Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th October 2020, 03:49   #60421  |  Link
Asmodian

92.17 is what I am using. There are beta builds for better HDR to SDR but it takes a lot of GPU power at the better settings. Up to you if you want to mess with it, I use passthrough for HDR so the changes are not relevant for me.
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip
Old 25th October 2020, 03:51   #60422  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
92.17 is what I am using. There are beta builds for better HDR to SDR but it takes a lot of GPU power at the better settings. Up to you if you want to mess with it, I use passthrough for HDR so the changes are not relevant for me.
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip
Didn't think about doing this - I have HDR available on the projector - is it optimal to pass it through?

Does this reduce a lot of rendering GPU draw? e.g. would I be able to have higher settings with the same hardware if I passthrough HDR?
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 04:33   #60423  |  Link
LordX2

Just tried lowering the target NITS and output to HDR - STILL looks dim on my projector. Colors look so much better with NITS at 135 and output at SDR.

I am sure the beta builds may offer additional quality and tweaks, I just don't know if I can start all over and go down the rabbit hole again. hahah

Also, Back to the Future III looks way better than the first Harry Potter movie, and it's 10 years older. Probably just a shitty transfer for HP1 I guess.

MadVR seems to show the NITS that the movie was imaged with - for back to the future, it shows 1000 nits, for HP1 it was 500 something, and for Sicario (2018) it was over 8000 NITS! Sicario DID seem darker to watch, I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Old 25th October 2020, 05:06   #60424  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
...and for Sicario (2018) it was over 8000 NITS! Sicario DID seem darker to watch, I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Yes, uncheck "output video in HDR format", check "measure each frame peak luminance", and for movies like Sicario lower target peak nits to 100.
Old 25th October 2020, 14:24   #60425  |  Link
SamuriHL

The thing about the beta builds is that they have vastly improved tone mapping. Madshi introduced histogram dynamic tone mapping that essentially measures each frame in real time. It is incredibly impressive and I know most of the projector owners that are using it are extremely satisfied with the results they are getting.

But...

Being test builds they have a ton of settings that must be tweaked. This is because madshi is trying to find the best combination of settings for different things. And there are a few bugs in the latest test build that will hopefully get fixed up soon.

All that being said, several people have posted their settings that they use in the test build thread. Those would be a great place to start from if you really want to see what great tone mapping can do for your projector. As long as you remember it's a test build and the few limitations it has, you will be blown away by what it can do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 25th October 2020, 17:06   #60426  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The thing about the beta builds is that they have vastly improved tone mapping. Madshi introduced histogram dynamic tone mapping that essentially measures each frame in real time. It is incredibly impressive and I know most of the projector owners that are using it are extremely satisfied with the results they are getting.

But...

Being test builds they have a ton of settings that must be tweaked. This is because madshi is trying to find the best combination of settings for different things. And there are a few bugs in the latest test build that will hopefully get fixed up soon.

All that being said, several people have posted their settings that they use in the test build thread. Those would be a great place to start from if you really want to see what great tone mapping can do for your projector. As long as you remember it's a test build and the few limitations it has, you will be blown away by what it can do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I may have to give it a try - do you have a link for the test build thread? Tried searching for it.

Also, if I am to try the beta build - should I completely uninstall the current build, or just download the beta and run the installer?
Old 25th October 2020, 17:34   #60427  |  Link
Siso

Quote:
I may have to give it a try - do you have a link for the test build thread? Tried searching for it.

Also, if I am to try the beta build - should I completely uninstall the current build, or just download the beta and run the installer?
You can replace the old files with the new ones.
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 18:10   #60428  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
I may have to give it a try - do you have a link for the test build thread? Tried searching for it

It was linked a few posts ago

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=60421
Old 25th October 2020, 18:12   #60429  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
The discussion thread, not the link for the download - got that already.

And is there a little help or guide to explain some of these new tweaks and features so I don't post unnecessary questions?
Old 25th October 2020, 18:45   #60430  |  Link
VBB

This is the thread over at AVS: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/imp...ector.2954506/

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2020, 19:14   #60431  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Not sure why anyone with a Zen 2 CPU would want or need to use hardware decoding... I am a firm believer in software decoding and if my ancient FX-8350 could just barely do HEVC 4K why wrestle with HW decoding?
Heat, noise, overall system responsiveness. Even if the CPU can do it, I'd rather do it with much less power and more speed by the GPU.
Old 25th October 2020, 19:36   #60432  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
You can replace the old files with the new ones.
Not a matter of "can". It's a requirement. The test builds are not a full build. It is required to replace the files from 0.9.17.
Old 25th October 2020, 19:37   #60433  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
And is there a little help or guide to explain some of these new tweaks and features so I don't post unnecessary questions?
Read the last few pages of that thread and look for NeoXP's posts that contain his settings. That'll be a fairly decent place to start.
Old 26th October 2020, 01:25   #60434  |  Link
LordX2

So I bit the bullet and jumped on the 113 train. It really does look good!

I am using: D3D11 (native), Chroma @ AA Medium, Luma @ Sharp High

**ONE important thing I noticed is that my video ram usage is VERY high. 3924MB (out of 4GB) so I am pretty much peaked - which could result in some playback issues on some scenes.

Is there a way to reduce video ram WITHOUT reducing quality in any way? Something like reducing the amount of frames presented in advance to 4 instead of 8?? Does that help video card ram at all? Any other ideas would be appreciated!**
Attached Images

Old 26th October 2020, 01:39   #60435  |  Link
SamuriHL

Try lowering the GPU queue size and see if that helps and if it breaks anything.
Old 26th October 2020, 07:50   #60436  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Is there a way to reduce video ram WITHOUT reducing quality in any way? Something like reducing the amount of frames presented in advance to 4 instead of 8?? Does that help video card ram at all? Any other ideas would be appreciated!**
I recommend not setting frames presented in advance above 3 so that is a great way to reduce memory usage.

Windows 10 doesn't seem to like too many frames presented in advance, it can cause un-reported (in madVR's UI) frame glitches/stutters.

Like SamuriHL suggested six or even lower GPU buffers works well on my system. This has the biggest impact on memory usage.
Old 26th October 2020, 12:25   #60437  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, just wondering if there are any advantages or pitfalls not using FSE, havent really used it for a while now, hasnt been required on AMD cards for HDR or 3D for a while
Old 26th October 2020, 13:08   #60438  |  Link
el Filou

When using native hardware decoding, reducing the decode queue (still mistakenly called 'CPU queue' in settings GUI) also helps reduce VRAM usage.

Last edited by el Filou; 26th October 2020 at 13:11.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 18:03   #60439  |  Link
VBB

@mclingo - There is really no reason to use FSE. Since MS added "fullscreen optimizations", FSE only works correctly if you disable this feature in the compatibility settings of the player.

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 20:33   #60440  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I recommend not setting frames presented in advance above 3 so that is a great way to reduce memory usage.

Windows 10 doesn't seem to like too many frames presented in advance, it can cause un-reported (in madVR's UI) frame glitches/stutters.

Like SamuriHL suggested six or even lower GPU buffers works well on my system. This has the biggest impact on memory usage.
I changed my settings as follows:
CPU Que - down to 8 (does lowering this help with rendering timing?)
GPU que - down to 4
Windows Frames to Present ahead - 3

This definitely reduced the video ram. Just a little bit, but that was all I needed to keep myself from maxing out my video card's 4GB.

I was even able to get chroma back up to AA medium. Although my rendering time is skating the LIMIT at between 36 and 39ms. I did notice it 'steal' one of the read ahead frames a couple of times - but they did their job, and no lost frame. So far at least.

I know I can reduce the Chroma to LOW if needed, and that will shave those rendering times down to 33.

Speaking of which, I played a 25FPS 4k file (a planet earth II) - and just this little bit of extra FPS was enough to tip the scale. I HAD to lower chroma to low in order to watch that file.

Separate Question: Does LUMA upscaling only come into play when actually upscaling? Like watching 1080p on my 4k screen? I only ever see it in CTRL-J when I am watching 1080p content.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling