Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 11th October 2019, 14:29   #17461  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Did you try an HTPC too?
No I haven't !!

HTPC and/or streaming doesn't suit me, I don't like the idea of having a pc running, just to watch movies.
Old 11th October 2019, 14:41   #17462  |  Link
SKPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Admittedly, some 4K movies could be done an easier way, but on some where I want to increased (or decrease) the bitrate, I have to re encode it.

Not trying to compress !!, mind you, I really haven't looked into that, too much.
Why would you want to increase the bitrate?
SKPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 14:44   #17463  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKPN View Post
Why would you want to increase the bitrate?
Because increasing bitrate also automagically increases quality doh

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 11th October 2019 at 14:47.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 16:56   #17464  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Speaking of taking time...it took 27 minutes to "prepare" a 4K movie, copying from a spinner (main movie) to an SSD temp drive, (just like you, byteshare) with Lsmash.

It was John Wick 3, @ approx 65 Gb.

And yes, I am yet to complete my "muxing" test, that will be in a few days, will be interesting if SSD's make much difference to large files.
I almost never use LSmash, so I don't see those delays with large files.
Sorry. Try FFMS2 or GPU decode (if applicable). The LSmash slowness issues isn't RB's fault.

Quote:
I didn't think you would, but this particular movie is approx 65Gb, has a 63.5Mb/s bitrate.

I simply want to strip stuff out, redo audio, as most 4K movies are TrueHD, and my tv doesn't support that. So I have to convert it either with RB, or eac3to.

Also some filtering, subtitling, etc, if required.

So I am aiming to do the majority of the 4K movies I have @ a 60Mb/s bitrate, that will increase some, and decrease others.

So I do things differently to most...so what !!!!
Try Foobar2000 if you just want to process audio.
Are you encoding to HEVC/x265? If so your files should be smaller and still look the same even if you're using CRF18.
As pointed out, it sounds like you're doing a lot of work for just getting your TV to play a file when you wouldn't have to do all of that if you got a stand alone set-top box like an Nvida Shield TV (don't need a PC to use Plex) or Mi Box (~$50 USD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
LOL
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 20:45   #17465  |  Link
mparade

According to Windows scheduler it seems that Ripbot is not able to saturate my 1950X even in distributed encoding mode.
Processor utilization fluctuates between 78-85% with any number of encodes started.Ripbot sees only Numa node 0 with 32 threads instead of 0 and 1 with 16 each. Is this the problem?

Interestingly, my 2990WX is fully saturated with it's 32 cores while all 4 nodes being correctly identified by Ripbot.

Any help would be appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 20:48   #17466  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

1950x by default works in Uma mode (can be changed in bios) while 2990wx only supports NUMA mode.
Old 11th October 2019, 21:06   #17467  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
1950x by default works in Uma mode (can be changed in bios) while 2990wx only supports NUMA mode.
Thanks.

In UMA mode my 1950x seems to be like "turtle" compared to 2990wx. Is it possible that 1950x is not correctly recognized by Ripbot? My 2990wx is recognized as "AMD-2990wx" in distributed encoding window while my 1950x is not as something like "AMD-1950x". If I change my 1950x to NUMA mode Ripbot tells it still has only one node. I am going to play with my 1950x tomorrow to find out why it is slow and cannot saturate the cores using Ripbot.
Old 11th October 2019, 21:09   #17468  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Does task manager also see single node?
Old 11th October 2019, 21:16   #17469  |  Link
mparade

Sorry for the question but where is this presented in task manager?

Anyway, it is like magic "transcoding" movies with "placebo" settings using Ripbot!

Last edited by mparade; 11th October 2019 at 21:21.
Old 11th October 2019, 21:18   #17470  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Right Click on CPU graph and select NUMA nodes.
Old 11th October 2019, 22:15   #17471  |  Link
mparade

Now both Windows task manager and Ripbot shows 2 nodes...sorry...I must have been drunk.
Now I am on 100% with my 1950x as well...just need to enter NUMA mode. Thank you.

Last edited by mparade; 11th October 2019 at 22:18.
Old 11th October 2019, 22:32   #17472  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Now both Windows task manager and Ripbot shows 2 nodes...sorry...I must have been drunk.
Now I am on 100% with my 1950x as well...just need to enter NUMA mode. Thank you.
I suppose that intensive (latency/bandwith)communication between dies prevents you from 100% CPU usage. In NUMA mode both dies work on separated data.
Old 12th October 2019, 02:05   #17473  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Ha, so sarcasm aside...prove me wrong !!!

Someone provide me with some proven 4K settings to equal original video quality, at a much lower bitrate & file size !!
Old 12th October 2019, 05:50   #17474  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Ha, so sarcasm aside...prove me wrong !!!

Someone provide me with some proven 4K settings to equal original video quality, at a much lower bitrate & file size !!
Well, more bitrate than the original doesn't mean better quality, since there are plenty of ways to increase a bitrate but still get garbage quality. When dealing with x264/x265 there are a lot of complicated settings you can tweak, but usually either you're going for 1:1 quality with the original or some balance of quality with size. I prefer the later. If I want 1:1 I'll just copy the video and not process it.
I've encoded enough video to know there is no perfect settings for all videos of all types. You can get good general settings but for better results you'll need to tweak settings per video.
Old 12th October 2019, 06:07   #17475  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
Well, more bitrate than the original doesn't mean better quality, since there are plenty of ways to increase a bitrate but still get garbage quality. When dealing with x264/x265 there are a lot of complicated settings you can tweak, but usually either you're going for 1:1 quality with the original or some balance of quality with size. I prefer the later. If I want 1:1 I'll just copy the video and not process it.
I've encoded enough video to know there is no perfect settings for all videos of all types. You can get good general settings but for better results you'll need to tweak settings per video.
So I have been doing some more "research", and it seems that a bitrate of around 55 - 60Mb/s is the high end of 4K HEVC encodes.

Some, are higher, and some are lower.

With some of my recent encodes I have used a 1 pass with a bitrate set @ 60,000kbp/s (in the RB setting's).

Some might use a CRF (CQ) number of say 18 or 16 to get a good result.

With maybe a Slow preset...I'm not using any preset's at this stage.

So not knowing what your experience is with 4K movies, can you suggest a starting point ??
Old 12th October 2019, 06:18   #17476  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
So I have been doing some more "research", and it seems that a bitrate of around 55 - 60Mb/s is the high end of 4K HEVC encodes.

Some, are higher, and some are lower.

With some of my recent encodes I have used a 1 pass with a bitrate set @ 60,000kbp/s (in the RB setting's).

Some might use a CRF (CQ) number of say 18 or 16 to get a good result.

With maybe a Slow preset...I'm not using any preset's at this stage.

So not knowing what your experience is with 4K movies, can you suggest a starting point ??
As for general settings, presets aren't a bad place start depending on your needs. I don't use straight presets myself because I want a balanced encode and no preset can keep reasonable quality and size and speed for my tastes.
It isn't clear what you're trying to do to me. If I were to guess it just seems like you want to keep the quality the same as the source, no?
If you want that and aren't doing filters than I'd just use Ultra-Fast downscale a lot and then at the end copy back in the source video.
If you want to keep quality close to the source but still using filters, which filters are you using? Once you're using filters it really changes things. I tend to not like grain so I reduce that with some careful settings.
Old 12th October 2019, 06:49   #17477  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
As for general settings, presets aren't a bad place start depending on your needs. I don't use straight presets myself because I want a balanced encode and no preset can keep reasonable quality and size and speed for my tastes.
It isn't clear what you're trying to do to me. If I were to guess it just seems like you want to keep the quality the same as the source, no?
If you want that and aren't doing filters than I'd just use Ultra-Fast downscale a lot and then at the end copy back in the source video.
If you want to keep quality close to the source but still using filters, which filters are you using? Once you're using filters it really changes things. I tend to not like grain so I reduce that with some careful settings.
Well, as I said, I'd like to have my 4K's at a "standard" of 60Mps, and again, as I've said, some have lower than that, some are higher, so for that I need to run them thru RB, even if it's video only.

For what I want & need to do to audio, can be dealt with other app's, as too, the subtitles.

I have to agree, I don't like grain either, but fortunately most 4K's aren't very "noisy", so not a lot of filtering required.

I know I need to try a few different options, but it's the time factor that's my main concern...imagine doing a high bitrate 4K HEVC, on a Slow preset, using MDGrain2....day's even with my "farm".

But the other time waster is between when the encode is completed, and the start of the next job in queue...meaning the muxing, etc...it leaves a lot of resources doing nothing. , but having said that, I am yet to test this again, after putting some SSD's in the mix.

One thing I would like to get around to doing is upscaling some 1080p to 4K, but do any filtering, etc, still @ 1080p, then once satisfied, do a 4K HEVC encode, and see how it turns out.

But just imagine the time & resources involved when 8K is a lot more common place.
Old 12th October 2019, 08:07   #17478  |  Link
skylinekiller

I am trying to edit the font when I hardcode subtitle into my encode, but it doesn't seem to be working. I edited the notepad file in Tools\AviSynth plugins\VSFilter\Default.style with the parameters below.

Style: Default,Univers CE 45 Light,41,16777215,0,16777215,0,-1,0,2,1,2,20,20,20,0,0

what it looks like with the above settings in RipBot https://ibb.co/S7xFvpn

This is what it should look like.. The resolution is not as good but trust me, the font is not accepting the setttings
https://ibb.co/92VB0Xt

This is the setting from srt2ssa

Synch Point: Side 1 0m00s
Collisions: Normal
Timer: 100.0000
Style: Default,Univers CE 45 Light,41,16777215,0,16777215,0,-1,0,2,1,2,20,20,20,0,0

Why am I getting a shadow

Last edited by skylinekiller; 12th October 2019 at 08:11.
skylinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 10:39   #17479  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
I suppose that intensive (latency/bandwith)communication between dies prevents you from 100% CPU usage. In NUMA mode both dies work on separated data.
Under heavy load my Windows on 2990WX used to reset itself randomly without any error message in ripbot however my temperatures are ok in amd ryzen master. 1950x doesn't do it at all even under heavy load...it happens both with encoding 4K and HD.
I am using 4x8GB memory in quad channel layout in both. Power supply units are also powerful enough in both and both are using same type of liquid cooling.
Do you have any suggestion? I would really appreciate that.

Last edited by mparade; 12th October 2019 at 10:43.
Old 12th October 2019, 10:45   #17480  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Normally when PC shutdowns or resets I blame power supply. Especially when shutdowns/resets happen during heavy load (high power consumption). For testing purposes I would swap power supplies 1950x<->2990wx.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360