Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2018, 22:41   #48421  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCi5R View Post
Hi there,

I was reading some of your posts and I was wondering if you could help. I've come across posts & people who had difficulty playing back 2160p media using MadVR/MPC-BE combo with a GT 1030 GPU, and then I've come across others who are able to achieve flawless playback using the same.

I don't believe GT 1030 is "incapable" of UHD HDR (2160p) playback using MadVR/MPC-BE otherwise no one would be able to; but there is some golden settings that achieve this.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing terrible lag/frame rate issue where media is practically unplayable/unwatchable.

I'm not doing any upscaling / downscaling, but simple 1:1 2160p playback of UHD HDR media on a 4K HDR display.

The HTPC has an i5-2600K CPU OC'd to 4Ghz, 8GB DDR4 RAM, and GT 1030 GPU.

Is it possible for you to share your MadVR settings or any advice you can offer?

Thanks!
I just installed the GT 1030 into my old Athlon X4 rig, and am able to smoothly play UHD HDR titles as a conversion to SDR, but only with "preserve hue in..." set to "low quality" but I understand you probably have HDR set to passthrough because you are playing to an HDR TV...there is some general opinion that 2GB VRAM might not be enough for 4K output so that may be the reason...unfortunately, I cannot check this for you since I don't have a 4K display near this particular rig, my output is up to 1080p only...

Speaking of that, does anyone know how to get 8K VP9 60 fps play smooth with MadVR, which setting to change, I have tried everything...please note that it plays smooth in EVR, just would like to avoid switching between MadVR and EVR...

Last edited by mytbyte; 17th January 2018 at 22:46.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 22:59   #48422  |  Link
brazen1

Did you select VP9 in LAV video filter?
Side note: DID YOU GUYS SEE THE NYSE TODAY!
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 23:04   #48423  |  Link
Sideeffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
Does Madvr have Performance Impact after Meltdown, Spectre bug patch ?
Nvidia cards are susceptible to only Spectre which was patched in GeForce 390.65 and so far gaming performance hasn't changed notably I would expect MadVR performance to also remain unchanged.

GeForce 390.65
"Fixed CVE-2017-5753
Computer systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and branch prediction may allow unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access via a side-channel analysis."

The driver is good because it supports Nvidia HDR API again and also it no longer names receivers with a dynamic number or letter after them so speaker settings are no longer lost. This is the best Nvidia driver for HTPC for a long time so I would recommend updating to it.

Edit - If your on AMD Vega it is not susceptible to either Meltdown or Spectre because it doesn't perform speculative execution.

Last edited by Sideeffect; 17th January 2018 at 23:08.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 23:16   #48424  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideeffect View Post
Nvidia cards are susceptible to only Spectre which was patched in GeForce 390.65 and so far gaming performance hasn't changed notably I would expect MadVR performance to also remain unchanged.
This isn't true. GPUs are not susceptible.

However, any driver is, since driver code runs on the CPU and has kernel acccess. So any critical driver should be hardened against Spectre attacks with code changes and compiler improvements. This is exactly what NVIDIA did, they protected their driver from being used as a platform to perform a Spectre attack. The graphics hardware itself is unaffected.
Old 17th January 2018, 23:21   #48425  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Did you select VP9 in LAV video filter?
Side note: DID YOU GUYS SEE THE NYSE TODAY!
Thanks but it's checked, I guess it wouldn't play it with EVR either if I weren't checked...wander if there is somethihg I could do with the filter graph

P.S. the GPU video decoder and 3D graphs in windows task manager are almost at full swing, as well as VRAM but there is maybe 1 fps/minute...render queue is empty

Last edited by mytbyte; 17th January 2018 at 23:56.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 23:41   #48426  |  Link
Sideeffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
This isn't true. GPUs are not susceptible.

However, any driver is, since driver code runs on the CPU and has kernel acccess. So any critical driver should be hardened against Spectre attacks with code changes and compiler improvements. This is exactly what NVIDIA did, they protected their driver from being used as a platform to perform a Spectre attack. The graphics hardware itself is unaffected.
Yes true technically GPU's are not susceptible but the Nvidia driver code could leave CPU's susceptible which is what Nvidia have patched and the performance impact of the Nvidia change and future upcoming changes to combat Spectre variants is still unknown but at least in the first change performance seems unaffected.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 00:02   #48427  |  Link
ryrynz

Really not the thing to be asking here.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 00:15   #48428  |  Link
VBB

I haven't updated to the 390.65 driver yet, because I wasn't sure if they had fixed the bug with custom resolutions not being able to select 12-bit. The last driver not broken in this regard was 385.28. Is this fixed now?
Old 18th January 2018, 01:00   #48429  |  Link
tyrindor

I don't understand how to get HDR to work. I have an LG OLED and the latest W10 update, fully supporting HDR10. Exclusive fullscreen is checked, and HDR passthrough is enabled.

When I launch a 4K HDR rip, there's no HDR and it looks washed out. If I enable HDR in windows, everything looks terrible, and the movie still doesn't look right.

What am I missing?

Last edited by tyrindor; 18th January 2018 at 01:12.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 01:01   #48430  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
I haven't updated to the 390.65 driver yet, because I wasn't sure if they had fixed the bug with custom resolutions not being able to select 12-bit. The last driver not broken in this regard was 385.28. Is this fixed now?
It's the same for all drivers post 385.28: you have to select 12bits in a standard res before switching to a custom res. Make sure you're in 23p-30p or you can't select 12bits in 4:4:4 anyway.

Once you've selected 12bits in another mode, 12bits is working in custom res (at least here in 4K23p 12bits 4:4:4) even if you can't select it (greyed out) in the custom res.

Once selected, the custom res will switch automatically between RGB 8bits at 60p and RGB 12bits below 50p, even if the selection for bit depth is greyed out.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 02:45   #48431  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
What am I missing?
AMD or Nvidia? If Nvidia don't use exclusive fullscreen. Do not enable Windows' HDR mode. Make sure you are using driver 390.65. Set madVR to passthrough HDR.

Some rips seem to be made incorrectly so LAV does not pass HDR data to madVR (this reminds me, make sure you are actually decoding with a new LAV).
Old 18th January 2018, 02:54   #48432  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
AMD or Nvidia? If Nvidia don't use exclusive fullscreen. Do not enable Windows' HDR mode. Make sure you are using driver 390.65. Set madVR to passthrough HDR.

Some rips seem to be made incorrectly so LAV does not pass HDR data to madVR (this reminds me, make sure you are actually decoding with a new LAV).
NVIDIA, everything is up to date. Must be the rips... EDIT: It's working now, it was the rips. Now how does one have MadVR automatically switch to 12bit for UHD HDR? FS exlusive mode also seems to work fine for me, is there a reason to disable?

Also 3D doesn't work for me either, i've had it working in the past. I have LAV 3d drivers installed and 3d enabled but when i go into fullscreen mode with 3d enabled then MPC-BE crashes.

Last edited by tyrindor; 18th January 2018 at 03:56.
Old 18th January 2018, 03:32   #48433  |  Link
austinminton

Few tips for 3D to work on nvidia, if this doesnt work we will go deeper into the issue.

Do these only before playing a 3D file.
- Enable stereoscopic 3D in nvidia control panel (run wizard if its the first time).
- Enable fullscreen exculsive in madvr
- Enable 3D in madvr

This should get 3D working on your setup. If it works we can set everything up to do the above automatically using profiles.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 03:59   #48434  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Few tips for 3D to work on nvidia, if this doesnt work we will go deeper into the issue.

Do these only before playing a 3D file.
- Enable stereoscopic 3D in nvidia control panel (run wizard if its the first time).
- Enable fullscreen exculsive in madvr
- Enable 3D in madvr

This should get 3D working on your setup. If it works we can set everything up to do the above automatically using profiles.
Sadly it does not, "3D enabled" then "3D signal loss", then I full screen the window and MPC-BE crashes. I tried MPC-BE and MPC-HC. I also noticed if I have 3D enabled in NVIDIA Control Panel, it breaks fullscreen for UHD HDR too (despite 3D not actually being enabled because I am at 4K).

I think Win10 Fall update might have broken it completely. Before I had to disable DX11 fullscreen or I'd crash, but now if I disable that exclusive fullscreen doesn't work at all (even for 2D content). I searched around and other people had this same problem with the fall update.

Last edited by tyrindor; 18th January 2018 at 04:29.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:17   #48435  |  Link
Manni

JVC Control from MadVR

For those who might be interested, I've put together a quick How To guide to control the JVC from MadVR in order to select a specific calibration using the now fixed external command line with custom profiles. It's a pack with six python files, six batch files and a short PDF.

It works fine, except when coming back, my "after" calibration doesn't seem to work but I don't have the time to debug right now.

Here you go: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55519234

Happy to report that I can now launch the nVidia 3D batch files to enable/disable 3D using the same external commands, and it works great.

Thanks Madshi for fixing this, it's super useful.

Now if only we could find a way to fix the frame drops in 3D for nVidia users, it would be great. I couldn't get anywhere with CRU in 1080p23FP I'm afraid.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:24   #48436  |  Link
SamuriHL

Madshi, wanted to let you know I'm a very happy person right now. I've got everything dialed in at full->full->full 12 bit now including 3D. I'm also able to downscale 4K HDR->1080p SDR which looks fantastic. And I'm able to upscale DVD's to 1080p which also looks fantastic. All on my 1060 with the 390 driver and 0.9.11. I should probably leave well enough alone until I get a 4K OLED. LOL
Old 18th January 2018, 04:28   #48437  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Madshi, wanted to let you know I'm a very happy person right now. I've got everything dialed in at full->full->full 12 bit now including 3D. I'm also able to downscale 4K HDR->1080p SDR which looks fantastic. And I'm able to upscale DVD's to 1080p which also looks fantastic. All on my 1060 with the 390 driver and 0.9.11. I should probably leave well enough alone until I get a 4K OLED. LOL
As you have an nVidia GPU, have you found a way to get better 3D than one frame drop every 3-5 minutes or are you just happy with that?

Last edited by Manni; 18th January 2018 at 04:34.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:30   #48438  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
How'd you get exclusive mode fullscreen working for 3D with the fall W10 update? I've been trying to fix it for months. I start playing a 3d movie and 3d enables, but as soon as I fullscreen it crashes immediately ever since the fall update.

Last edited by tyrindor; 18th January 2018 at 04:34.
Old 18th January 2018, 04:35   #48439  |  Link
ryrynz

Samurai make sure you give HDR the full quality SDR treatment by selecting convert to HDR to SDR with pixel shader math and selecting preserve hue in high quality. 1060 could handle that.
Can anyone comment on whether let madVR decide actually does this automatically if there's enough headroom?

Last edited by ryrynz; 18th January 2018 at 04:46.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 05:03   #48440  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
I think Win10 Fall update might have broken it completely.
So I have both HDR and 3D working perfectly on fall update with the latest madvr and nvidia 390.65. Those steps I mentioned are only for 3D. Other files will probably crash with stereoscopic enabled in nvidia cp. As I said, all this can be automated once we have your 3D working.

Does your nvidia correctly go into 3D resolution when stereoscopic is enabled and you select a 3D resolution in nvidia cp for your desktop?
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling