming: 4k TVs are not a choise, consoles won't play UHD content on BD-R medias, standalone players are priced under $200 and gave no guarantees at all (maybe in a future).
That's where "unsupported? Where does that come from?" comes from, and that's why a "step backwards" to AVC as option is needed, in my opinion.
5. "Completely incorrect -- and BD Rebuilder certainly is made for creating MKV ": I believe you're gonna sell BD Rebuilder, after the beta stage.
Considering all the free/commercial software for creating/ripping MKV/M2TS out there, if u believe that "it's one of its most useful features", well, good luck: as a potential customer, I can't say anything else.

Last edited by thecrowler; 20th March 2018 at 21:13.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:44   #27167  |  Link
drmih

Well you seem clueless but I'll answer. I have both an Xbox One S and a Panasonic 900 (so both ends of the UHD market). Both obviously play original disks perfectly and very impressive on a 4K tv with HDR. I have also ripped ISO images (and I believe there are currently 250 to 300 which have been done by others) and then used DVDFab (or CloneBD) to compress them to bd-50, or even bd-25. Any bd burner will do them (bd-25 are about 25p and bd-50 £1) and the compressed versions (actually many uhd disks will fit on bd-50 anyway once foreign languages are removed) play fine on both, with it nearly impossible to tell the difference between bd-66 compressed to bd-50.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 20:54   #27168  |  Link
thecrowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
Well you seem clueless but I'll answer. I have both an Xbox One S and a Panasonic 900 (so both ends of the UHD market). Both obviously play original disks perfectly and very impressive on a 4K tv with HDR. I have also ripped ISO images (and I believe there are currently 250 to 300 which have been done by others) and then used DVDFab (or CloneBD) to compress them to bd-50, or even bd-25. Any bd burner will do them (bd-25 are about 25p and bd-50 £1) and the compressed versions (actually many uhd disks will fit on bd-50 anyway once foreign languages are removed) play fine on both, with it nearly impossible to tell the difference between bd-66 compressed to bd-50.
Well, for sure, you are a big rude, instead, and I will not even answer you.
Old 20th March 2018, 21:18   #27169  |  Link
jdobbs

@thecrowler

You are completely wrong on virtually every point you made. Unfortunately it seems you are too uninformed to even carry on a discussion about this issue. I'm not going to waste my time any longer. Writing extremely long posts is the first sign that you are attempting to defend an indefensible position. Example:
Quote:
like BD9 and BD5. NOT a standard, in any case.
Wrong... wrong... wrong... any UHD player is required by the standard to support this format. It is completely different from BD-5/9. If you were as informed as you pretend you'd know that. Maybe you should download some of the available free information (like "BD-ROM_Part3_V3.1_WhitePaper_160729") before you start making incorrect statements (especially with an attitude of authority).

Now here is where I stop this ridiculous waste of time: You are instructed (by me -- the moderator) to stop this discussion because it is off topic. Any more posts on this subject will result in strikes and possible loss of privileges on this site.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st March 2018 at 12:40.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 02:24   #27170  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrowler View Post
Well, for sure, you are a big rude, instead, and I will not even answer you.
There was absolutely nothing rude in drmih's posting.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 02:30   #27171  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
It is completely different from BD-5/9.
BD5 and BD9 are different from BD-5 and BD-9? Damn, to me the only difference was a poster's use of the dash, or no dash. Color me confused.

UPDATE: I can't find any difference between the two (https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/...iscs-type.html). It is interesting that UHD players are required to play them, while BD players are not (my Samsung won't).

According to wiki: As of March 2011, BD9 was removed as an official BD-ROM disc. (http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Do...2_20121210.pdf)

Last edited by MrVideo; 21st March 2018 at 02:54.
Old 21st March 2018, 02:37   #27172  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
BD5 and BD9 are different from BD-5 and BD-9? Damn, to me the only difference was a poster's use of the dash, or no dash. Color me confused.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 03:53   #27173  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
I get the feeling that I misunderstood jdobbs post.
Old 21st March 2018, 12:26   #27174  |  Link
jdobbs

Please... let’s move on. Let’s try and stick to bug reports and observations about BD-RB, ok?
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:24   #27175  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Right-O... JD, I know you've been busy..but I am curious if you looked into the rerenderers and were able to reproduce what I posted. Not in a hurry.
Old 29th March 2018, 14:37   #27176  |  Link
Imperial Zeppelin

Anyone else have A/V sync issues w/The Last Jedi??? It seems that the soundtracks lags a good second behind the video. I got a good, clean AnyDVD to ISO in that that ISO plays fine, but the BD-Rebuilder ISO has the lag.

Advice appreciated!!
Windows 7 64-bit
3.5 Terabytes Mass Storage
2 BD Burners, 2 DVD burners
Lots of other "Stuff"
Imperial Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 21:52   #27177  |  Link
kufo

@Imperial Zeppelin
The bug is not to look at BD Rebuilder. There is a problem with shrinking the file and a high quality sound track, e.g. Dolby athmos.
I have this problem with the UHD Deepwater Horizon. There is the delay about 3 seconds. Try to convert the soundtrack to AC3 5.1.
That could fix the problem already.
kufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 11:11   #27178  |  Link
Imperial Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufo View Post
@Imperial Zeppelin
The bug is not to look at BD Rebuilder. There is a problem with shrinking the file and a high quality sound track, e.g. Dolby athmos.
I have this problem with the UHD Deepwater Horizon. There is the delay about 3 seconds. Try to convert the soundtrack to AC3 5.1.
That could fix the problem already.
Thanks kufo, I tried again with ALL audio options unchecked in BD Rebuilder and there still was a delay, but not as much as before.

Any other ideas folks???
Windows 7 64-bit
3.5 Terabytes Mass Storage
2 BD Burners, 2 DVD burners
Lots of other "Stuff"

Last edited by Imperial Zeppelin; 30th March 2018 at 15:08.
Imperial Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 02:21   #27179  |  Link
slvrsrfr

Jessica Jones Season 1 DVD imports episodes out of order

Quote:
There are many discs where the M2TS sequencing doesn't match the order. BD Rebuilder does analysis to determine and present episodes in the proper order wherever it can -- such as using "Play All" playlist ordering, or the order they are found in navigation command lists. It does similar analysis on DVD imports. No algorithm is perfect -- but it does pretty well.

Episodes don't have to be in a single M2TS for BD-RB, it constructs them into one when it imports.

That certainly isn't true with a BD-RB import (as opposed to a traditional "rip"). You have to create a new menu, new playlists, and even reconstruct the M2TS when they are segmented. It's even more true when importing from DVD to BD format. BD-RB also can combine multiple discs into a single structure.
I've imported 4 DVDs of season 1 of Jessica Jones to BD, but the 13 episodes are sequenced out of order from how they were on the DVDs. For example, the 2nd episode on the menu after importing is actually the third one from the DVD. Can this still be an issue? I found the post above, but didn't come across a newer post that might have indicated how to resolve this

Any suggestions appreciated.
slvrsrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 13:27   #27180  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
.... and more discussions are ongoing here:
http://rationalqm.us/board/viewtopic...t=617&start=60
Some good advancements made so far
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote