Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th May 2014, 12:32   #1  |  Link
koliva
Beginner

Good practice of transmitting live video over wifi

Hi,

Imagine that I have a server which listens for clients over wifi. At a certain moment, a client connects to the server and starts streaming a live video encoded in H.264. There can be many different clients connected at the same time. I am now trying to figure out a good way to implement data communication in between the client and the server. Is RTP or RTSP a good option out there? Is there any research or source where I can find some comparison between different techniques? Please don't suggest me to use VLC or any other software since I am willing to to it myself

Last edited by Guest; 16th May 2014 at 15:28. Reason: rule 12: don't ask what's best
koliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 23:43   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I can't speak on best practices for an application like this, but one VERY simple way to get started is to just stream MPEG-TS over UDP - multicast or unicast. Going multicast is trickier, but may make things easier on your streaming server.

ffmpeg can do this easily.
Old 17th May 2014, 03:12   #3  |  Link
vood007

The Clients stream to the server? Sounds like Video Conferencing. Maybe WebRTC?

Quote:
WebRTC offers web application developers the ability to write rich, realtime multimedia applications (think video chat) on the web, without requiring plugins, downloads or installs. It's purpose is to help build a strong RTC platform that works across multiple web browsers, across multiple platforms.
vood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 07:45   #4  |  Link
koliva
Beginner

@Blue_MiSfit: Server won't re-stream the coming live videos. As vood007, it will be like a video conferencing application, clients will stream their videos to the server and server will keep them to be processed. But no further streaming from then on. Implementation can be very hard or very easy doesn't matter much. I just want to know the "best" way of handling this with the current state-of-the-art technology.

@vood007: Yes, indeed it will be like video conferencing. I was looking into WebRTC but I will have my own protocol between client and server since I may add other applications later on for different systems or applications. However, it would be a nice idea if I can extract the h.264 bitstream generated by webRTC, then I can feed it into my protocol? Is this possible?
koliva is offline   Reply With Quote