Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th September 2019, 19:09   #57401  |  Link
seiyafan

I lowered the queues back to 12/8/8, for rendering if I use anything lower than 12 there is no presentation glitch but present time would increase from 0.7 ms to 18 ms, after a while the present queue cannot fill up in time and would cause frame drop.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 01:29   #57402  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yea, and we don't even KNOW for sure that the tensor core algorithms will make it down to madvr. And even if they do, is it going to be "soon"? Possibly not. I think you could potentially get a year or two before it's even relevant. Unless madshi surprises us.

If you buy the Horse before the cart, By the time the Cart becomes available, The Horse is past its prime, has a limp, and is about to die.

WAIT for the cart, THEN buy the Horse, idealy On -Black Friday-

I learned this after getting pulled into the whole DX11 ready GPU debacle.
Old 18th September 2019, 02:21   #57403  |  Link
SamuriHL

I didn't buy any horse before the cart. I had a 1060 when I upgraded my machine and it wasn't powerful enough for my use case. I upgraded to the 2070 and absolutely love the card. (I do game occasionally when time permits, as well). And now I can crank the options I want to crank to get the picture quality I'm looking for. If tensor core support comes to madvr while I own this card, that's a bonus. If it doesn't, I have the raw power I need for the quality I'm looking for.
Old 18th September 2019, 02:38   #57404  |  Link
ryrynz

You NEED the horse before the cart when it comes to any hardware implementation through software, that's how the process works and how it needs to work.
It's a lot easier to work with hardware that actually exists.

Funny how when RTX came out people many were mocking the ray tracing and now after a few good implementations of the it and some incredible examples on youtube it's now obviously "the future"
Some people just have zero foresight and no belief in the possibility of anything not only shown the benefits of but described in detail by professionals and it's astounding to me.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 03:16   #57405  |  Link
SamuriHL

I agree to a point. But nVidia didn't launch it in the best possible light, either. Hardware wise it's fantastic if not a tad pricey. What they needed _AT LAUNCH_ was a killer demo of the tech and they didn't really deliver that aspect. I get it, hardware needs to come first, but, they had the hardware in house. They could have done what console mfg's do and partner with someone, anyone, to have a launch day killer demo. Anyway, we're long past that point, the hardware is solid, we're starting to see what the thing can really do, and I'm absolutely on edge waiting to see what this tech is going to deliver in madshi's capable hands. Tensor core AI algorithms should be pretty fun. BUT, that's making an assumption that isn't a guarantee at all....that we get them in either the free madvr or the pro madvr. So far, that's unknown. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with my RTX card....even as it stands today.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:25   #57406  |  Link
fourbigkids

Blank screen during video playback

Hi all.

I am running MPC-BE v.1.5.3 with madvr 127.0.0.1 on a Windows 10 HTPC with an Nvidia RTX 2060. The video is fed via HDMI to a pre-pro and then to a Sony TV XBR85X850F. It is also fed via a DsplayPort - HDMI adapter straight to the Display. I have madvr setup to open full screen and to change the refresh rate of the TV to match the video file.

All is working as expected on the HDMI - Pre-pro - display leg. However, with the adapter - display leg, while the desktop of my HTPC is visible, when I play a video file (irrespective of the file type) with MPC-BE, I get audio but no video on the display. Just a blank screen. The DisplayPort-HDMI adapter doesn't seem to be the problem as the same video plays and is visible using PowerDVD and MS Media Player on the adapter-display leg, just not MPC-BE and MadVR.

I have reinstalled both MPC-BE and Madvr and imported the last previously known working settings, but no luck.

Appreciate any pointers.

********* edit: madvr v0.92.17 :-)

***Issue resolved with another active 4K DisplayPort - HDMI adapter. I tried 4 and two worked. Oddly, vlc worked with all 4 adapters.

Cheers,

Allan

Last edited by fourbigkids; 29th September 2019 at 05:49.
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 04:37   #57407  |  Link
elraffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbigkids View Post
Hi all.

I am running MPC-BE v.1.5.3 with madvr 127.0.0.1 on a Windows 10 HTPC with an Nvidia RTX 2060. The video is fed via HDMI to a pre-pro and then to a Sony TV XBR85X850F. It is also fed via a DsplayPort - HDMI adapter straight to the Display. I have madvr setup to open full screen and to change the refresh rate of the TV to match the video file.

All is working as expected on the HDMI - Pre-pro - display leg. However, with the adapter - display leg, while the desktop of my HTPC is visible, when I play a video file (irrespective of the file type) with MPC-BE, I get audio but no video on the display. Just a blank screen. The DisplayPort-HDMI adapter doesn't seem to be the problem as the same video plays and is visible using PowerDVD and MS Media Player on the adapter-display leg, just not MPC-BE and MadVR.

I have reinstalled both MPC-BE and Madvr and imported the last previously known working settings, but no luck.

Appreciate any pointers.

Cheers,

Allan
where can I download madvr version 127.0.0.1?

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk
elraffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 05:37   #57408  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You NEED the horse before the cart when it comes to any hardware implementation through software, that's how the process works and how it needs to work.
It's a lot easier to work with hardware that actually exists.

Funny how when RTX came out people many were mocking the ray tracing and now after a few good implementations of the it and some incredible examples on youtube it's now obviously "the future"
Some people just have zero foresight and no belief in the possibility of anything not only shown the benefits of but described in detail by professionals and it's astounding to me.
even now ray tracing is a joke. except a wonder in optimisation is happening it will stay a joke on all cards that are not 2080 ti or new releases. will it be a default feature sometime in the feature yes there is a high chance for that.
but if you want to use ray tracing on a 2060 get used to 1080p. they charge a huge premium for a feature that is barely used and useless in the near future and AMD just joined the price wagon.

ray tracing cores are not tensor cores just to make that clear.
@elraffa
127.0.01 doesn't exist. it's the ip address that is used to connect to your own PC.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 05:40   #57409  |  Link
fourbigkids

Whoops! That would be madvr v0.92.17. Not whatever the number in the title bar might be. Thanks for picking that up elraffa. :-)
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 05:45   #57410  |  Link
elraffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbigkids View Post
Whoops! That would be madvr v0.92.17. Not whatever the number in the title bar might be. Thanks for picking that up elraffa. :-)
your welcome :-)

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk
elraffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 12:00   #57411  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
but if you want to use ray tracing on a 2060 get used to 1080p.
If you want to game on a higher resolution then 1080p and value quality and performance, then you bought the wrong card in a 2060 anyway, and thats just a fact. Thats litereally the mainstream 1080p gaming GPU (and 1080p is also the mainstream resolution, all higher gaming resolutions are a single digit percentage combined on eg. Steam surveys, which for gaming is quite relevant), it'll not run maximum quality at decent framerates on higher resolutions, so bringing Ray Tracing into the mix is just intentional drama (ie. trolling).

On that note, you should checkout the improvements to DLSS they've done for "Control", the quality has drastically increased and is practically a net positive in quality from the additional graphic effects you can turn on if you're otherwise performance limited.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 18th September 2019 at 12:10.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 14:03   #57412  |  Link
huhn

but nvidia sells it as an ray tracing card and this card can easily do high settings at 1440p but ray tracing will half the frame rate. so the question is i'm the troll here or nvidia. there are no easy to render ray tracing games and that's not the point you will even get into FPS problem on quake ray tracing it's simply to expensive for this card it can't even do 1080p60 not even a 2080 ti can do 60 HZ at 1440p.

saying a 2060 is a 1080p card is like saying a 1080 is a 1080p card and the next problem with 1080p is not about 60 hz anymore 144 hz is really cheap these days.
15% of all cards on steam are 1050 and and ~15% are 1060 but the 2060 is the main stream these days?
the 2070 sells better then the 2060.
the number of "new" 1080 and 1070 cards is as high or higher then new RTX cards.

the problem with DLSS it doesn't give that much performance and bilinear/GPU scaling plus nvidia sharpening is considered to be "better" just to be clear i'm not on that boat but it is an alternative and every card can do that with every game no special training required. the number of games where it is clearly better is just to low the card is nearly a year old and this marketing feature has little support.
Old 18th September 2019, 14:31   #57413  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
you will even get into FPS problem on quake ray tracing it's simply to expensive for this card it can't even do 1080p60 not even a 2080 ti can do 60 HZ at 1440p.
Quake RT is not really an actual relevant case, and the age has nothing to do with it. Its the only game thats 100% ray traced, which is obviously going to be far more expensive then only using it for effects that get the biggest benefit from it right now.

Modern Ray Tracing games like Control or Metro: Exodus can achieve 60 fps on 1440p on a 2080 Ti, and as developers learn to use these effects properly and effectively, the performance cost will only reduce.

PS:
You obviously didnt look into the improved DLSS as I suggested, since it did make huge strides beyond the initial version seen months/a year ago.
Old 18th September 2019, 14:40   #57414  |  Link
MS-DOS

Ray tracing has nothing to do with MadVR. Create a separate thread and discuss it there.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 14:58   #57415  |  Link
huhn

isn't the point of ray tracing to use 100 % of it for easy implementation. the point of quake here is that quake it self doesn't take any GPU load making it a full ray tracing benchmark and it is very impressive in this game too. while with other games you have to look out to find it and normal lighting in games still looks very good same with minecraft.
of they will have to dial down ray tracing for now because the current cards can do it fast enough.
if it stays hard extra work for game developer it will not get huge a lot of games in the near future.
if you need the most expensive GPU to get 60 HZ 1440p you name the issue here. there is no place for the others cards in ray tracing race.
Quote:
PS:
You obviously didnt look into the improved DLSS as I suggested, since it did make huge strides beyond the initial version seen months/a year ago.
can't be months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADD1I1ihSQ
but i'm not on board of the anti DLSS hype train anyway and i disagree that it is even close to dead.
on metro it was disaster at release they fixed that a long long time ago. still the "mass" doesn't seem to like it. nvidia has to make sure it works on release date.
Old 18th September 2019, 19:30   #57416  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I was just complaining how bad DLSS in Control looked. Better than Metro Exodus, but still not worth using.

I really do not like it, at least on my 55" OLED that I sit pretty close to. Much better to turn off most ray tracing effects and run 4K almost 60.

As always, for "future proof" madVR get the best card you can afford. Since Tensor cores come with them by default once you get to a high enough price point I just think of them as a bonus. Buying any computer hardware with only the future in mind is always a bad idea, buy what you need now or wait until you know what you will really need.

Last edited by Asmodian; 18th September 2019 at 19:33.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 22:51   #57417  |  Link
KoKlusz

Quote:
On that note, you should checkout the improvements to DLSS they've done for "Control", the quality has drastically increased and is practically a net positive in quality from the additional graphic effects you can turn on if you're otherwise performance limited.
Weird thing about DLSS in Control is that Nvidia ditched tensor cores in favor of more traditional temporal accumulation, which at one hand improved quality and performance, but on the other reconstruction falls apart as soon as you start moving (it's especially noticeable if you disable motion blur). For me, the most appealing thing about DLSS was the fact it completely eliminated temporal artifact's, but seeing that NV seemed to give up on using neural network for reconstruction already, makes me wonder if those tensor cores are even worth anything.
Quote:
If you want to game on a higher resolution then 1080p and value quality and performance, then you bought the wrong card in a 2060 anyway, and thats just a fact.
I would argue that 2060 is fine for non-RTX rendering for 1440p or even higher with right compromises. The problem is it's now has a really bad value. I used to argue that it was pretty good card for it's price, but right now that completely changed after RX 5700 and 2060 Super released.
KoKlusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 04:20   #57418  |  Link
tp4tissue

Hi guys , which C++ runtime does madvr require. I'm getting a new error i've never seen before.

https://imgur.com/kOHyORS

New laptop, I opened a movie, and it played for a little bit, but then I closed the movie. And when I tried watching it again, this happened.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th September 2019 at 04:22.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 04:37   #57419  |  Link
huhn

just install them all.

BTW. as far as i know madVR doesn't use Cpp but what was it delphi?
Old 19th September 2019, 04:50   #57420  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
just install them all.

BTW. as far as i know madVR doesn't use Cpp but what was it delphi?
I have no idea... New laptop comes with preinstalled stuff. IDK.

If I click ignore twice at that menu, the playback will start.. LOL.

But what's it saying is the issue ? I know it's madvr related, because if I switch to EVR no errors.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling