Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 7th June 2011, 14:00   #1  |  Link
ggtop

PGCEdit not starting anymore

Hi rolZ,

I had PGCEdit "installed" on my laptop. It worked fine until this morning...
I get this when I try to launch it:

PgcEdit version 9.3 (March 22, 2010)
Running as a wrapped script under FreeWrap v 6.42.4.
Installing the binaries v9.3 in "C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Software\PGCEdit\bin".
You need write permission on this folder and its parent to complete the install.
Also, be sure to close all instances of PgcEdit before launching a new version.
Binaries v9.3 copied successfully.
Current character encoding: cp1252
Console character encoding: cp850

Error sourcing /Tcl/work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: invalid command name "::msgbox::MsgBox"
() 1 %

Do you have an idea? Is there a cache I could try to clear or any kind of uninstalling?

I also tried disabling avg antivirus but to no avail.

ggtop

Edit: It's running again. I found a folder PGCEdit under "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\" containing PGCEdit.cfg. This file was broken obviously. I renamed the folder, started PGCEdit again and analyzed the newly created cfg with the old one. There were 2 additional brackets at EOF. I deleted them and all is fine ;-) It seems that the fact I had 2 instances running yesterday I closed at the same time caused this.

Last edited by ggtop; 7th June 2011 at 16:16. Reason: new info
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 08:53   #2  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the "new info". When I've read your original message, I was thinking "again, a damaged cfg file!". It's not the first time that problem happens, and I have never understood why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
It seems that the fact I had 2 instances running yesterday I closed at the same time caused this.
I will investigate that trail.

BTW, do you still have the bad cfg file? I am interested in analysing it.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 10:50   #3  |  Link
ggtop

I sent it to you via mail at your gmail account.

ggtop
Old 8th June 2011, 11:02   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks!
Old 11th June 2011, 11:05   #5  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I was thinking "again, a damaged cfg file!".
I can't agree. I always have more than 1 instance running and this is the very first time it happened in many years.

ggtop
Old 11th June 2011, 11:24   #6  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, but I have received several other complains about a similar problem, from other users. I have never understood why sometimes the config file gets damaged, as I have never been able to reproduce the bug. But thanks to your cfg file, I have modified PgcEdit, and now, when it encounters a problem when importing the congfig, it issues an error message, and continue. A part of the original configuration may be lost (reset to the default values), but at least, PgcEdit works. Of course, I'm not sure my fix will work in all cases, but it works with your damaged file. Thanks for having sent it.
Old 6th July 2011, 21:38   #7  |  Link
jackieninos

I have got the same problem, look at the screen:

http://s7.directupload.net/images/110706/f46b4c6v.jpg
jackieninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 21:49   #8  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the Doom9 forums.

Can you send me your PgcEdit.cfg file (if you have not deleted or edited it already)?
Old 20th May 2013, 18:18   #9  |  Link
aslaksen

Quote:
Can you send me your PgcEdit.cfg file (if you have not deleted or edited it already)?
I had the same problem today. Deleted the cfg file, and it started fine. I've attached a comparison of the old and the new.
Attached Images

aslaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 18:39   #10  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks. It's what I wanted to see. There is an additional ":main::search_mru {}}" bad line at the end of the file that causes probably the problem. It should not be there. I'll try to find the origin of that additional line. (The other differences are normal.)
Old 21st May 2013, 23:14   #11  |  Link
aslaksen

Quote:
Thanks. It's what I wanted to see. There is an additional ":main::search_mru {}}" bad line at the end of the file that causes probably the problem. It should not be there. I'll try to find the origin of that additional line. (The other differences are normal.)
Yes, I noticed that. The only clue I could give was that I was having some problems burning DVDs with CloneDVD. It turns out that my DVD drive is acting up, and that I just had to reduce the writing speed, but since it's a fairly new laptop, and I was trying something I had never done before with PGCEdit, I was worried that I was doing something wrong in PGCEdit that messed up my files, so I thought that maybe I should try to write from PGCEdit. So I installed ImgBurn, and tried to tell PGCEdit about it. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling ImgBurn, and playing around with that, and soon after I got the error.

Thanks for a fabulous program!
Old 21st May 2013, 23:36   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Under Windows 7 or 8, I have noticed that the config file can be messed up when doing exactly this:
The option to save the settings on exit must be turned on. Then, open two (or more) instances of PgcEdit. Right-click on the two superposed PgcEdit icons in the task bar, and select "Close all windows". Now, the two instances of PgcEdit are closed exactly at the same time, and they try to save the settings in the same file at the same time. Of course, only one instance should succeed, and it should lock the file when it writes it, so the other instance should not be able to open it, but it seems that that doesn't always happen like that. It seems that both files can have write access on the same file at the same time, in some rare cases, and of course, the file is usually completely messed up. However, I'm not sure the error you have reported is caused by that strange Windows bug (or "feature" ;-)
The error you got seems caused by a bug in my code, but I can't find it. Everything seems correct, but I have added a safeguard anyway. Not sure it will work, as that bug is almost impossible to reproduce.
Old 21st May 2013, 23:39   #13  |  Link
aslaksen

Quote:
Under Windows 7 or 8, I have noticed that the config file can be messed up when doing exactly this:
The option to save the settings on exit must be turned on. Then, open two (or more) instances of PgcEdit. Right-click on the two superposed PgcEdit icons in the task bar, and select "Close all windows". Now, the two instances of PgcEdit are closed exactly at the same time, and they try to save the settings in the same file at the same time. Of course, only one instance should succeed, and it should lock the file when it writes it, so the other instance should not be able to open it, but it seems that that doesn't always happen like that. It seems that both files can have write access on the same file at the same time, in some rare cases, and of course, the file is usually completely messed up. However, I'm not sure the error you have reported is caused by that strange Windows bug (or "feature" ;-)
The error you got seems caused by a bug in my code, but I can't find it. Everything seems correct, but I have added a safeguard anyway. Not sure it will work, as that bug is almost impossible to reproduce.
No, I am pretty sure I only had one instance open while playing with the settings. Will let you know if it happens again.
Old 22nd October 2014, 04:15   #14  |  Link
Quarkboy

Just popping in to say I had the same problem. I had 3 separate instances open and I shutdown windows so they were all terminated likely at almost identical times.

Deleting some random {}} at the end of the cfg file fixed it, thanks for the info above!

And thanks for the amazing software... By combining muxman's muxer and PGCEdit it's really possible to create any type of DVD you can imagine... same power as $1000 software, just takes a good working knowledge of the DVD specs.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 07:33   #15  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the information, and for your positive appreciation of PgcEdit.