Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th August 2017, 21:08   #44861  |  Link
el Filou

I confirm no more crashes for me with build 0.92.1b !

Noted for NNEDI, I will try NGU.
Old 19th August 2017, 21:26   #44862  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
SVPtube+mpv?
With mpv you can just use youtube-dl very easily (and this doesn't have buffer problems), but I want to use madVR.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 21:33   #44863  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Does it list correctly in madVR's "display modes" tab? And does the OS still list 23 and 24?
Nevermind, this must be a nvidia bug. Win 10 still lists both the modified 23Hz mode and the original 24Hz mode and both work fine.
So it's only fucked in the nvidia control panel.

Quote:
Need a crash report text file.
It pretty much crashes every time when I move MPC-HC from my main monitor to my TV screen while a video is playing. It doesn't crash when pausing the video before dragging it over, so not really a big deal but it would still be nice if it could be fixed.

Crash report attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash.txt (42.2 KB, 44 views)
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 21:52   #44864  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Sorry for not being clear enough. I'll try to be as precise as possible in my next answers.

Quote:
So it seems the custom mode is only effective in FSE mode? Or is it the other way round, and the custom mode is only effective in windowed mode? Are you 100% sure which is which
What it boils down to is that when FSE activates, it calls the custom mode. Then, while the file is playing, I am able to use that custom mode in non-fullscreen windowed or fullscreen windowed (if I disable FSE in the settings).
I am 100% sure that the mode summoned by FSE is the custom one (vastly improved frame drop frequency).

Quote:
I'm currently not able to create *any* custom modes for standard refresh rates with my Nvidia driver. So I can't reproduce it here.

Your explanations leave me a bit confused. Can you make screenshots of the "display modes" tab, and tell me which refresh rates the OS offers you to switch to? And maybe also make a screenshot of the Nvidia control panel? Then maybe I understand better what happens.

And how does this new post of yours match together with your old? They somehow seem to contradict each other, because the old post seems to say that the custom mode is effective in FSE mode but not in windowed mode, but the new post seems to suggest that the custom mode is only effective if you activate it through the Nvidia control panel.
Here are the screenshots :

The custom modes in the nvidia control panel were created by madvr. Once I check the checkbox in front of them, they are available to select through the nvidia selection box, in the custom section. So if I changed the display using the nvidia control panel to that custom mode and launch a 23p file without triggering a display mode change, it is correctly using the new custom mode. Otherwise, switching to 23p either by using the standard windows display settings or using the madvr display mode switcher uses the standard 23p mode.

So my two posts aren't contradictory, but complementary : the first one gives an example of how I was able to trigger the custom mode using the FSE trick (without fiddling in the nvidia cpl), and the second one shows that I can directly summon the same custom mode through the nvidia cpl, but that the same custom mode won't be called by the windows display settings or madvr display mode switcher. So I am able to use the custom mode, but not without using roundabout ways each time.

(This is really a b***h to explain )
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 21:53   #44865  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Those of you who have crash problems with v0.92.1, can you please try this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR0921b.rar

Does this fix the issue for you?
Seems to fix it for me.

Also the "Display Modes" now only appears once rather than twice on the display connected to the AVR (but "Custom Modes" still flashes on and off).

Last edited by jmonier; 19th August 2017 at 22:07.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 21:54   #44866  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The custom modes work well for me with Nvidia's current driver (385.28). madVR has to switch to it once using display modes, entered there as 2160p23, before it shows up but after that it is in Nvidia's control panel, albeit as a custom 24Hz mode.

No issues for me, the name of the custom mode is slightly odd but it all works as expected.
Are you using FSE ? Does the custom mode correctly applies when using fullscreen windowed ?
Old 19th August 2017, 22:14   #44867  |  Link
Prinz

madVR0921b.rar fixes my crash.

But the D11 FSE is only (8 bit) since 0.92.x .... with 0.91.11 it's (10 bit) in OSD
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 22:20   #44868  |  Link
jmonier

In testing a resolution on my secondary monitor, the secondary monitor becomes the main monitor and the original main monitor is disconnected (leaving me with one working monitor). I have to go back to "Screen Resolution" and extend the desktop to the other (disconnected) monitor to fix it.
Old 19th August 2017, 22:35   #44869  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
Are you using FSE ? Does the custom mode correctly applies when using fullscreen windowed ?
The custom mode correctly applies when using windowed, fullscreen windowed, or FSE. I didn't do anything in Nvidia's control panel, I do not check the box for the custom mode and just let madVR change to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz View Post
But the D11 FSE is only (8 bit) since 0.92.x .... with 0.91.11 it's (10 bit) in OSD
It is 10-bit for me if I set my display to 10 bit.

