Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 20th February 2014, 15:16   #19321  |  Link
Capsbackup

@DoctorM,
Have you tried setting the output size to BD-50?
If your goal is to not reencode, and you are certain the output will fit a BD-25 when unwanted audio and subtitles are removed, then this should keep BD-RB from reencoding any files.
If any of the files are not Blu-ray compliant resolution though, then reencoding must take place!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:35   #19322  |  Link
jdobbs

@Stigmatta

I mentioned this earlier. I suspect that the series discs you are trying to backup use JAVA for the menus. AVCHD doesn't support JAVA. Some players are strict when it comes to DVD discs, and will only play them if they strictly comply with AVCHD. Are you sure that isn't the case with your series backups?

The second possibility is burner issues. BD-RB will output to your hard drive before burning to disc. Have you tried playing the folder on the hard drive with PowerDVD?
Old 20th February 2014, 15:41   #19323  |  Link
Stigmatta

I honestly dont know. Im trying game of thrones and the simpsons. How can i find out if they do use java? Sorry to sound stupid if its easy to do lol.
Stigmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:46   #19324  |  Link
Stigmatta

Im ripping to my hard drive but not burning the files with BDRB, im dropping the files into IMGBURN.
Yes, i can play the m2ts files fine in powerdvd
Old 20th February 2014, 15:49   #19325  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigmatta View Post
Im ripping to my hard drive but not burning the files with BDRB, im dropping the files into IMGBURN.
Yes, i can play the m2ts files fine in powerdvd
But can you play the BD structure? You should be able to play it (in PowerDVD) with menus and all by selecting the folder. I'm not talking about the folder you ripped, I mean the one that is created by BD-RB in your working folder.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th February 2014 at 15:52.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 16:11   #19326  |  Link
Stigmatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
But can you play the BD structure? You should be able to play it (in PowerDVD) with menus and all by selecting the folder. I'm not talking about the folder you ripped, I mean the one that is created by BD-RB in your working folder.

Ok, so i dragged and dropped the folders on Powerdvd and the picture is all black but does look like it would work if i could see the menus. My only guess its some kind of menus problem...? Some kind of java situation with these titles like you stated? Any other options for some kind of work around?
Old 20th February 2014, 17:51   #19327  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Ok, so i dragged and dropped the folders on Powerdvd and the picture is all black but does look like it would work if i could see the menus. My only guess its some kind of menus problem...? Some kind of java situation with these titles like you stated? Any other options for some kind of work around?
Import the disc, and then do a full backup of the import (to get it down to size). That will create a disc without JAVA that contains all the episodes.

Of course, if the problem turns out to be your burner -- you'll still be in the same boat.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th February 2014 at 17:56.
Old 20th February 2014, 20:08   #19328  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
@DoctorM,
Have you tried setting the output size to BD-50?
If your goal is to not reencode, and you are certain the output will fit a BD-25 when unwanted audio and subtitles are removed, then this should keep BD-RB from reencoding any files.
If any of the files are not Blu-ray compliant resolution though, then reencoding must take place!
Just a note: You have to be careful with when selecting larger sizes in order to force BD-RB to keep original video intact. If your intent is to output to BD-5/9 -- the VIDEO HAS TO BE RE-ENCODED and it should NEVER be forced to be kept intact by setting a larger size or asserting the FORCE_NOENCODE hidden option. This is because the maximum bitrate for BD-5/9 is much, much lower than BD-25/50. Forcing BD-RB to keep something intact that is destined for BD-5/9 will likely result in severe playback issues. The disc transfer rate of the DVD media will not be able to keep up with the original bitrate.

If left to it's own devices, BD-RB will never keep video destined for BD-5/9 intact. So anyone who decides to "get-around" this should be warned that they are creating a self-inflicted-wound that is NOT the fault of the software.
Old 20th February 2014, 20:38   #19329  |  Link
Stigmatta

Well i tried doing the import thing you asked and it still seems to be some sort of menus issue, even when i drop into Powerdvd. Anyone else have problems with Game of thrones or Simpsons blurays possibly besides me? Oh well, i might call it quits on these, as i really dont wanna make them into mkv/mp4 files...
Old 20th February 2014, 20:40   #19330  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Just a note: You have to be careful with when selecting larger sizes in order to force BD-RB to keep original video intact. If your intent is to output to BD-5/9 -- the VIDEO HAS TO BE RE-ENCODED and it should NEVER be forced to be kept intact by setting a larger size or asserting the FORCE_NOENCODE hidden option. This is because the maximum bitrate for BD-5/9 is much, much lower than BD-25/50. Forcing BD-RB to keep something intact that is destined for BD-5/9 will likely result in severe playback issues. The disc transfer rate of the DVD media will not be able to keep up with the original bitrate.

If left to it's own devices, BD-RB will never keep video destined for BD-5/9 intact. So anyone who decides to "get-around" this should be warned that they are creating a self-inflicted-wound that is NOT the fault of the software.
Jdobbs, I suggest put it on first post, otherwise it will get buried and folks will complain when error occurs.

Last edited by HWK; 20th February 2014 at 20:45.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 22:03   #19331  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Well i tried doing the import thing you asked and it still seems to be some sort of menus issue, even when i drop into Powerdvd. Anyone else have problems with Game of thrones or Simpsons blurays possibly besides me? Oh well, i might call it quits on these, as i really dont wanna make them into mkv/mp4 files...
There's definitely something wrong from your end. The HDMV menus from IMPORTING are created by BD-RB -- they aren't even on the original.
Old 20th February 2014, 22:10   #19332  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Jdobbs, I suggest put it on first post, otherwise it will get buried and folks will complain when error occurs.
I added it to the sticky "BD Rebuilder (BD-RB) Frequently Asked Questions"
Old 20th February 2014, 22:13   #19333  |  Link
Stigmatta

Ya maybe ill do a format of my comp this weekend and see how things go if i cant get it worked out. thanks for your help.
Old 20th February 2014, 22:22   #19334  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Ya maybe ill do a format of my comp this weekend and see how things go if i cant get it worked out. thanks for your help.
Check that burner...
Old 21st February 2014, 01:20   #19335  |  Link
Stigmatta

Looks like i figured it out!!!
So, for the hell of it, i tried playing the original bluray in PowerDVD and it ended up crashing and saying my display was not HDCP compliant which i thought seemed very wierd. So i ended up doing some research and also remembered i just recently hooked up my monitor with a mini-hdmi cable. As soon as i got home from work i switched my monitor back to using a DVI cable instead, and instantly NVIDIA control panel said my monitor was now hdcp compliant. So i dropped one of those folders i made onto PowerDVD and BAM, it played!!! So it seems all it was, was just an HDCP issue and just a stupid little mini-hdmi cable, ughhhhh. Guess ill just have to re-rip these discs which isnt a big deal.
Old 21st February 2014, 01:45   #19336  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Looks like i figured it out!!!
So, for the hell of it, i tried playing the original bluray in PowerDVD and it ended up crashing and saying my display was not HDCP compliant which i thought seemed very wierd. So i ended up doing some research and also remembered i just recently hooked up my monitor with a mini-hdmi cable. As soon as i got home from work i switched my monitor back to using a DVI cable instead, and instantly NVIDIA control panel said my monitor was now hdcp compliant. So i dropped one of those folders i made onto PowerDVD and BAM, it played!!! So it seems all it was, was just an HDCP issue and just a stupid little mini-hdmi cable, ughhhhh. Guess ill just have to re-rip these discs which isnt a big deal.
Good to know you got it worked out. Thanks.
Old 21st February 2014, 01:54   #19337  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Pop-up error: tsmuxer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Seriously, that log was about it. Here is the full log going from a BD25 to BD25 movie only (just for the quick log):
Code:
[02/19/14] BD Rebuilder v0.46.13 (beta)
[01:59:35] Source:  ***
  - Input BD size: 21.79 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:09:44.777]
  - Target BD size: 22.95 GB
  - Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
  - MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
  - Quality: Highest (Very Slow), CRF
  - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[01:59:37] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [01:59:37] Processing: VID_00001 (1 of 1)
 - [01:59:37] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
 - Error in attempt to extract audio/subs.
 - Network Optix tsMuxeR.  Version 2.6.12. www.networkoptix.com
[02:00:07] - Failed to retrieve audio, aborted
Has there been a change in the version of tsMuxeR? Does the new one have different system requirements or something?

Edit: Yeah, swapped out the tsmuxer.exe with an older one and it works fine. Something hinky in new version.
Edit 2: Just tested a dozen versions of tsmuxer, I can't run any version past 1.10.6. Something in the new code either doesn't like my WinXP or old CPU.
Hopefully, I can keep copying 1.10.6 into your new releases and it'll work. My PC isn't getting upgraded any time soon and I sure won't want to be doing without BDRB.

Edit 3: Noticed something else. "Input BD size" shown in the log still includes the disabled audio and subtitle tracks.
I've now seen this force an unnecessary re-encoding. It probably also causes undersized discs.
Quote:
I completely understand you not supporting a really old CPU. I'll continue to swap tsmuxer or use old versions as long as I have to. That's my problem.
But the calculations for that take place before Tsmuxer becomes involved.

Unless you've addressed an issue with the "BD Input Size" being wrong recently, you should take a look. Same log: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...41#post1669241
The original M2TS is 21.79gb as being reported, but more than a gig of audio tracks were disabled there. BDRB doesn't deduct that and forces a re-encode even though only a rebuild is needed.

True for Movie Only and Movie with Menus.
Quote:

Yes I am aware of this for BD5-BD9 size.
But DoctorM was referring to only having to remove some audio files to avoid reencoding, and keep BD-25 size. But since he stated BD-RB was reencoding it anyways, even though he felt it should fit to a BD-25, I mentioned this method would certainly avoid reencoding if to fit BD-25 was the goal.
However, since the source movie was removed/edited from his log, we cannot tell if this is a BD compliant Blu-ray.(1920x1080, etc...) If it is not, then BD-RB must reencode it, regardless of size, to make it compliant.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 06:28   #19338  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
However, since the source movie was removed/edited from his log, we cannot tell if this is a BD compliant Blu-ray.(1920x1080, etc...) If it is not, then BD-RB must reencode it, regardless of size, to make it compliant.
As later mentioned, it's the Tinker Bell movie. Thanks for making me say it twice.

Code:
General
ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
Complete name                            : .\Tinktest\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
Format                                   : BDAV
Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
File size                                : 23.8 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 17mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 43.7 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : 27
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 29.8 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 31.9 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.600
Stream size                              : 16.3 GiB (68%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
And again, the .INI was showing: REDUCTION=.964848001957923
So it isn't re-encoding because of the format.

Last edited by DoctorM; 21st February 2014 at 06:31.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 14:16   #19339  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yes I am aware of this for BD5-BD9 size.
But DoctorM was referring to only having to remove some audio files to avoid reencoding, and keep BD-25 size. But since he stated BD-RB was reencoding it anyways, even though he felt it should fit to a BD-25, I mentioned this method would certainly avoid reencoding if to fit BD-25 was the goal.
When I post things, it isn't always just an answer to one post -- I try to aim at the entire reading audience.
Old 21st February 2014, 14:18   #19340  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
As later mentioned, it's the Tinker Bell movie. Thanks for making me say it twice.

Code:
General
ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
Complete name                            : .\Tinktest\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
Format                                   : BDAV
Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
File size                                : 23.8 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 43.7 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : 27
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 29.8 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 31.9 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.600
Stream size                              : 16.3 GiB (68%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
And again, the .INI was showing: REDUCTION=.964848001957923
So it isn't re-encoding because of the format.
If it says .965 -- then BD-RB has calculated that it must be reencoded to reduce that required 3.5%.

Quote:
File size : 23.8 GiB
The default target size is: 22.95GB

According to one of the logs you posted you are keeping HD audio:
Quote:
Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
HD audio can be very large, and is probably the reason the video needs to be reduced. HD audio can also have a huge amount of muxing overhead (13-35% depending on the type).

I don't even know why we're having this discussion. BD-RB has the required files right in front of it from the demux and simply adds them up when it does the calculations.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st February 2014 at 15:17.