Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 18th October 2015, 22:48   #23261  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
If the source is 1920x1080, then the SAR in the resize should be correct. I'll have to look and see when/how the --sar 4:3 gets inserted, it's been a while since I looked at that code.
If the source of 1920x1080 for DAR 16:9 is resized to 1440x1080 the --sar must be signalled as 4:3 in order to play it back correctly as 16:9. So it is correct to include --sar 4:3 in the commandline. It must not get overruled by --sar 1:1.

Last edited by Sharc; 18th October 2015 at 22:51.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 14:27   #23262  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
If the source of 1920x1080 for DAR 16:9 is resized to 1440x1080 the --sar must be signalled as 4:3 in order to play it back correctly as 16:9. So it is correct to include --sar 4:3 in the commandline. It must not get overruled by --sar 1:1.
You are exactly right. So, I guess I would have to assume the problem is in the playback unit.

I'll do a couple just to be sure.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th October 2015 at 14:29.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 19:12   #23263  |  Link
Starfiresg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
It must not get overruled by --sar 1:1.
I wasn't suggesting changing the --sar settings - I thought that maybe the already present sar=1:1 in the resize parameters was causing an issue. I just restarted the task with encoder output enabled (SHOW_ENCODER=1) and immediately noticed the sar is displayed as 1:1 in the output:

Code:
lavf [info]: 1920x1080p 1:1 @ 24/1 fps (cfr)
resize [info]: resizing to 1440x1080
x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX FMA3 AVX2 LZCNT BMI2
x264 [info]: profile High, level 4.0
The resulting output has a display ratio of 4:3 (verified with mediainfo).

When I changed the resize-filter to use a sar of 4:3 (--video-filter resize:width=1440,height=1080,sar=4:3,method=bilinear) the encoder would display a sar of 4:3:
Code:
x264 [info]: using SAR=4/3
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX FMA3 AVX2 LZCNT BMI2
The resulting output has a display ratio of 16:9 (verified with mediainfo) and looks correct.

After this i did something crazy and changed the --sar command-line to 20:2 just to see what happens:
Code:
x264 [info]: using SAR=4/3
Again the output has a display ratio of 16:9.

It seems as soon as the resize-filter contains an sar-argument the --sar command-line doesn't do anything?!

Note: I tested this on a short trailer-clip (02:28) from the same disc.

Last edited by Starfiresg1; 19th October 2015 at 19:16.
Starfiresg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 19:32   #23264  |  Link
Sharc

It seems to be the internal lavf frame server which overrules the command line --sar 4:3.
I am always using DGDecNV with 32bit x264 and never had a problem with 1440x1080 / 16:9 DAR.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 21:42   #23265  |  Link
eduardomurilo89

Menu encoding

Sorry to bother you guys, but I haven't found anything about the subject, so maybe you can help me. I want to know if there's a way to enable Menu encoding on BDRebuilder, I feel that I'm losing precious space with them not encoded. Thanks in advance!
eduardomurilo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 21:50   #23266  |  Link
jdobbs

@Starfiresg1

I'll do some testing and get to the bottom of it.
Old 19th October 2015, 22:36   #23267  |  Link
B737Driver

Sorry to rehash, but Sir jdobbs,
Do you know if there is a way in the FRIM modules to specify the graphics gpu to use for encoding? I know my Win10 system will support it, it just needs some nudging in what to use.

Still trying to get this thing to work in Win10 with Intel Quick Sync.

BTW, sorry you weren't able to get it running on your laptop; the quicksync is a significant capability

Thanks
B737Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 00:02   #23268  |  Link
jdobbs

If you set FRIM_SW_ENCODE=0 and FRIM_SW_DECODE=0 then BD-RB will use the default settings for FRIMEncode -- which is "Automatic". In that mode the quicksync drivers should recognized your processor and work accordingly. Outside of that, there's really not much I can contribute to the functioning. You might want to browse through the FRIMEncode thread and see if there is anything else.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th October 2015 at 00:05.
Old 21st October 2015, 18:41   #23269  |  Link
B737Driver

Solved my issue with FRIM, Windows 10, and Intel Quicksync.

After a lot of dorking around with FRIM on the command line, I learned this was not a quicksync issue as I would frequently get the error: “cannot get YUV420 frame from input avi-file …”, so iqs never had a chance to start. I finally figured out this is a CODEC issue. I use FFDSHOW and have it setup exactly as prescribed in the initial post for BDRB setup. One thing I added in the Video Decoder Configuration dialog box under Codecs was Raw video | All Supported. But this still didn’t work.

