Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 16th January 2008, 13:43   #1  |  Link
Terka83

exist any filter specially done for (deinterlace) flicker

after deinterlace (even with mv/mcbob) some parts are flickering.
when small (mostly horizontal shape) areas appears in clip, the flickering is much visible.
these areas (after deinterlace) needs some deflicker.
look at
http://www.pate15.de/entrelacement/entrelacement_7.htm
http://www.pate15.de/entrelacement/p...m-mvbobmod.avi
Terka83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 05:36   #2  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

maybe try Repair, in Kassandro's removegrain package.

that might calm down the bobby bits.

i'd love to see a perfect bob, but it's one of those intractable "holy grail" problems - pulling detail out that simply isn't there, and doing it in a way that a human wont notice (computers as yet can't "watch" video in the same way we do, and most of the problems we have processing video stem from this fact).
Old 19th January 2008, 08:12   #3  |  Link
g_aleph_r

I find Yadifmod: Perfect!!
I use this script:
interpe = clip.separatefields().selecteven().nnedi(field=1,dh=true)
interpo = clip.separatefields().selectodd()turn180().nnedi(field=1,dh=true).turn180()
interp = interleave(interpe,interpo)
yadifmod(clip,mode=1,edeint=interp)

Perfect! (I had to deinterlace real interlaced clip)
g_aleph_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 12:42   #4  |  Link
2Bdecided

Is that really better than mcbob with NNEDI? It's probably faster, but less safe/intelligent. Useful though, thanks!

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 02:08   #5  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_aleph_r View Post
I find Yadifmod: Perfect!!
I use this script:
interpe = clip.separatefields().selecteven().nnedi(field=1,dh=true)
interpo = clip.separatefields().selectodd()turn180().nnedi(field=1,dh=true).turn180()
yadifmod(clip,mode=1,edeint=interp)

Perfect! (I had to deinterlace real interlaced clip)
Sorry to revive an old thread (I've been accused of necromancing before ), but what is the logic behind rotating the separated top fields before NNEDI in relation to reducing vertical flicker (shimmering or over-bobbing, as I'd call it)?
Old 16th May 2008, 04:22   #6  |  Link
WorBry

Here’s an example of the type of deinterlace situation I’m grappling with – resolving striped patterns with minimal shimmering.

DV Source (50i, 16.9 anamorphic)

http://rapidshare.com/files/11522330...rphic.avi.html

Deinterlaced 50p outputs:
(Decoder: Cedocida YV12, MPEG2 interlaced. Encoder: FFDShow HuffYuv-YV12)

yadifmod(order=0, mode=1, edeint=nnedi(field=-2))

http://rapidshare.com/files/11522397...-YV12.avi.html

interpe = separatefields().selecteven().nnedi(field=1, dh=true)
interpo = separatefields().selectodd().turn180().nnedi(field=1, dh=true).turn180()
yadifmod(order=0,mode=1,edeint=interp)

http://rapidshare.com/files/11522448...-YV12.avi.html

MCBob 0.3u

http://rapidshare.com/files/11522499...-YV12.avi.html

Actually, yadifmod-NNEDI does a pretty decent job, but rotating the odd (top) fields before NNEDI, if anything, generates more misalignment and flicker/shimmering.

Any suggestions for improvement?
Old 16th May 2008, 10:51   #7  |  Link
2Bdecided

The first thing to say is that, in interlaced video, there is complete confusion between high vertical spatial frequencies (fine detail) and vertical motion of approx 1 video line per field. The two cannot be resolved, theoretically. Even if you watch such footage on an interlaced CRT, what you see can sometimes look a little strange.

What to do? Well, this probably won't help, but IMO when there are problems like this, then the best visual result is a dumb bob to 50fps, and correct playback of that 50fps result. The eye does a much better job of selectively averaging the two fields than any of these tools, at the expensive of perceived vertical resolution of course. Try it (if your 50fps playback works well on your system) - you might be surprised how good it can look.

Alternatively, for a similar perceived effect but written into the video itself, you can add an aggressive temporal soften. the problem is this will mess up other parts of the image. If you could do this selectively to the problem areas, it would be a great solution. Look at the strips after a simple bob(0.0,1.0).temporalsoften(1,255,255,mode=2) - I'm guessing that's what you want to happen? Shame about the other parts of the frame!

If you only want 25fps, then a dumb approach won't give bobbing, but aliasing. You could try blending to 25fps, if that's what you want.

None of these suggestions give you anything as sharp as what you've tried, but they dramatically reduce the artefacts.

FWIW I'm using mcbob 0.3c, and it make a real mess of those stripes!

Cheers,
David.

Last edited by 2Bdecided; 16th May 2008 at 11:00.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 17:08   #8  |  Link
map1742

Having similar prolems with some of my videos so I just tried combining the suggestions from 2Bdecided's post; dumb bob to 50fps, removing the vertical motion, and correct playback of that 50fps result (by reinterlacing and then deinterlacing the result with yadifmod or mcbob). Vertical resolution appears to be preserved, the majority of artifacts are removed and the use of mcbob may be acceptable. A long temporal filter is required to minimise the residual flicker.

#Resize to 1:1 aspect ratio
Spline36Resize(1024,height)
# Dumb bob then motion stabilise
bob(0.0, 1.0)
i=last
mdata = DePanEstimate(i)
DePanStabilize(i, data=mdata)
#Reinterlace
AssumeFrameBased().SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).assumefieldbased().weave()
#Deinterlace
#Long temporal fileter to minimise residual flicker
Scripted_MVDegrain5Filter()
map1742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 18:37   #9  |  Link
Didée

Yay, the old prob of not knowing what's in those missing lines ... we've been there before, haven't we?

EDI interpolators too are struggling (and failing) often times with those high-contrast patterns. And when you start right out with EDI interpolation, then you can throw MVStuff at it afterwards as much as you like ... it will mostly just follow & compensate the flicker, and there your effort goes down the drain. Unless the effort is big enough to blurrr the crap out of it and to hammer everything flaaat ...

@ WorBry: What're your expectations?

Perhaps like so ?

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 21:53   #10  |  Link
WorBry

My expectations? Well I wasnt expecting miracles, bearing in mind also the limitations of line resolution coming from a consumer-level SD DV camcorder, in this case a Panasonic NV-GS400, which is about as good as it gets for interlaced DV. Granted the clip was shot under artificial light so there's some discrimination of noise and detail to deal with there also.

So my best hope was to reduce the shimmering to a level that is not so visually distracting with as little loss of definition as possible...pretty much along the lines of what your TGB treatment achieves.

I was thinking that Vinverse or one of the SangNom anti-aliasing routines (e.g. SAA) might help but wasnt sure how to apply these in this context.....on the fields, before or after NNEDI interp?

Sooooo...are you going to reveal how the TGB trick is done or do I first need to join the Magic Circle and make a solemn oath?

Last edited by WorBry; 16th May 2008 at 22:11.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 22:31   #11  |  Link
Didée

Well, joining the Magic Circle surely is an option. Waiting for me making a clean script is anther one (you won't believe how knotty and non-understandable my scripts can get after an hour of toying around!). Though I can't foresee if it'll work correctly under all possible circumstances; most probably it won't. Whatever approach one takes, there will always be compromises to be made at some point.

Thing is, you can't really fight this flickering with spatial filters, Vinverse, AntiAliasing & Co. are out of the game. Using temporal filtering works wonders in static areas, and catastrophic in motion areas. Keeping both apart is difficult when not using motion compensation. And with motion compensation - as already said - the flicker tends to get "motion" compensated too, so that the temporal sword loses its sharpness. It's like Mug Funky concluded in post#2, a machine doesn't see the real problem. It tends to choose the "closest" solution, where man's brain wishes to have the solution that's only after the third corner, or even farther.
Or: to find a solution that satisfies a neural network (->brain), you need a neural network to find that solution. Simple pixel compairing mechanics will always fall short, sooner or later. It's the *interpretation* of the actual content that is needed, and that is beyond cheap scripting ...

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 16th May 2008, 23:21   #12  |  Link
roozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1742 View Post
#Resize to 1:1 aspect ratio
Spline36Resize(1024,height)
bob(0.0, 1.0)
i=last
mdata = DePanEstimate(i)
DePanStabilize(i, data=mdata)
#Reinterlace
AssumeFrameBased().SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).assumefieldbased().weave()
#Deinterlace
Is it safe to resize before deinterlacing?
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 23:38   #13  |  Link
Didée

When resizing only horizontally and NOT vertically, then it's safe, yes.

The script I had used, cleaned up, a bit generalized & put into a function for convenience:

Edit 2008-05-20 : corrected gaussian weightings !
Edit 2008-05-23 : new version - improved speed and results
Edit 2008-05-24 : new version - more parameters allow more speedy processing

Edit 2008-05-27 : fixed bugs for "tr0=1" and "tr2=3"
Code:
# needed: MVTools, RemoveGrain/Repair, MaskTools v2, NNEDI, plus EEDI2 & Yadif for the fast modes

function TempGaussMC_alpha3(clip clp, int "tr0", int "tr1", int "tr2", float "sharpness", bool "rep0", bool "rep1", int "border", int "blocksize", int "overlap", string "EdiMode", int "draft")
{
tr0       = default( tr0,     2 )  #  temporal radius for temporal Gauss before motion compensation (1 or 2)
tr1       = default( tr1,     2 )  #  temporal radius for temporal Gauss with motion compensation (1 or 2)
tr2       = default( tr2,     1 )  #  temporal radius for final MVDegrain (1, 2 or 3)
rep0      = default( rep0, true )  #  repair temporalsoften-defects for searchclip
rep1      = default( rep1, true )  #  repair MVDegrain-defects for output 
border    = default( border,  1 )  #  1 = padd borders internally to catch "half scanlines" at top + bottom (broadcast material)
bs        = default( blocksize,8)  #  Blocksize for motion search
ovlp      = default( overlap,bs/2) # Overlap size for ME blocks
sharpness = default( sharpness, 0.25+(tr1+tr2)/8.) # "inloop" sharpening to counteract softening, 0.0 to 1.0, or more if you like
EdiMode   = default( EdiMode, "NNEDI") # interpolator to use: "NNEDI", "EEDI2" or "Yadif"
draft     = default( draft, 0 )    #  '1' outputs a quick draft, and '2' is even more draft'ier  :p

trmax     = (tr1 > tr2) ? tr1 : tr2
nullclip  = blankclip(clp,width=16,height=16)

clp = (border==0) ? clp
 \                : clp.pointresize(clp.width(),clp.height()+8, 0,-4,-0,clp.height()+8.001 )

edi  = (EdiMode=="NNEDI") ? clp.nnedi(field=-2)
 \   : (EdiMode=="EEDI2") ? clp.SeparateFields().EEDI2(field=-2, maxd=8)
 \                        : clp.Yadif(mode=1)
dbob = clp.bob()

t1 = dbob.temporalsoften(1,255,255,32,2)
t2 = dbob.temporalsoften(2,255,255,32,2)

t  = (tr0==0) ? dbob
 \ : (tr0==1) ? t1.merge(dbob,0.25)
 \            : t1.merge(t2,0.357).merge(dbob,0.125)

tD  = mt_makediff(dbob,t,U=3,V=3) 
tD1 = tD.mt_inpand(mode="vertical",U=3,V=3).mt_deflate(U=3,V=3) .mt_expand(U=3,V=3)
tD2 = tD.mt_expand(mode="vertical",U=3,V=3).mt_inflate(U=3,V=3) .mt_inpand(U=3,V=3)
tDD = tD.mt_lutxy(tD1,"x 129 < x y 128 < 128 y ? ?",U=3,V=3).mt_lutxy(tD2,"x 127 > x y 128 > 128 y ? ?",U=3,V=3)
t2  = (rep0==true) ? t.mt_adddiff(tDD,U=3,V=3)
 \                 : t

searchclip = t2.removegrain(11).removegrain(11)
searchclip = (rep0==true) ? searchclip
 \                        : searchclip.mt_lutxy(edi,"x 2 + y < x 2 + x 2 - y > x 2 - y ? ?",U=3,V=3)

#bs   = 16
#ovlp = 4
tm   = false
pel  = 2
shrp = 2

bvec3   = (trmax>=3) ? searchclip.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=3,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=6) : nullclip
bvec2   = (trmax>=2) ? searchclip.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=2,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=6) : nullclip
bvec1   =              searchclip.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=1,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=6)
fvec1   =              searchclip.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=1,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=6)
fvec2   = (trmax>=2) ? searchclip.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=2,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=6) : nullclip
fvec3   = (trmax>=3) ? searchclip.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=3,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=6) : nullclip

mvdg1   =            edi.MVDegrain1(bvec1,fvec1,            thSAD=800,idx=7)
mvdg2   = (tr1>1) ?  edi.MVDegrain1(            bvec2,fvec2,thSAD=800,idx=7) : nullclip

stage1  = (tr1==0) ? edi
 \      : (tr1==1) ? mvdg1.merge(edi,0.25)
 \                 : mvdg1.merge(mvdg2,0.2).merge(edi,0.0625)

stage1a = stage1.mt_lutxy(stage1.removegrain(11),"x x y - "+string(sharpness)+" * +",U=3,V=3)
stage1b = (sharpness==0.0) ? stage1 : stage1a.repair(stage1a.repair(edi,12),1)

stage2  = (tr2==0) ? stage1b
 \      : (tr2==1) ? stage1b.MVDegrain1(bvec1,fvec1,                        thSAD=400,idx=8)
 \      : (tr2==2) ? stage1b.MVDegrain2(bvec1,fvec1,bvec2,fvec2,            thSAD=400,idx=8)
 \                 : stage1b.MVDegrain3(bvec1,fvec1,bvec2,fvec2,bvec3,fvec3,thSAD=400,idx=8)

tD_2    = mt_makediff(dbob,stage2,U=3,V=3) 
tD1_2   = tD_2.mt_inpand(mode="vertical",U=3,V=3).mt_deflate(U=3,V=3) .mt_expand(U=3,V=3)
tD2_2   = tD_2.mt_expand(mode="vertical",U=3,V=3).mt_inflate(U=3,V=3) .mt_inpand(U=3,V=3)
tDD_2   = tD_2.mt_lutxy(tD1_2,"x 129 < x y 128 < 128 y ? ?",U=3,V=3).mt_lutxy(tD2_2,"x 127 > x y 128 > 128 y ? ?",U=3,V=3)

stage3  = (draft==2)    ?  t .subtitle("Draft 2")
 \      : (draft==1)    ?  t2 .subtitle("Draft 1")
 \      : (rep1==true)  ?  stage2.mt_adddiff(tDD_2,U=3,V=3)
 \                      :  stage2

(border==0) ? stage3
 \          : stage3.crop(0,4,-0,-4)

return( last )
}

Last edited by Didée; 27th May 2008 at 12:08.
Old 17th May 2008, 01:25   #14  |  Link
WorBry

Wow, thats quite amazing...."slow as a migrating glacier" (to quote Leak ) of course, but very impressive and true-to-life (i.e. non-video-looking). Even my wife (our resident subjective video critic) will notice the difference...she's the one with a penchant for dressing the kids in striped tee-shirts.

So there's life in the 'old bob' yet ! Does a pretty good denoising job in the process also.

Thanks alot.

Last edited by WorBry; 17th May 2008 at 01:39.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 01:40   #15  |  Link
Didée

You're welcome. A little more "speed" (*cough*) is possible by using lower temporal radii. Sure this will also reduce the flicker reduction a bit, you've to try & see. With tr0=2 / tr1=1 / tr2=2 it's still quite stable, and you'll probably save a few hours on a complete project.

And a *denoiser* is all that this script is, indeed. A denoiser that also "denoises" bob flickering.

Old 17th May 2008, 10:51   #16  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

@roozhou:
your scirpt is somehow weird:

1) resize the video to 16x9 and bob the video
2) stabilize motion
3) re-interlace it
4) bob-deinterlace it

this is a very lossy process since 1) already avoids temporal and spatial data being catched.

it is better to use this kind of script:

Code:
i=last
mdata = DePanEstimate(i, pixaspect=1.454)
DePanStabilize(i, data=mdata, pixaspect=1.454)
It will run faster and it will show a much less blurred image.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 14:05   #17  |  Link
WorBry

Of course, I'd like to compare this approach with Didee's TempGaussMC.

Where can the Scripted_MVDegrain5 filter be found ?
Old 17th May 2008, 14:31   #18  |  Link
jeffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
Of course, I'd like to compare this approach with Didee's TempGaussMC.

Where can the Scripted_MVDegrain5 filter be found ?
I'm afraid nowhere. You would have to script it on your own.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 14:47   #19  |  Link
Didée

Exactly. The result could look similar to this:

Edit 2008-05-20 : corrected vectors for distances 4 & 5 ...
Code:
function Scripted_MVDegrain5(clip clp, bool "truemotion", int "pel", int "blksize", int "overlap", int "sharp", int "thSAD", int "idx")
{

tm    = default( truemotion, true )
pel   = default( pel,           2 )
bs    = default( blksize,       8 )
ovlp  = default( overlap,       0 )
shrp  = default( sharp,         1 )
thSAD = default( thSAD,       400 )
idx   = default( idx,          11 )

bvec5 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=5,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
bvec4 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=4,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
bvec3 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=3,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
bvec2 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=2,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
bvec1 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=true, delta=1,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
fvec1 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=1,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
fvec2 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=2,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
fvec3 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=3,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
fvec4 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=4,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)
fvec5 = clp.MVAnalyse(isb=false,delta=5,truemotion=tm,pel=pel,sharp=shrp,blksize=bs,overlap=ovlp,idx=idx)

mvdg3 = clp.MVDegrain3(bvec1,fvec1,bvec2,fvec2,bvec3,fvec3,thSAD=thSAD,idx=idx)
mvdg5 = mvdg3.MVDegrain2(bvec4,fvec4,bvec5,fvec5,thSAD=thSAD,idx=idx) 
 \           .Merge(mvdg3, 0.436) # correct weightings (hopefully)

return( mvdg5 )
}
Feel free to implement more MVAnalyse parameters, parameters error checking, etc. pp. by yourself ...

Last edited by Didée; 20th May 2008 at 16:01.
Old 17th May 2008, 18:06   #20  |  Link
map1742

Scharfis_brain,

For this example “smart“ deinterlacers are unable to handle the vertical motion between fields without producing artefacts. Mcbob in this case fails spectacularly with patches of double frequency strips appearing. These artefacts are not being filtered with MVtools, either they have a high contrast and thus a high SAD or the block based MVtools is following the artefacts and reinforcing them.

Didee described this beautifully in post #9 above.

Just using a dumb bob and then temporal filtering to reduce the flicker losses the advantages of “smart“ deinterlacers such EDI interpolation and increased vertical resolution on static areas.

Hence this experiment with global motion-compensate before using a smart deinterlacer. The global estimation to follow the content and not the flicker. A dumb bob followed by re-interlacing should be lossless if there is no movement and if there is movement then the vertical low-passed filtered dumb bob output is exactly what we need to avoid aliasing.

A common problem with content from hand held video camera content. I see it with my own footage and it is compounded by sharpening halos on horizontal edges. I now remove these halos on each field before smart deinterlacing and will try adding global motion compensation as well.
map1742 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deinterlace, flickering