Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th August 2020, 20:00   #60001  |  Link
SamuriHL

I don't want "madvr pro". I want "madvr rtx".
Old 29th August 2020, 23:46   #60002  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Doubtful. That's way too expensive for your average user, IMHO. And it will really motivate the crackers.
No it isn't. A decent video card costs much more than that.
*MidnightWatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 01:27   #60003  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

False analogy. Hardware is not software and their cost drivers are completely different.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 02:12   #60004  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
False analogy. Hardware is not software and their cost drivers are completely different.
It wasn't an analogy. Someone willing to spend $500 on a video card for an HTPC can buy madVR for $100.
Old 30th August 2020, 05:14   #60005  |  Link
ryrynz

I think that basically leaving things more or less as is and probably selling envy hardware at consumer friendly price points would be the way to go.. Like if it's an extra few hundy on top of a standard RTX or something then I'd be keen to just buy the hardware. Can't imagine the software is going to evolve in future anywhere near the levels of previous development.. I expect 1.0 is probably now very close to done in terms of a feature set compared to his initial plans. Thems the breaks I guess.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th August 2020 at 05:18.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 09:40   #60006  |  Link
brad86

Shame MadVR updates have pretty much stopped. By the time Envy releases, TV processing would have advanced enough via software/hardware to make a dedicated hardware solution like Envy costing thousands of Pounds to be completely mute. Outside of maybe a few dozen buyers, it's dead-on-arrival, and it boggles my mind that it's still being developed as thas must realise this.

Thankfully, other media players are now doing HDR to SDR conversions, only lacking behind when it comes to tone mapping, which hopefully they can at least be on par with MadVR's pretty soon. I see MPV surpassing it in the near future.
brad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 10:35   #60007  |  Link
ryrynz

Remember updates haven't stopped, maybe there will be a new version THIS year.. but for those of us that already have TVs capable of good HDR tonemapping there's probably not a lot left on the table to provide us software users over what we already have with the current build aside from quality of life improvements.

There's money on the table, the enthusiast and professional AVR crowd reasonably well aware of madVR. Of course as with any business failure to adapt to the market means the possibility of becoming basically null and void as you say.
I expect it's all in at this point to strike while the iron is kind of hot, sales and our own voices will very likely guide the future here along with whatever madshi wants/is able to do, will be interesting to read his next major post.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 13:41   #60008  |  Link
NM20

Sorry if I have missed this, but Is there a guide to setup the Helix 3D Fix for Nvidia with MPC HC and Mad VR to get my 3D .MKV working again?
NM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 16:04   #60009  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I think that basically leaving things more or less as is and probably selling envy hardware at consumer friendly price points would be the way to go.. Like if it's an extra few hundy on top of a standard RTX or something then I'd be keen to just buy the hardware. Can't imagine the software is going to evolve in future anywhere near the levels of previous development.. I expect 1.0 is probably now very close to done in terms of a feature set compared to his initial plans. Thems the breaks I guess.
The one thing about the Envy that's not clear to many people is that for it to work with input devices such as streaming devices, BluRay players, etc., it has to handle HDCP protection from input to output. That requires a special HDMI input card that is not allowed to be sold separately and full HDCP certification for the entire box.

So, you can't just buy the hardware.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 16:35   #60010  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MidnightWatcher* View Post
It wasn't an analogy. Someone willing to spend $500 on a video card for an HTPC can buy madVR for $100.
Wrong again. Sure, they "can" spend $100 bucks but will they? I spent beaucoup bucks on a 2080RTX but wouldn't spend $100 for MadVR. If the author thought he could get people to cough that up he would have done so long ago. And the crackers would break it and start selling it for $50 or give it away free.
Old 30th August 2020, 17:11   #60011  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Wrong again. Sure, they "can" spend $100 bucks but will they? I spent beaucoup bucks on a 2080RTX but wouldn't spend $100 for MadVR. If the author thought he could get people to cough that up he would have done so long ago. And the crackers would break it and start selling it for $50 or give it away free.
Agreed, not everyone would be willing to spend $100. However, there are plenty of us here who would like to reward madshi appropriately for all that he's given us for free over the years. Maybe it should be a combination of purchase price and optional donation.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2020, 18:08   #60012  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Sure, and I would pay a reasonable amount too.