I then downloaded the latest version of x86 ffdshow I could find: v1.3.4533, 20140929. This compiled version of ffdshow adds another configuration box called VFW Configuration; the title on the dialog box once opened is “ffdshow video ENCODER configuration”. FRIMEncode WORKS AFTER SETTING “RAW VIDEO” in this box to “ALL SUPPORTED.”

I then initially had an issue frame serving with DirectShowSource (the encoding would stop and hang around 19% in), so I switched to FRIM serving and it works fine so far on 2 different movies. 2D BluRays recoded to 25 BDR using the High Quality setting averages 150 fps. Without FRIM and IQS I was getting around 16-18 fps.

Hope this helps someone else… worknstiff?? And why did the older ffdshow work fine in Win7x64 and not in Win10x64--I haven't a freakin' clue

BTW, thanks, jdobbs, for pointing me to the FRIM forum page—it gave me a lot of ideas for testing that finally led me to the solution.

[edit: for reference, my cpu is an i5-3570K that is almost 3 years old]

Last edited by B737Driver; 21st October 2015 at 18:51. Reason: add more info
Old 21st October 2015, 21:33   #23270  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by B737Driver View Post
I then downloaded the latest version of x86 ffdshow I could find: v1.3.4533, 20140929. This compiled version of ffdshow adds another configuration box called VFW Configuration; the title on the dialog box once opened is “ffdshow video ENCODER configuration”. FRIMEncode WORKS AFTER SETTING “RAW VIDEO” in this box to “ALL SUPPORTED.”
The recommended ffdshow, available on the first page with the other downloads, has this same VFW Configuration too.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 22:24   #23271  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by B737Driver View Post

After a lot of dorking around with FRIM on the command line, I learned this was not a quicksync issue as I would frequently get the error: “cannot get YUV420 frame from input avi-file …”, so iqs never had a chance to start. I finally figured out this is a CODEC issue. I use FFDSHOW and have it setup exactly as prescribed in the initial post for BDRB setup. One thing I added in the Video Decoder Configuration dialog box under Codecs was Raw video | All Supported. But this still didn’t work.

I then initially had an issue frame serving with DirectShowSource (the encoding would stop and hang around 19% in), so I switched to FRIM serving and it works fine so far on 2 different movies. 2D BluRays recoded to 25 BDR using the High Quality setting averages 150 fps. Without FRIM and IQS I was getting around 16-18 fps.

Hope this helps someone else… worknstiff?? And why did the older ffdshow work fine in Win7x64 and not in Win10x64--I haven't a freakin' clue

BTW, thanks, jdobbs, for pointing me to the FRIM forum page—it gave me a lot of ideas for testing that finally led me to the solution.

[edit: for reference, my cpu is an i5-3570K that is almost 3 years old]
Had you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FFDSHOW using the recommended version? I just wonder if it was the reinstall that did it rather than the new version.

By the way, when BD-RB runs FRIM it saves the existing RAWV setting, and then sets RAWV to ALL SUPPORTED before it executes the FRIM command line. It then resets it to its original values upon FRIM completion. So changing that setting in the FFDSHOW configuration really has no effect.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st October 2015 at 22:28.
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:21   #23272  |  Link
eduardomurilo89

Guys, anything on the menu encoding? Thanks in advance!
eduardomurilo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 04:30   #23273  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomurilo89 View Post
Guys, anything on the menu encoding? Thanks in advance!
The size of menus just isn't significant enough to bother -- and the likelihood of issues is greatly increased.
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:32   #23274  |  Link
B737Driver

Quote:
Had you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FFDSHOW using the recommended version? I just wonder if it was the reinstall that did it rather than the new version.

By the way, when BD-RB runs FRIM it saves the existing RAWV setting, and then sets RAWV to ALL SUPPORTED before it executes the FRIM command line. It then resets it to its original values upon FRIM completion. So changing that setting in the FFDSHOW configuration really has no effect.
In my testing to find the right settings for the Codec, I installed and uninstalled about 3 versions of ffdshow. Before I wrote my experience up to post here yesterday, I uninstalled the version I described as working and reinstalled the recommended one from here to test again. Capsbackup, I could not for the life of me find the same VFW dialog box.

I am just a modest user and don't, at all, presume to know a lot of how all this stuff works. What I do know is in the recommended version I could not find the Encoder settings and BDRB/FRIM no workie. Install this latest version of ffdshow and change the Encoder setting, BDRB/FRIM workie.

I don't care which version I use so long as I can get it to work. [edit: I'm all ears if someone can tell me how to find the VFW config routine in the recommended version; it does not come up in the start menus when I install it]

[edit2: Oh, and remember, I am now running Win10. I don't know what the OS has to do with it, but BDRB/FRIM worked fine in Win7 without finding this extra setting in ffdshow.]

Last edited by B737Driver; 22nd October 2015 at 13:39. Reason: add more info
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:22   #23275  |  Link
KeVe1983
Banned

Just a stupid question

Can i use Intel Quick Synch for encoding, if i use the internal gpu also as graphic output for my monitor?

I don't have a graphic card in my desktop pc, so i use the intel cpu internal HD4600 graphic for my monitor.

I copied the both lines FRIM_SW_DECODE=0 & FRIM_SW_ENCODE=0 into the .ini file and selected FRIm Source in BDRB Setup, but just get max 15FPS while encoding. Have an i5 4460

Edit: Also a little bug

I'm using BDRB for some years now and this "bug" present from the first time.
If you select german for the language and subtitles to keep in the setup it doesn't work
You have to edit the .ini file and add "deu" to the AUDIO_TO_KEEP and SUBS_TO_KEEP line.
Otherwise German is not selected if you load a Bluray and want the German language to be selected automatically

Last edited by KeVe1983; 22nd October 2015 at 15:29.
KeVe1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:23   #23276  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
[edit2: Oh, and remember, I am now running Win10. I don't know what the OS has to do with it, but BDRB/FRIM worked fine in Win7 without finding this extra setting in ffdshow.]
It's possible that Win10 increase security settings and the changes to the registry (done by BD-RB) is now being blocked somehow. I'll have to do some testing on my Win10 machine.
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:26   #23277  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVe1983 View Post
Just a stupid question

Can i use Intel Quick Synch for encoding, if i use the internal gpu also as graphic output for my monitor?

I don't have a graphic card in my desktop pc, so i use the intel cpu internal HD4600 graphic for my monitor.

I copied the both lines FRIM_SW_DECODE=0 & FRIM_SW_ENCODE=0 into the .ini file and selected FRIm Source in BDRB Setup, but just get max 15FPS while encoding. Have an i5 4460
That's similar to what I see on my Intel-video system. I can set those to 0, but the speed doesn't seem to increase at all. If I remember correctly, though, it would cause the encode to fail on my non-Intel machines.

Honestly, though, there are people a LOT more familiar with Quick-Sync than I am -- and they'd probably be more help to you.
Old 22nd October 2015, 17:55   #23278  |  Link
Starfiresg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVe1983 View Post
When I did testing with FRIM-Hardware-Encoding for MVC-encodes (quite a while back) at some point It would only use hardware encoding if I copied libmfxhw32.dll from the Intel Quicksync-Folder ("C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK") to the "Tools"-folder of BD-Rebuilder. This used to work previously - probably caused by either an update to FRIM or the Intel Driver. My guess is that older drivers added the Media SDK to the %PATH%-variable - so that the DLL could be used more easily - at present it's not in there and Frim probably doesn't find it.

Quote:
Edit: Also a little bug
I'm using BDRB for some years now and this "bug" present from the first time.
If you select german for the language and subtitles to keep in the setup it doesn't work
You have to edit the .ini file and add "deu" to the AUDIO_TO_KEEP and SUBS_TO_KEEP line.
Both "German" settings are already in there (deu and ger) - the list is sorted by the codes so they are a few entries apart.

Last edited by Starfiresg1; 22nd October 2015 at 18:07.
Starfiresg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 18:44   #23279  |  Link
jdobbs

That's weird. So you're saying "deu" and "ger" are already in the line -- but you have to add it to the end to get it to work? Can you post what your AUDIO_TO_KEEP line looks like?
Old 22nd October 2015, 19:26   #23280  |  Link
KeVe1983
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfiresg1 View Post
When I did testing with FRIM-Hardware-Encoding for MVC-encodes (quite a while back) at some point It would only use hardware encoding if I copied libmfxhw32.dll from the Intel Quicksync-Folder ("C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK") to the "Tools"-folder of BD-Rebuilder. This used to work previously - probably caused by either an update to FRIM or the Intel Driver. My guess is that older drivers added the Media SDK to the %PATH%-variable - so that the DLL could be used more easily - at present it's not in there and Frim probably doesn't find it.

Both "German" settings are already in there (deu and ger) - the list is sorted by the codes so they are a few entries apart.
Thanks for your help

Did not work for me.
Copied the file to the tools folder, but it seems BDRB did not encode with HW.
How can i check if HW is used for encoding?

Updated the Bios and did all settings in BIOS for using the iGPU
But it still seems that BDRB will not use the GPU

Quote:
That's weird. So you're saying "deu" and "ger" are already in the line -- but you have to add it to the end to get it to work? Can you post what your AUDIO_TO_KEEP line looks like?
My mistake, didn't notice the "deu" checkbox in language setup.
Selected it and now it's working

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd October 2015 at 22:23.
KeVe1983 is offline   Reply With Quote