Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 6th April 2016, 17:15   #861  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Maybe it is expecting UTF-8?
Try UTF-8 version: https://www.sendspace.com/file/9t63rz
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 13:50   #862  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Maybe it is expecting UTF-8?
Try UTF-8 version: https://www.sendspace.com/file/9t63rz
Thank you, that worked, but how did you convert it? How can I know if the next file require this conversion? Can I ask to implement a way to support file like this like in VLC?
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 14:07   #863  |  Link
sneaker_ger

There are different ways to encode text files. It seems like VLC has some kind of clever automatic detection while xy-vsfilter/XySubFilter do not. You can of course ask for a more clever detection but the development seems to be stalled so I would not expect much.

To detect such files you can open them in an editor like Notepad++. Click "Encoding"->"Encode in UTF-8 without BOM" and then see if diacritic and other special characters are displayed correctly. If yes, you do not need to do anything. If they are not displayed correctly, try "Encoding"->"Encode in ANSI" (or one of the other encodings, there are a lot to choose from). Once you have found an encoding that results in diacritics being displayed correctly, you click "Encoding"->"Convert to UTF-8 without BOM" and save the file. Now it should work.

P.S.: Just "UTF-8" is UTF-8 with a BOM. That's basically a small info at the beginning of the file that marks the encoding. Some software can read it and use it for better detection, other software has problems with it. xy-vsfilter/XySubFilter can probably handle both variations just fine so it does not really matter whether you save with or without BOM.

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 8th April 2016 at 14:11.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 11:34   #864  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Does anyone happen to know if development will ever kick back up again or whether a suitable replacement is in the works? I've got a file that lags at certain parts with XySubFilter but not with MPC-HC's built-in subtitle renderer.
SecurityBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 12:33   #865  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityBunny View Post
Does anyone happen to know if development will ever kick back up again or whether a suitable replacement is in the works? I've got a file that lags at certain parts with XySubFilter but not with MPC-HC's built-in subtitle renderer.
you can try AssFilterMod i think this what you need
Old 16th July 2016, 14:04   #866  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
but not with MPC-HC's built-in subtitle renderer.
I think you answered your own question...
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 02:15   #867  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
you can try AssFilterMod i think this what you need
While AssFilter doesn't lag in the part XySubFilter does, subtitles do not appear to be smooth when they are scrolling / moving across the screen. It appears to stutter, whereas Xy and built-in renderer do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
I think you answered your own question...
Perhaps, but the built-in renderer does not appear to be as smooth for heavily stylized and typesetted subtitles in the background. As well as drops the render queue size from a stable 8/8 to 3-5/8 when heavy typesetting occurs. Doesn't fix itself until you pause and play again. XySubFilter, besides lagging in a specific part in my test, does not. It is basically a toss-up for which is better in certain scenarios.

I'm just wondering if there is a definitive 'best' filter to use out of all options and whether or not XySubFilter development will be continued.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:20   #868  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
While AssFilter doesn't lag in the part XySubFilter does, subtitles do not appear to be smooth when they are scrolling / moving across the screen. It appears to stutter, whereas Xy and built-in renderer do not.
can you give me the test file ?
Old 22nd July 2016, 02:00   #869  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Quote:
can you give me the test file ?
Sure, will send you a PM.
Old 17th August 2016, 14:32   #870  |  Link
Tanuki

I have a strange bug : I use xysubfilter latest beta (3.1.0.746 Beta but I tried the previous beta too) in zoom player (tried several versions) in windows 7 and 10, and subs are sometimes rendered lower or higher than the previous sentence. The problem happens with srt, vobsubs and ass.
The problem started several months back, and I don't recall doing or installing something before it happened.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 22:06   #871  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
I have a strange bug : I use xysubfilter latest beta (3.1.0.746 Beta but I tried the previous beta too) in zoom player (tried several versions) in windows 7 and 10, and subs are sometimes rendered lower or higher than the previous sentence. The problem happens with srt, vobsubs and ass.
The problem started several months back, and I don't recall doing or installing something before it happened.
did this happen only with zoomplayer ?
and how about reset settings ?
PS: try MPC
Old 19th August 2016, 20:54   #872  |  Link
Tanuki

Quote:
did this happen only with zoomplayer ?
and how about reset settings ?
PS: try MPC
Even after resetting settings (with the .reg file), the problem is still there.

Same problem in MPC-HC latest nightly...
Old 19th August 2016, 21:33   #873  |  Link
huhn

are you sure the subtitles are created correctly?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 07:29   #874  |  Link
Tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
are you sure the subtitles are created correctly?
I'm not sure to understand the question, but the subs themselves are not the problem : they are playing fine in MPC-HC with internal subtitles renderer.

I reset MadVR settings too, but it didn't change anything.

PS : I noticed a strange thing yesterday while playing with MPC-HC, but it's not related : I have an anime OP video with karaoke subtitles that seem to be harder to render than average that I keep because it lags at one point with MadVR default settings. Thing is that with the same filters and settings (LAV, MadVR and xysubfilter), it doesn't lag in MPC-HC and still lag in Zoom player.

Last edited by Tanuki; 20th August 2016 at 07:43.
Old 20th August 2016, 10:33   #875  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
Your subtitle rendertimes might be overlapping. Causing a shift when the second subtitle is shown while the first is not finished yet.
Old 20th August 2016, 13:11   #876  |  Link
Tanuki

I tried what I should have done before posting : I only tried recently the 2 latest releases (744 and 746 BETA3), but there's no problem with the 705 BETA2.

I attached an example of vobsubs (for a video with a resolution of 853x480) that don't work correctly with BETA3. The first minute with both lyrics and dialogues at the same time is enough.
Attached Files
File Type: zip subs.zip (298.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Tanuki; 20th August 2016 at 14:28.
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:03   #877  |  Link
ChronosAI

Quote:
I had some video freezing/subtitle blinking problems with XySubFilter with heavy karaoke/ass typeset videos but managed to avoid those by increasing the cache sizes from within XySub control panel's "More" tab and "Cache Options" segment there.
ChronosAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:50   #878  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronosAI View Post
I had some video freezing/subtitle blinking problems with XySubFilter with heavy karaoke/ass typeset videos but managed to avoid those by increasing the cache sizes from within XySub control panel's "More" tab and "Cache Options" segment there.
can anyone explain to me the Xy-Sub control panel i dont get it
Old 26th August 2016, 12:10   #879  |  Link
ChronosAI

Quote:
can anyone explain to me the Xy-Sub control panel i dont get it
If you mean the values, just try increasing them (double 'em), the LV1/2/3/4 fields have an upper limit what I tried and the cache size field probably works on automation (-1), try setting it higher than what you have with the problematic/choppy typeset.

If you don't know how to access the filter control panel, open up a video that relies on it with say, mpc-hc and double-click on the video frame and you should see a menu with path like this:

Filters > XySubFilter (=> madVR) > Properties...

Mind you this is just a workaround I found to fix my problems and setup (mpc-hc, madvr, lav, xysub). The performance/cache issues with heavy-weight karaoke/typeset might get addressed if xysub development resumes.
ChronosAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 17:27   #880  |  Link
kirakami

xy-vsfilter no longer being developed? Nothing since last release in 2014.
kirakami is offline   Reply With Quote