Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th August 2020, 11:44   #59901  |  Link
Octo-puss

Ten thousands of dollars? What? Who's that aimed at and what for?
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 11:53   #59902  |  Link
SamuriHL

The high end home theater owners who spend that much and more on high end projectors and other equipment. Currently those people are served by lumagen video processors. Madshi has a dream of building a competing product from mostly of the shelf components that allow any hdmi source device to be used as input with a custom version of madvr driving the output. Because he's working with known hardware and drivers he's able to control the output very well. Additionally he'll be building new tensor core based algorithms for the envy which will further separate it from any other video processor out there. There is a pro model that's around 7 grand. And the extreme model which will be around 12 grand. Obviously this is targeted at a different user base than those who build htpc around madvr. It remains to be seen what happens to madvr in the future.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 12th August 2020, 13:31   #59903  |  Link
mclingo

I predict ENVY will fail massively to sell the required numbers and they will be forced to drop to a software license at least alongside to recoup some of their costs. I can certainly understand why MADSHI took a punt on hardware but he should have just licensed MADVR and kept all the money himself, 99% of people currently using would pay for i'm sure and he could have even had basic, user and proc licensees with different access to algos and settings to ensure all price points were covered.

This may still happen.
Old 12th August 2020, 13:41   #59904  |  Link
Octo-puss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The high end home theater owners who spend that much and more on high end projectors and other equipment. Currently those people are served by lumagen video processors. Madshi has a dream of building a competing product from mostly of the shelf components that allow any hdmi source device to be used as input with a custom version of madvr driving the output. Because he's working with known hardware and drivers he's able to control the output very well. Additionally he'll be building new tensor core based algorithms for the envy which will further separate it from any other video processor out there. There is a pro model that's around 7 grand. And the extreme model which will be around 12 grand. Obviously this is targeted at a different user base than those who build htpc around madvr. It remains to be seen what happens to madvr in the future.

Wait, it's not targeted at businesses like, well, actual cinemas? Are you telling me someone would buy this as a home user? What the actual F?
Besides, even after reading the website I still don't understand what is it supposed to do. Doesn't a TV already produce a moving image?
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 13:55   #59905  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
You know any alternative to madvr?
Any other render or player it can passthrough HDR correct

Thanks and regards
KODI v19 => https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-19x-matrix-alpha-1
pistacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 14:08   #59906  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
Wait, it's not targeted at businesses like, well, actual cinemas? Are you telling me someone would buy this as a home user? What the actual F?

Besides, even after reading the website I still don't understand what is it supposed to do. Doesn't a TV already produce a moving image?
It's targeted at very high end home theaters. The kind of people who build a dedicated theater room with very expensive projectors. If you're familiar with what madvr provides then you know what envy can do. Only it does it with an hdcp compliant hdmi input. Meaning you can plug any source device into it and madvr will enhance it. Dynamic tone mapping, upscaling, etc all can be done to any source. These aren't purchased by an end user directly. They are sold through system installers and dealers. The kind of people who drop 50 to 100+ grand building their theater. To them 12 grand for a video processor that can tone map hdr to their projector from any source device is reasonable. No it's not a big market. And no there's zero overlap with the htpc community. Different markets entirely.

Old 12th August 2020, 17:06   #59907  |  Link
SirMaster

I mean I see people buy $9000 anamorphic DCR lenses for their ~$7000 JVC projector just to gain 38% brightness and make the pixel density a little smaller.

Surely a $7000 or $12000 video processor is not out of the question for all the befits its can do for the image. I think an Envy is certainly a better investment than an a-lens.

Let alone those using $25K+ projectors, etc.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 17:16   #59908  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistacho View Post
Man, I really wish the Kodi people could somehow support madVR through their video player.

DSPlayer is really getting dated now stuck on Kodi 17.6

I know you can do an external player with Kodi 18/19, but then you lose support for the Kodi playback OSD and Kodi remote controls during playback since it's all happening in a external player.

And none of the external players that support madVR have very nice 10-ft GUIs that you can use to control wuth a remote (like changing audio tracks or selecting subtitle tracks and stuff like that)
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 17:43   #59909  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I mean I see people buy $9000 anamorphic DCR lenses for their ~$7000 JVC projector just to gain 38% brightness and make the pixel density a little smaller.

Surely a $7000 or $12000 video processor is not out of the question for all the befits its can do for the image. I think an Envy is certainly a better investment than an a-lens.

Let alone those using $25K+ projectors, etc.
Yup. For those that have the kind of money where those things are something to worry about, I absolutely agree. I don't think the market is huge, but it's not miniscule, either. These are the types of people who want home theaters to rival and in some cases surpass the movie theater experience. Certainly if I had an extra 150k kicking around I know what I'd build.
Old 12th August 2020, 21:02   #59910  |  Link
dbezerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Man, I really wish the Kodi people could somehow support madVR through their video player.

DSPlayer is really getting dated now stuck on Kodi 17.6

I know you can do an external player with Kodi 18/19, but then you lose support for the Kodi playback OSD and Kodi remote controls during playback since it's all happening in a external player.

