Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 1st February 2010, 00:27   #81  |  Link
sheck

Ron, download the file again and run it. I modified it a bit. Look at STD_log.txt, if it's different from what you posted before, then post it here, if it's same, just let me know.
sheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 01:47   #82  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck View Post
Ron, download the file again and run it. I modified it a bit. Look at STD_log.txt, if it's different from what you posted before, then post it here, if it's same, just let me know.
everything the same here.
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 10:33   #83  |  Link
ANGEL_SU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
everything the same here.
yes, i got the same output as you posted at #68, but previous version works!(just some non-ascii characters inside)
ANGEL_SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 01:44   #84  |  Link
Tommy B.
in love with x264

That's a real handy tool you got there. Thanks!

I found a bug though while messing around with it:
When trying to import several MKV-files with the same name, only the first file is being added while the following will not appear on the list.

Last edited by Tommy B.; 4th February 2010 at 02:03. Reason: typo
Tommy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 00:15   #85  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy B. View Post
That's a real handy tool you got there. Thanks!

I found a bug though while messing around with it:
When trying to import several MKV-files with the same name, only the first file is being added while the following will not appear on the list.
That's not a bug. Why would you have different files named the same ? Normally, if the files are different, they will be named differently. If the files are the same and are named the same, then adding one of them would be enough.
Old 8th February 2010, 01:00   #86  |  Link
Tommy B.
in love with x264

As long as the files are stored in the same folder, yes.

In my case, the files have different content while the name is the same for several files (fours seasons of Futurama). Each season has it's own folder where the episodes are stored as numbered files.

Maybe it would be better to at least check for the path+filename and then exclude the files or use crc-checking in case there are really two exactly the same files where extracting would be senseless.

On a second though: shouldn't it be the USER who decides whether file-extraction makes sense or not?
Old 8th February 2010, 23:56   #87  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
As long as the files are stored in the same folder, yes.

In my case, the files have different content while the name is the same for several files (fours seasons of Futurama). Each season has it's own folder where the episodes are stored as numbered files.

Maybe it would be better to at least check for the path+filename and then exclude the files or use crc-checking in case there are really two exactly the same files where extracting would be senseless.

On a second though: shouldn't it be the USER who decides whether file-extraction makes sense or not?
OK, I understand what you're saying, however, mkvcleaver allows you to extract to source folder as well as any one folder of your choice. What you're proposing would work if the extracted files were always output to the source folder, but if a user chooses a destination folder then we would have a lot of mess.

Well, what if you don't intend on choosing a destination folder and want everything output to the source folders ? Then how would mkvcleaver know what you're intending to do from the beginning ? And what, if you change your mind ? How will mkvcleaver know which files to remove from the list ? Ok, we can use crc to tell mkvcleaver which file is which regardless of the filename, right ? Wrong ! Imagine you have a collection of bluray movies, let's say 60 of them, each one is at least 20 gigs. Try running crc on those files, it will take minutes for each file then multiply that by 60. And that's just to add files to the list.

And we have your last suggestion; to allow users to decide what makes sense. How would that work ? What would users decide ? And what about the users who don't want to decide, they just want it to make sense automatically ?
Old 9th February 2010, 01:20   #88  |  Link
setarip_old

@Tommy B.

Hi!
Quote:
Each season has it's own folder where the episodes are stored as numbered files.
You should use a more standard naming convention for episodic TV discs:

"S1D1Ep1_4" means Season 1, Disc 1, Episodes 1-4

This way, every file has its own unique filename - and this neat little program (MKVCleaver) will work as effortlessly for you as it does for other users ...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 19:35   #89  |  Link
Tommy B.
in love with x264

@setarip_old
I organise the files with an external DB so I might even use names from random characters.

Quote:
What you're proposing would work if the extracted files were always output to the source folder, but if a user chooses a destination folder then we would have a lot of mess.
Why not auto-disable the function then? What about displaying a message next to the "extraction folder" selection which says something like "Option deactivated as you are about to do a huge mess"? You might implement a more advanced logic to prevent that.

At current state the tool implies that the user is doing something wrong, so he MUST be corrected. This is some sort of hardcoded intelligence, even if the user IS sure what he's doing. That's like having the auto-correction in Word forcing you to never write a word in big letters (even if you're sure you want it)!

Quote:
Try running crc on those files, it will take minutes for each file then multiply that by 60.
No need for that as you can check by path if the user is dropping duplicates or not. But being forced to do what a hardcoded "filechecking by name" thinks is right is quite a bad approach in my opinion.
Old 10th February 2010, 01:24   #90  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
@setarip_old
Why not auto-disable the function then? What about displaying a message next to the "extraction folder" selection which says something like "Option deactivated as you are about to do a huge mess"? You might implement a more advanced logic to prevent that.
So, say mkvcleaver disables the output folder, then you change your mind or, even worse, you accidentally added files with the same name, how can you re-enable that option ? And even if you can re-enable it, which files will need to be removed from the list ? In fact, we only identify files by their paths, so once you choose a destination folder then all files with the same names have to be removed from the list. Otherwise, how can mkvcleaver know which files you want to keep ? You would have to remove all duplicates manually. And what if you dragged and dropped folders with hundreds of files ? Or you can just restart mkvcleaver, but then you just spent 10 minutes dragging and dropping folders and files and now you have to start over. Not very user friendly.

Quote:
At current state the tool implies that the user is doing something wrong, so he MUST be corrected. This is some sort of hardcoded intelligence, even if the user IS sure what he's doing. That's like having the auto-correction in Word forcing you to never write a word in big letters (even if you're sure you want it)!
This was designed to prevent accidental addition of files with the same filenames. If you dragging and dropping folders and did not notice that there are duplicates in the list, that could waste time when extracting as the same file could be extracted many times.

Quote:
No need for that as you can check by path if the user is dropping duplicates or not. But being forced to do what a hardcoded "filechecking by name" thinks is right is quite a bad approach in my opinion.
IMHO, this option would be a bad idea as it can create more confusion than help. Also, having different files with the same names, no matter the reason, is a bad idea as well. A quick example would be, if your MFT ever becomes corrupt, I wouldn't want to be the guy recovering your files.

Last edited by sheck; 10th February 2010 at 01:26.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:43   #91  |  Link
sheck

Ron, download STD_test.exe again and put it somewhere. When you run it, choose where mkvtoolnix is located then any mkv file. If it works, you will get a message box with information for that mkv file. If it doesn't work, then you will get an empty message box. If you get nothing, then place the file somewhere else and try again.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:45   #92  |  Link
setarip_old

@Tommy B.
Quote:
I organise the files with an external DB so I might even use names from random characters.
Please explain further.

If you're using a pre-existing database such as IMDB, you would never have identical file names...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 04:52   #93  |  Link
sheck

v 0.4.1.1 Released

Changes:

* Some internal code changes (does not affect functionality)
* Logging is disabled in this release
* Mkvmerge output is forced to English
Old 18th February 2010, 04:53   #94  |  Link
sheck

v 0.4.1.1 64 bit Released

Get 64 bit version from the first post. Tested on XP Pro 64 bit.
Old 20th February 2010, 17:31   #95  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

bizarre that it still says for me mkvmerge is not sending info....any ideas?
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:18   #96  |  Link
sheck

Ron, look at post #91
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:07   #97  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

sorry....new saw that. will try when I get home from work
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:57   #98  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

well...tried it.

No matter where I place STD_test no box opens up at all...not even a blank one.

Hmmm.....
Old 24th February 2010, 06:42   #99  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
well...tried it.

No matter where I place STD_test no box opens up at all...not even a blank one.

Hmmm.....
Wow, that's something really messed up on your system... Do you have Norton anti-virus ? I've seen that thing do really weird things to a PC.

I'm gonna try one more thing, I'll post here when the file is ready to be downloaded.
Old 24th February 2010, 20:09   #100  |  Link
khagaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck View Post
This is because MKVcleaver uses IE COM object. There is always gonna be IE on any Windows OS, but Mozilla, Opera, etc. I'm not sure. Even though a lot of people use Mozilla, I would need more people to ask for this. I'm not gonna spend my time working on something when majority of people don't care about it. Using IE won't kill anybody...
Doesn't apply to Windows 7. IE can be uninstalled (really uninstalled, not just hidden like in XP or Vista). I for one have it uninstalled since I started using the beta and still have it uninstalled on the RTM verion and didn't miss it even once since.
khagaroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batch extract, extractor, matroska, mkv, mkv batch, mkv decoder, mkvextract