At $100 people start looking for cracks. The crackers even go after my $15 stuff (which is actually just a few dollars when you consider that one donation gets you all my protected apps). They do it for prestige. Cracking madVR would be very prestigious! My defense is to have
somewhat tough to break code and to release new builds very often. They can't keep up with me and cracks after the first don't carry the same prestige. I also play games with build numbers to keep them a little confused.

Last edited by videoh; 31st August 2020 at 00:09.
Old 30th August 2020, 18:19   #60013  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
your dvd preset for 24 should be never true because even a 23p decoded DVD has a deint FPS of 48.
Except in the cases where you manually force film mode/force disable deinterlacing (=weave)/enable IVTC upstream of madVR.
Old 30th August 2020, 21:10   #60014  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Let's look at an example. The following script selects one of 4 profiles, depending on the source dimensions and the frame rate after deinterlacing. I think the script is pretty much self explaining:
the profile doesn't care if the source is deint or not using deintfps simply means assume it is deinterlace and report the value after deint is applied.

that's why the official "guide" doesn't used FPS check if not needed doesn't start with elseif and doesn't end with elseif.
Code:
if      (srcWidth <= 1050) and (srcHeight <= 768) and (deintFps < 31) "SD 24fps"
else if (srcWidth <= 1050) and (srcHeight <= 768)                     "SD 60fps"
else if                                               (deintFps < 31) "HD 24fps"
else                                                                  "HD 60fps"
and we have this too:
Code:
fps, deintFps, bitDepth                          source frame rate, framerate after deinterlacing, bitdepth
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2020, 15:42   #60015  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
No, there is nothing objectively wrong about it. Someone willing to spend $500 on a video card for an HTPC, not to mention all the other required components, can buy madVR for $100. It's not a matter of wallet size, but rather whether they choose to buy or not to buy.

I'd personally pay double that for madVR if a madVR-friendly version of KODI v18 or higher were made available for download. IMHO, madVR is worth it.
Old 31st August 2020, 18:44   #60016  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Someone willing to spend $500 on a video card for an HTPC ... can buy madVR for $100. It's not a matter of wallet size, but rather whether they choose to buy or not to buy.
You're very slow on the uptake, but thank you for agreeing with me.
Old 31st August 2020, 19:39   #60017  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the profile doesn't care if the source is deint or not using deintfps simply means assume it is deinterlace and report the value after deint is applied.
Sorry but that's incorrect, deintFps represents the actual framerate before presenting, not a supposed framerate if deinterlacing was applied to the source. I use deintFps in my script too, with LFR and HFR profiles, and with interlaced sources it dynamically switches profiles depending on whether deinterlacing is actually active or not.
Old 31st August 2020, 20:12   #60018  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
You're very slow on the uptake, but thank you for agreeing with me.
You said that $100 was "way too expensive for your average user" who can spend $500 on a video card alone. I'm not agreeing with you at all, but nice try. $100 would not be too expensive.
Old 31st August 2020, 22:25   #60019  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Sorry but that's incorrect, deintFps represents the actual framerate before presenting, not a supposed framerate if deinterlacing was applied to the source. I use deintFps in my script too, with LFR and HFR profiles, and with interlaced sources it dynamically switches profiles depending on whether deinterlacing is actually active or not.
ok found why it doesn't work correctly for me it's progressive DVD that make it fail. so this is wrong:

Quote:
your dvd preset for 24 should be never true because even a 23p decoded DVD has a deint FPS of 48.
while it will "never" be true is "correct" but the reason is not because the deintFPS is 48 it's because the reported frame rate is 29 and this only applies to progressive decoded soft telecine dvds.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2020, 03:27   #60020  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
I'm not agreeing with you at all
Send madshi a PM informing him that he is leaving so much revenue untapped. You could be a star!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling