Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Closed Thread

Old 7th November 2018, 11:41   #1  |  Link
HolyWu

VMAF - Video Multi-Method Assessment Fusion

https://github.com/HomeOfVapourSynth...ourSynth-VMAF/
Old 7th November 2018, 16:11   #2  |  Link
poisondeathray

Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 16:37   #3  |  Link
lansing

I'm confused, what is this filter supposed to do?
Old 7th November 2018, 16:52   #4  |  Link
ChaosKing

It calculates a score.... You have 2 clips, the score tells you by how much the the seconds clips differs from the first one. The VMAF algo tries take the human perception into account. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_...essment_Fusion
Old 7th November 2018, 20:07   #5  |  Link
Selur

Nice thanks!
Old 8th November 2018, 11:11   #6  |  Link
ChaosKing

Also available via vsrepo now
Old 9th November 2018, 02:56   #7  |  Link
ifb

Very timely for me. Thanks.

I've had mixed results getting yuv422p10le to work correctly with vmafossexec and/or ffmpeg builds with libvmaf. That's probably my fault for trying on Windows, but I was too lazy to try on a Linux VM at the time.
Old 13th November 2018, 18:23   #8  |  Link
poisondeathray

Request: is it possible to print out the aggregate psnr, ssim, ms_ssim scores ? (Currently it's only aggregate vmaf)
Old 14th November 2018, 12:21   #9  |  Link
HolyWu

Update r2.
  • Scale 10-bit pixel values to 8-bit range for correct score calculation.
  • Use stricter linear frame request since VMAF score will change if frame order is different.
  • Report aggregate PSNR, SSIM, and MS-SSIM scores in addition to VMAF score.
Old 1st March 2019, 05:51   #10  |  Link
Iron_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyWu View Post
Update r2.
  • Scale 10-bit pixel values to 8-bit range for correct score calculation.
  • Use stricter linear frame request since VMAF score will change if frame order is different.
  • Report aggregate PSNR, SSIM, and MS-SSIM scores in addition to VMAF score.
could you elaborate on the first two points of this update ?

does that mean we have to scale both inputs to 8bit before calculating VMAF, or does VMAF do it automatically ?

I'm comparing a 16bit exr sequence to itself (as control) and I get a 98.2 VMAF score... I know that the FAQ states that this is normal, just making sure I do this correctly... most of the examples here use 8bit source/ref footage...

When I compare a 12bit 444 (yuv444p12le) CRF 10 x265 encode to the 16 bit exr ref footage I get a 96.4 VMAF score... little bit low considering the tests that WorBry has done...

Also, how do I use a "stricter linear frame request" ?

Thanks.

Last edited by Iron_Mike; 1st March 2019 at 05:55.
Old 1st March 2019, 15:19   #11  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Mike View Post
could you elaborate on the first two points of this update ?

does that mean we have to scale both inputs to 8bit before calculating VMAF, or does VMAF do it automatically ?

.....Also, how do I use a "stricter linear frame request" ?
These are internal improvements that were made in update r2 - you don't need to do anything.

Quote:
When I compare a 12bit 444 (yuv444p12le) CRF 10 x265 encode to the 16 bit exr ref footage I get a 96.4 VMAF score... little bit low considering the tests that WorBry has done...
Bear in mind though that all of those tests were done on a single source. Could be any number of factors weighing in there. What scores to you get if you get if you test the ref and x265 clips against themselves ?

Last edited by WorBry; 1st March 2019 at 15:57.
Old 1st March 2019, 22:42   #12  |  Link
Iron_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
Bear in mind though that all of those tests were done on a single source. Could be any number of factors weighing in there. What scores to you get if you get if you test the ref and x265 clips against themselves ?
I ran all test w/ the ffmpeg libvmaf filter, but I assume since it uses the exact same VMAF models the result would be the same...

16bit EXR ref clip is 400 frames - control test to itself via 0.6.1 results in 98.2

x265 12bit 444 encode (from EXR), control tested to itself via 0.6.1 results in 98.08

x265 12bit 444 encode (from EXR) tested against it's source (16 bit EXR) via 0.6.1 results in 96.4

interesting that the clip you tested had 399 out of 400 frames a perfect 100 in the control test...
Old 1st March 2019, 23:09   #13  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
..interesting that the clip you tested had 399 out of 400 frames a perfect 100 in the control test...
For that particular source, yes...actually it was 499 out of 500 frames that scored 100 - it was just that first frame with the motion2 score of 0 that skewed the aggregate score. But I've yet to test other sources.

Go through the list of per-frame VMAF scores from your 'self' tests and you'll be able to identify which frames are skewing the aggregate score.
Old 1st March 2019, 16:43   #14  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:

I'm not sure how valid that test would be. EXR is usually sRGB linear , and 16bit half float .

For any metric you usually need a common ground to compare. This means same pixel format (same colorspace, same bit depth, same chroma subsampling) . Otherwise you introduce other variables that are not controlled for. e.g. if one run uses one algorithm to scale (e.g. bicubic vs. bilinear, vs...) , or another dithers down using one algorithm, but another does not... or if you convert to RGB using different matrix, etc... there are many factors that invalidate your testing
Old 1st March 2019, 22:12   #15  |  Link
WorBry

Not to mention the potential for frame shifts/misalignment when using different decoders for the reference and test clips, although the filter will report an error if the number of frames is different.

Also needs to be appreciated that the VMAF models are 'trained' for predicting perceptual quality at streaming bitrates primarily. Came across this quote from Netflix:

Quote:
"VMAF has been trained using encodes spanning from CRF 22 @ 1080 (highest quality) to CRF 28 @ 240 (lowest quality). The former is mapped to score 100 and the latter is mapped to score 20. Anything in between is mapped in the middle (for example, SD encode at 480 is typically mapped to 40 ~ 70)."
https://streaminglearningcenter.com/...flix-vmaf.html

I would assume a similar focus was applied in training the 4K model.

So at CRF 10 you are well into uncharted territory.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to look at other metrics available for VapourSynth that are (maybe) better attuned for VQA in the visually lossless domain - GMSD, MDSI and yes, SSIM....Butteraugli, possibly. My own journey of discovery in that vein continues:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176101

Last edited by WorBry; 1st March 2019 at 22:19.
Old 1st March 2019, 22:59   #16  |  Link
Iron_Mike

Quote:
Not to mention the potential for frame shifts/misalignment when using different decoders for the reference and test clips, although the filter will report an error if the number of frames is different.
not sure what "different encoders" here relates to ?

ffmpeg reads an EXR frame and then reads a frame from the mp4 encode (that was done from the EXR via ffmpeg) and then passes the decoded frames to VMAF for comparison...

is there a setting to avoid frame shifts/misalignment ?

Quote:
So at CRF 10 you are well into uncharted territory.
you yourself validated the test clip up to CRF 0 and results on the charts make sense... your encodes went up to VMAF 100... not sure I understand your concern for CRF 10 ?

Thanks

Last edited by Iron_Mike; 1st March 2019 at 23:07.
Old 1st March 2019, 22:51   #17  |  Link
Iron_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
I'm not sure how valid that test would be. EXR is usually sRGB linear , and 16bit half float .

For any metric you usually need a common ground to compare. This means same pixel format (same colorspace, same bit depth, same chroma subsampling) . Otherwise you introduce other variables that are not controlled for. e.g. if one run uses one algorithm to scale (e.g. bicubic vs. bilinear, vs...) , or another dithers down using one algorithm, but another does not... or if you convert to RGB using different matrix, etc... there are many factors that invalidate your testing
EXR contains whatever you put into it (has nothing to do with sRGB) - there are no assumptions here: this is the master of the movie in HD in lossless 16 bit EXR, I took 400 frames as a test sequence

for streaming the movie was encoded via ffmpeg and x265 from EXR (rgb48le) to x265 12bit 444 (yuv444p12le) - final result looks very good, we're using VMAF to compare various encodes (presets/CRF/etc) against each other... exact same as NF does it w/ VMAF... the master one delivers to NF is obviosly also not 8bit 420, they encode from that (high quality) master for NF streaming...

so the "common ground" you state is the same movie in the same resolution, which is the only thing that NF states in their VMAF instructions...

the whole reason for comparison is different output bit depth w/ different output chroma subsampling, on top of different encoding settings, so I do not understand your point...

Last edited by Iron_Mike; 1st March 2019 at 22:53.
Old 14th November 2018, 15:09   #18  |  Link
edcrfv94

Is it possible to registered to frame props like mvsfunc PlaneStatistics?
Old 14th November 2018, 15:51   #19  |  Link
ChaosKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcrfv94 View Post
This would be awesome.
Old 15th November 2018, 03:43   #20  |  Link
HolyWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcrfv94 View Post
Not possible with the exposed API of libvmaf. Only when all frames are deliverd and processed does the library print the aggregate scores and optionally write the log file. There is no way to access the library's internal data to get the per-frame score and add that to the frame property.

Last edited by HolyWu; 15th November 2018 at 03:57.
Closed Thread