And none of the external players that support madVR have very nice 10-ft GUIs that you can use to control wuth a remote (like changing audio tracks or selecting subtitle tracks and stuff like that)
I feel the same way SirMaster. It's sad that today we don't have any good option combining the power of MadVR with a nice 10-ft interface. Well, some will say that JRiver is the answer, but I personally think their 10-ft UI is really outdated and I never found an alternative to the need of writing NFO files together with my media. This is a big no-no for me - all clients see my media as read-only.
dbezerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 21:15   #59911  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbezerra View Post
I feel the same way SirMaster. It's sad that today we don't have any good option combining the power of MadVR with a nice 10-ft interface. Well, some will say that JRiver is the answer, but I personally think their 10-ft UI is really outdated and I never found an alternative to the need of writing NFO files together with my media. This is a big no-no for me - all clients see my media as read-only.
I'd love to see Madshi release a customized version of KODI that works with madVR. Madshi and company could fork their own KODI version and provide it for free (open source) and I'd be happy to buy a license for his madVR software. As it stands today, he is making $0 from the 99% of us who will never, ever be able to afford Envy, but I'm thinking he could create a revenue stream from those of us willing to purchase a license (basic? standard? advanced? And monthly? annually? lifetime one-time purchase?) to use madVR.
*MidnightWatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 21:30   #59912  |  Link
pepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistacho View Post
Thanks for the asnwer

But is more than a player, you know only a player or render?

If not I will have to use kodi since madvr is deprecated

Also I read this about kodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Thanks for the info.
Player plays all demanding stuff on intel, so dxva is quite well optimized.
[PS. Nah, found some particular problems]

However it treats brightness differently to other players. Some samples looks like not so colourful when played in other players. On the other hand HDR videos are not completely pale, i think player tries to preserve most black/white tonal range upon saturated colours.
But im on internal laptop screen so, maybe will check more options available.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 22:18   #59913  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
However it treats brightness differently to other players. Some samples looks like not so colourful when played in other players. On the other hand HDR videos are not completely pale, i think player tries to preserve most black/white tonal range upon saturated colours.
I hope that isn't true, that would be terrible as a default. I don't want extra colorful colors. My display is calibrated to a standard, output in the correct standard.
Old 12th August 2020, 23:28   #59914  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbezerra View Post
jRiver is great as a player that supports madVR very well, but I find it too limited as a front end.

For the UI, I use CMC (https://chamconsoft.com/cmc/), which replaces WMC and uses the MyMovies collection manager. It supports jRiver as an external player (following my request to add it) perfectly, amongst others.

It works great on the HTPC, completely usable with a remote (or an iPad/iPhone using iRule or similar).

MyMovies also controls the Dune players (directly) and some Oppo players (with a bridge) through its own iOS app, so you can use the same collection manager for both HTPC and standalone players.

Works great for me.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 13th August 2020 at 08:58.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 08:35   #59915  |  Link
JaylumX
Something Else

VLC player also does this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
You know any alternative to madvr?
Any other render or player it can passthrough HDR correct

Thanks and regards
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 10:25   #59916  |  Link
pepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylumX View Post
VLC player also does this.
He can auto switch to HDR too?

If the answer is yes I have my new player
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 17:11   #59917  |  Link
Alexkral

I have a problem with madVR and MPC-HC/BE. I've bought an SMSL SP200 amplifier for my headphones, and when I set it to high gain and maximum volume, I can clearly hear a high-pitched and repetitive sound simply when playing video, or when moving the player window, with the player volume at 0. I've tried changing the filters and disabling the Audio Switcher in MPC with no result. If I set the EVR as the renderer, the sound disappears. I can also hear it by clicking the Apply button on any madVR screen. When using any scaler other than NGU, the sound changes and becomes less noticeable, except when moving the player screen.

Of course if I lower the volume of the amplifier, the sound is less perceptible, but it is still quite noticeable with the volume at half, and with less than that I do not get any benefit from the amplifier.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 18:00   #59918  |  Link
huhn

your dpundcard/amp is not cleaning the power properly nothing madVR can do about.

could be fixed with a different GPU, could be fixed with a different mainboard, could be fixed with a new PSU, or could be your sound card.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 18:27   #59919  |  Link
chros

What's your sound output? RCA/HDMI? What sound device? Onboard audio/dedicated soundcard?
Can't you try it with a different sound device?
Old 13th August 2020, 19:22   #59920  |  Link
Alexkral

I'm using a USB DAC/AMP as DAC and preamp, connected to the SP200 by RCA. I have noticed that it also happens with mpv and even with the EVR when using demanding shaders. Curiously, it doesn't happen with my Fiio E12 also connected by RCA to the 3.5 mm input.

Anyway I bought the SP200 thinking that it would give me more headroom for the high impedance headphones, but since with the E12 I get more or less the same, I'm going to return it.

And yes, I tend to like a fairly high volume for some movies.

Thanks to both of you.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling