Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th May 2009, 13:02   #1241  |  Link
sucht

i just swiched from XP(SP3) 64bit to Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit, i never had a real big problem with this renderer, but now on Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 i get this Macrovision Fail thing everytime i try to play one of my many DVDs(NTSC and PAL)
is there a workaround for this or do i have to switch to another renderer?

thanks and ciao
thomas
sucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 16:48   #1242  |  Link
KoD

It could be that on the 64 bit versions of Vista and Win7, the protected media path allows only signed components to be loaded during playback (so that nobody could dump the video stream). That would make it impossible to use unsigned components (like ffdshow or madVR).
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 17:13   #1243  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
It could be that on the 64 bit versions of Vista and Win7, the protected media path allows only signed components to be loaded during playback (so that nobody could dump the video stream). That would make it impossible to use unsigned components (like ffdshow or madVR).
Luckily that's not the case, as every renderer except MadVR (and even with MadVR some discs do work)
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 14:43   #1244  |  Link
kostik

Why Madvr 0.10 doesnt have the two 3dlut files ?
and how do I use them? just copy them from the 0.9 release and put them in the folder where madvr is?
10X
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 21:05   #1245  |  Link
t3nk3n

Is there plans for a x64 version?
t3nk3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 15:24   #1246  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I don't know if you mean strictly .ICM profile or LUT files.

HR doesn't care for .ICM files because it's not color managed..but it does care for LUT files in ARGYLLCMS(actually all the renderers do, except Overlay)

anyway, ARGYLLCMS is far more accurate than any other color calibration package, especially in "HQ" mode
I speak about icm profile created by lacieblueeye pro (hardware color calibration). I don't know what lut means but All I know is that madvr doesn't support color profile like overlay renderer and it's a big problem because powerdvd (except for blu-ray), windows media player, vlc, mpc-hc with vmr7,vmr9,evrcustom support color profile.

I hope that madshi will correct this problem ifnot madvr will be useless now and maybe even in ten years because It doesn't exist one monitor well calibrated in the world without hardware calibrator (ie deltaE<1 for all colors). Maybe i nten years it will be different but not today.

Quote:
oh ok, well AFAIK PowerDVD is not color managed...so I don't see how its VMR9 Renderless presenter could take simple .ICM files in account

anyway, case closed...if mVR does take the graphic card's CLUT in account, there's nothing to see here

@ikarad: I also have the Lacie BlueEyePro(rebadged i1d2), their software is awful...try ARGYLLCMS, I've discussed its usage thoroughly on HCFR w/ MLill

something like "dispcal -v -yc -t6500 -g2.3 -qh test"

PowerDVD works with color profile except with blu-ray mode (here color profile is desactivated under vista or xp).

Lacie blu eye pro software is very good. It works very fine.

Last edited by ikarad; 29th May 2009 at 15:32.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 16:09   #1247  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
I don't know what lut means
The idea of the 3DLUT is to achieve the same thing as the icm profile, accurate colors per standard in any display.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 19:15   #1248  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

how big is your .ICM file? probably it contains a LUT already...I never really bothered w/ the Lacie software, coz ARGYLLCMS does a finer job anyway..and ARGYLLCMS is fully compatible w/ any video renderer except Overlay.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 20:38   #1249  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
how big is your .ICM file? probably it contains a LUT already...I never really bothered w/ the Lacie software, coz ARGYLLCMS does a finer job anyway..and ARGYLLCMS is fully compatible w/ any video renderer except Overlay.
my .icc (created with lacieblueyepro) file (3ko)
http://www.zshare.net/info.html?6068...a5bec553875850
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 20:49   #1250  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

how do delayed frames alter the viewing experience? with dropped frames, there is stuttering, but how do only delayed frames change the look of the movie?
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 20:56   #1251  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
my .icc (created with lacieblueyepro) file (3ko)
http://www.zshare.net/info.html?6068...a5bec553875850
ok so it doesn't contain a LUT.
last time I played around w/ some color management app from X-Rite it gave the option to create 1D LUT ICC files.
I'm surprised PowerDVD is color managed and will take the simple ICM file in account ?! anyway, play around w/ ARGYLLCMS it's much more accurate and works perfectly fine w/ any video renderer(except Overlay...but PDVD uses VMR9 anyway, last time Jong checked anyway )

atm I use a LUT in ARGYLLCMS to fix my CRT colorimetry, then ddcc() in ffdshow to convert gamuts w/ HR.

Last edited by leeperry; 29th May 2009 at 20:59.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 15:14   #1252  |  Link
kostik

and how do I use them? just copy them from the 0.9 release and put them in the folder where madvr is?
10X
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 16:15   #1253  |  Link
nuhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
10X
They are auto-created when needed for the first time.
You can edit the templates in madvr cr3dlut folder.
What are exact rules which template is used and when I don't know but I presume it is resolution of the video among other things.

ikarad, I use display calibration as well and madvr works fine with it (Coloreyes Display Pro), it has a special lut loader on windows startup so I guess it is not dependant on Vista's ICM support.
Just saying so you know it is not all black and white.
nuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 17:55   #1254  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Found a small bug with the installer. Running install.bat as admin fails to register madVR. You have to run install.bat as a regular user, then click yes to the UAC warning. I'm on windows 7.

madVR is working except if you... pause video > resize > play... it crashes. I'm guessing that's been brought up already, just thought I would mention it.

Keep up the good work
mr.duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 21:41   #1255  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

About supporting YUY2... I've just been using the really excelent DScaler5 MPEG2 decoder to playback some TV shows. By default, it outputs YUY2, and the video looks truely dreadful because some grotty little default video renderer gets loaded in place of madVR. I finally worked out why madVR wasn't loading and I've set DScaler5 to output YV12 instead (BTW, how exactly is YV12 better than YUY2?).

I was thinking madVR being fed with YUY2 is still better than the alternatives being fed with YUY2. If madVR could support YUY2, and perhaps display an on screen warning message for 10 sec or so. Would that be a good idea?
Old 30th May 2009, 21:47   #1256  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
I was thinking madVR being fed with YUY2 is still better than the alternatives being fed with YUY2. If madVR could support YUY2, and perhaps display an on screen warning message for 10 sec or so. Would that be a good idea?
Yeah, but as explained before, YUY2 is not YV12. Videos are in YV12 so if mVR is to accept YUY2 then you would rely on potentially substandard chroma upscale in the decoder.

I think current implementation is more reasonable.
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 22:14   #1257  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh View Post
Yeah, but as explained before, YUY2 is not YV12. Videos are in YV12 so if mVR is to accept YUY2 then you would rely on potentially substandard chroma upscale in the decoder.
Hi, I've got a basic understanding of color spaces. Do you have a link to where you explained it before? Does all video use YV12? What about high def videos like straight from blu-ray disk?
Old 30th May 2009, 22:24   #1258  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Hi, I've got a basic understanding of color spaces. Do you have a link to where you explained it before? Does all video use YV12? What about high def videos like straight from blu-ray disk?
Unfortunately YV12 is what is used in practice. YUY2 has more colour information compared to YV12. In simple words, if you force decoder to output YUY2, then it has to do the chroma upscale. Potentially it can do it substandard. The point of mVR is to have no compromise in quality all the way, so it cannot rely on other filters.

I didn't explain it before though, it is an explanation by madshi, so you have to look it up in one of his monster sized posts

If you want to get some proper understanding about colorspaces, you may try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 23:06   #1259  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
About supporting YUY2... I've just been using the really excelent DScaler5 MPEG2 decoder to playback some TV shows. By default, it outputs YUY2, and the video looks truely dreadful because some grotty little default video renderer gets loaded in place of madVR. I finally worked out why madVR wasn't loading and I've set DScaler5 to output YV12 instead (BTW, how exactly is YV12 better than YUY2?).

I use the Unofficial 1080i IVTC version of Dscaler5 MPEG2 decoder to perform IVTC on TS files - it's the only decoder that finds 23.976fps in the 29.97fps stream.

To get around the YUY2 thing I run Ffdshow after in the filter path - Ffdshow outputs YV12 to madVR.

It may not be ideal, but it works, and you can play with ffdshow filters too
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 00:11   #1260  |  Link
ajp_anton

So you're going mpeg2 = YV12 -(dscaler)-> YUY -(ffdshow)-> YV12, and then madVR for its chroma upsampling quality?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling