Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 22nd May 2019, 10:44   #1  |  Link
stormy1777

VD2: Working with Dual Panes & Avisynth

This might be super newbie, sorry.

When opening video DIRECTLY, and using builtin filters; it is my understanding that the left pane shows original clip, whereas right one is after filters are applied.

Is there any way to get the same effect with avisynth? It seems in all cases (outside script or builtin script editor), both panes show identical (processed?) clip... I'm assuming this is "logically" correct from program stand point, but wondering if there is any way to put the two panes to use when working with avisynth scripts.

Thanks.
stormy1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:52   #2  |  Link
shekh

You can add filter to overwrite video with the original source. Then swap panes
left <- avisynth + fflayer filter pointing to original mp4
right <- avisynth

Of course, this is just for fancy viewing, don't forget to disable filters if you start to encode.
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:45   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Shekh,

Dont know if I've got something misconfigured, but I'm seeing 2 copies of fflayer in Filters.:-

Also, when trying to load png file via load video, it dont work (refuses to accept in the fileselector), works ok for jpg.
Can anybody reproduce both in build 43602. [EDIT: I'm on Win7 x64]

EDIT: Weirder and Weirder, failed with load BMP and JPG, all fails written with W7 Paint. Successful jpg written by VD2.

EDIT: Damn, now all work OK, loads Paint saved BMP, PNG, JPG, and VD saved PNG and JPG. No explanation !

EDIT: Jpg that sometimes fails:- http://www.mediafire.com/file/3j133q...titled.7z/file
Seems that might be failing when you change directories from the initial directry.

EDIT: Seems more likely to fail when switching directory from original directory to Libaries/My Pictures/ and attempting load.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 22nd May 2019 at 19:34.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:45   #4  |  Link
shekh

2 copies of fflayer: this is possible if you put same file (avlib-1.vdplugin) both in "plugins" and "plugins64"

refuses to accept in the fileselector: how? Is the "open" button disabled or you can press it but nothing happens?
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:11   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I had an avlib-1.vdplugin in all 3 directories. plain, 32, and 64. (dont know how it got into plain Plugins dir).

When you click on Open button, it flickers (looks like it maybe attempts open and then back to prompt for select again, might just be a redraw of form, almost nothing happens).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:18   #6  |  Link
shekh

Weird. And if you click again it stays the same? Is this repeatable with specific folder & filename?
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:27   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

This after saving BMP to jpg via VD2 (and with avlib-1.vdplugin thing removed).

It does NOT flicker, the image title is displayed Hilited in the FileName box, and when click Open, goes non hilite, then Hilite again, nothing else happens. [same if you double click filename]

It seems to sometimes do it, sometimes not, each time starting from new opened VD2, and switching directories, from C:\Z\ to Libraries\My Pictures\ and next time other way around.
(I have same file in both directories).
When fails, have already done exact same thing before with success, "curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.

Old 22nd May 2019, 22:40   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Did reboot.

Tried new start VD2, switch dir from previous to alternate, and attempt load.
Repeated above line about 30 times, no problems.

Perhaps reboot fixed some system problem.
Dont know what else to say.

EDIT: The problem still happened (when it did happen) regardless of Single File, Linked Segements, Sequence, Radio buttons, or when switching file type filter to All Types.

EDIT: And attributes NOT Hidden or Read Only.

EDIT: Just forget it, wait see if it happens again.

EDIT:
Quote:
Weird. And if you click again it stays the same? Is this repeatable with specific folder & filename?
Did not see this post.
When it dont work, click again, does exact same thing.
"repeatable", Sometimes
[EDIT: Dont recall if it was repeatable in same session after close fileselector, reopen, think it might have been always repeatable in such case. (I think I would have noticed if not repeatable in same session)]

EDIT: Thankyou for your patience.

Last edited by StainlessS; 22nd May 2019 at 23:25.
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:03   #9  |  Link
shekh

Are you talking about main menu File->Open? I thought this was in fflayer filter filename picker.
Can you record your screen?
File->Open does refuse to open in the way you describe if for any reason it cannot understand the file type ("Open using" dropdown is empty in that case).
Sometimes this happens with manually entered filenames. For example, pick a file and then type any extra characters. However, this is easy to notice.
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:09   #10  |  Link
stormy1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
You can add filter to overwrite video with the original source. Then swap panes
left <- avisynth + fflayer filter pointing to original mp4
right <- avisynth

Of course, this is just for fancy viewing, don't forget to disable filters if you start to encode.
Thanks for the reply, however, at the moment most is (still) beyond my understanding.. more specifically:

1) "swap panes" , how ? I see View-Pane Layout, but not sure what "swap" means..

2) you hint it's possible to load something into left and right panes, i did try to use the fflayer with video, but do not understand what it does..

My idea is to be able to easily "see" the avisynth improvements/changes vs. the original video, it's ok to disable the fflayer before final encoding...
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:57   #11  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Oops sorry Shekh, the two problems were unrelated, I meant just plain oold CTRL/O "Open Video File".
As it is not happening any longer, I cant record it.
I dont think that I've even even noticed the "Open Using" dropdown, I dont think that it was visible during problems,
I would have noticed it I think. think was indeed empty.
I would not manual enter filename if visible in file selector, I is lazy.
Please dont waste any more time on this, I'll come back if it happens again.

Stormy,
1) Menu/View/"Swap Input/Output Panes"/

2)
I had not used fflayer thing yet, so here goes. (writing as trying it, I gonna use two scripts instead of 1 script and one video clip).

cb_test1.avs : Load into VD2
Code:
colorbars(Pixel_Type="YV12").KillAudio.ShowFrameNumber
Trim(0,-1000) # 1000 frames
ConvertToRGB32
cb_test2.avs : Menu/Viideo/Filters/ [Add : fflayer] Open cb_test2.avs script : fflayer/Configure "Apply Timeline from 0".
Code:
colorbars(Pixel_Type="YV12").KillAudio.ShowFrameNumber.FlipHorizontal.Invert
Trim(0,-1000) # 1000 frames
ConvertToRGB32
Could not get it to work, Got nowhere so far.

Found this here:- https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermod/wiki/Home/

Quote:
fflayer

Fused with Caching Input Driver (most properties are the same).

Blends a picture or video on top of background (Similar to Logo filter).
Can be animated.
Can be used to reverse video.
Only rgb32 mode now.
Changed script to RGB32[was originally YV12, changes in script above] still no joy.

Does not work with avs as fflayer.

Save result of cb_test2.avs file to cb_test2.avi, (UtVideo RGB).

Retried with above and the cb_test2.avi file for fflayer, works OK as expected. [DONT forget Apply Timeline from 0 in fflayer config]

Ensure View/Pane Layout/Both Panes.
View/Enable Input Pane
View/Enable Output Pane
Swap Input/Output Panes

Works fine.
Needs play via "Output Playback" [3rd little button on bottom left of VD2].

Went up a few blind alleys before I got to above, but now,
SORTED.

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd May 2019 at 17:00.
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:12   #12  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1777 View Post
Thanks for the reply, however, at the moment most is (still) beyond my understanding.. more specifically:

1) "swap panes" , how ? I see View-Pane Layout, but not sure what "swap" means..

2) you hint it's possible to load something into left and right panes, i did try to use the fflayer with video, but do not understand what it does..

My idea is to be able to easily "see" the avisynth improvements/changes vs. the original video, it's ok to disable the fflayer before final encoding...
There is "View->Swap input/output panes".
fflayer is a video filter that can put image or video on top. In other words, video layer. To make it follow the timeline, tick the filter option "follow timeline".
As result, you can compare before filter (done by avisynth) and after filter (coming from video file directly).
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:20   #13  |  Link
shekh

StainlessS, thanks for guideline, didn't read it before replying. fflayer indeed does not work wit avisynth, I removed its support when compiled ffmpeg but the video can be any pixel format, it is just converted to rgb32 when decoding/applying the filter.
Old 28th May 2019, 21:26   #14  |  Link
stormy1777

ok, so you write "fflayer indeed does not work with avisynth", so in effect there is no way to do what was asked in original post? i.e , see original video on left, and avisynth result on right pane?

Thanks.
Old 28th May 2019, 22:19   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

If RGB you can

Why not just use StackHorizontal(Original,Result) in AVS like most do ???

EDIT: For a fancy comparison, see here:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...25#post1725525

Code:
Avisource("D:\Parade.avi")
SplitTheDiff(Last,"Blur(1.58).Blur(1.58).Blur(1.58)",Order=True,Alt=False,Show=True,Amp=True,Displace=1.0/3.0)
return last

Last edited by StainlessS; 29th May 2019 at 16:24.