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th August 2017 at 22:38.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 22:41   #44870  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
The custom mode correctly applies when using windowed, fullscreen windowed, or FSE. I didn't do anything in Nvidia's control panel, I do not check the box for the custom mode and just let madVR change to it.

It is 10-bit for me if I set my display to 10 bit.
How can I set Nvidia control panel to output 10 bit?

I only have 8 bit there, using full range RGB. The LG 4K is a 10 bit native panel as far as I know.
Old 19th August 2017, 23:18   #44871  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
does madvr has to be completely closed for the "optimize" function? Cause when I tested it, it doesn't gave me good results at all, it was open in the taskbar
The optimize function should have shown you a message box with the text that you need to reboot, or disconnect the display, or press the "reset gpu" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
also it doesn't recognize my added refresh rate with cru 1.3. Only when I untick "show native res modes, only" it is showed.
Are you sure that those added refresh rates have exactly the same resolution as the native resolution? I highly doubt it. That would be a rather weird bug in madVR.

Quote:
The custom modes work well for me with Nvidia's current driver (385.28). madVR has to switch to it once using display modes, entered there as 2160p23, before it shows up but after that it is in Nvidia's control panel, albeit as a custom 24Hz mode.

No issues for me, the name of the custom mode is slightly odd but it all works as expected.
It's strange that Nvidia lists it as 24Hz!

Quote:
If I change the back porch at all, even with "test mode", this TV will turn off the input and not turn it on again until I unplug it and plug it back in.
That's sad to hear. Your TV seems to be very picky. What model is that? It should at least accept changes to the pixel clock, right? Does it dislike both horizontal and vertical back porch changes, or is just one of those problematic? What happens if you change front porch or sync width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
Nevermind, this must be a nvidia bug. Win 10 still lists both the modified 23Hz mode and the original 24Hz mode and both work fine.
So it's only fucked in the nvidia control panel.
Interesting! What happens if you also add an optimized 24Hz custom mode? Does the Nvidia control panel then show both 23Hz and 24Hz again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
It pretty much crashes every time when I move MPC-HC from my main monitor to my TV screen while a video is playing. It doesn't crash when pausing the video before dragging it over, so not really a big deal but it would still be nice if it could be fixed.

Crash report attached.
Unfortunately attachments to this forum take ages to get approved (if they get approved at all). Please upload the crash report somewhere else and link here. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
What it boils down to is that when FSE activates, it calls the custom mode. Then, while the file is playing, I am able to use that custom mode in non-fullscreen windowed or fullscreen windowed (if I disable FSE in the settings).
I am 100% sure that the mode summoned by FSE is the custom one (vastly improved frame drop frequency).

[...] if I changed the display using the nvidia control panel to that custom mode and launch a 23p file without triggering a display mode change, it is correctly using the new custom mode. Otherwise, switching to 23p either by using the standard windows display settings or using the madvr display mode switcher uses the standard 23p mode.

So my two posts aren't contradictory, but complementary : the first one gives an example of how I was able to trigger the custom mode using the FSE trick (without fiddling in the nvidia cpl), and the second one shows that I can directly summon the same custom mode through the nvidia cpl, but that the same custom mode won't be called by the windows display settings or madvr display mode switcher.
Ok, got it! Very weird, though. Did you try to reboot the OS? Doesn't help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz View Post
madVR0921b.rar fixes my crash.

Glad to hear the crash is fixed.

The 8bit problem was also reported by another user to me via email, but I can't seem to be able to reproduce it on my PC. Can you maybe try to find out if it's caused by any specific madVR settings? Or maybe it happens with some videos but not all or something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
In testing a resolution on my secondary monitor, the secondary monitor becomes the main monitor and the original main monitor is disconnected (leaving me with one working monitor). I have to go back to "Screen Resolution" and extend the desktop to the other (disconnected) monitor to fix it.
I suppose this happens after you pressed "reset gpu"? Or did it happen even without that? It's probably not something I can do anything about.

Quote:
You're lucky then. For most other nvidia users it seems that some refresh rates are rejected, while some may work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
How can I set Nvidia control panel to output 10 bit?

I only have 8 bit there, using full range RGB. The LG 4K is a 10 bit native panel as far as I know.
You need to activate D3D11 presentation in madVR, and in the display properties in madVR set your display to 10bit.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 23:29   #44872  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
You need to activate D3D11 presentation in madVR, and in the display properties in madVR set your display to 10bit.
Thanks madshi but won't that just be compressed then when the image is leaving the graphics card by the Nvidia setting of 8 bit? I thought it was necessary to set the output correctly as well.
Old 19th August 2017, 23:34   #44873  |  Link
huhn

there are limitations with HDMI.

for 60 hz RGB you have "only" 8 bit for example.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 23:34   #44874  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, got it! Very weird, though. Did you try to reboot the OS? Doesn't help?
I did reboot a few times inbetween tests, nothing changed. Given that Asmodian has it working using an Nvidia setup, it may be a problem on my end. I did tinker with CRU a few months back and may have screwed up something OS wise. A fresh Windows install wouldn't hurt I guess

Anyway, with all the improvements made to windowed mode (10bit support) and DXVA11, using a 32bit player and reclock is still a viable option if you tolerate the audio resampling until I get to format (it now handles those pesky 60fps HDR demo clips without a hitch).

Thanks for your help !

Edit : as a side note, after adding the 23p custom mode through madvr, the nvidia cpl lists the mode under the custom section under "3840*2160, progressive, 24hz", but the 23hz remains in the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" section under "4k x 2k, 3840*2160, 23hz" (24hz is gone from the dropbox).

Last edited by mitchmalibu; 19th August 2017 at 23:39.
Old 19th August 2017, 23:47   #44875  |  Link
dvd1

madshi

If I use Spline AR in image upscaling, in chromatic upscaling which filter i can use, for best video quality 576i 50 frs to 1080p 50 frs.
Can I use the latest version of madVR, even with my small graphics card?
thank you so much

Last edited by dvd1; 20th August 2017 at 01:36.
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 00:06   #44876  |  Link
FDisk80

DXVA11 mode crashes when switching from 60hz to fullscreen 24hz (in fullscreen windowed 10-bit mode). With MPC-BE x64.
If I switch to 24hz before going fullscreen it does not crash.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 00:45   #44877  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
I suppose this happens after you pressed "reset gpu"? Or did it happen even without that? It's probably not something I can do anything about.
It happens just when I hit "Test" even on a standard mode at the very beginning of the process. Nothing to do with "reset gpu".

I suppose that I can set up the custom resolutions while working with a single monitor and then go back to the dual monitor afterwards, but that seems unwieldy. I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve, though.
Old 20th August 2017, 01:09   #44878  |  Link
Prinz

Quote:
Glad to hear the crash is fixed.

The 8bit problem was also reported by another user to me via email, but I can't seem to be able to reproduce it on my PC. Can you maybe try to find out if it's caused by any specific madVR settings? Or maybe it happens with some videos but not all or something like that?
I tried a lot of files all are 8 bit now in FSE. Nothing changed in settings, I don't use the new custom resolutions (i have no need for them). Display is set to be 10bit in madvr. Switching back to 0.91.11 and everything is back to 10 bit.

It's again the secondary monitor set to: 1080p23, 1080p50, 1080p59 (removing the values doesn't help) via hdmi through AVR to TV with Nvidia 1060.
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 01:17   #44879  |  Link
vanschneidermann

Facing crashs with MPC-HC and MPC-BE.
Opening any mkv file, on the first display (120Hz BenQ) and then going to fullscreen (which automatically open the video on the second display (LG LED TV @ HDMI 60Hz) both MPCs crash.

I have to open any of the MPC,have to drag the file to the second display, then go to fullscreen, then drag the file to there. That way I dont face crash.

Sorry about my English :x

Using GTX 1070 (driver 382.53)
Windows 10 LTSB x64
Last versions of MPC-BR and MPC-HC
LAV Nightly
Last version madvr

Well, it looks like that D3D11, at Lav Video Decoder (Nightly) the culprit.

Is that hardware related, driver ?
What s the benefits of using D3D11 instead of copyback ?

Last edited by vanschneidermann; 20th August 2017 at 01:20. Reason: add info
vanschneidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 01:44   #44880  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Those of you who have crash problems with v0.92.1, can you please try this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR0921b.rar

Does this fix the issue for you?
Worked fine for a bit, but now says "madvrsettings32" corrupt and and error code 216 and madvr crash in an endless loop.

Went back to 0.92.1 and it's working ok again, minus the random crashes.

UPDATE: Deleted settings and uninstalled and installed 0.92.1 and then 0.92.1b and it seems ok. Don't know why it was crashing like that. Hope it doesn't pop up again.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 20th August 2017 at 01:47.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling