Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th October 2017, 22:29   #46341  |  Link
ABDO

madshi you are wonderful, great work, mucht thanks
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 22:39   #46342  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

I don't even know what the bug is all about. I don't have the resources to go to other forums to look for bugs. If the ProgDVB developer thinks there's a bug in madVR then he'll welcome to contact me about it. He did contact me about the deinterlacing bug, and it's fixed now.
That would require him to acknowledge it as a bug, which so far I couldn't get him to do. (The deinterlacing issue took a year...)
I got nowhere with that. Keeps pointing me towards madVR.

But basically the bug is that I get this:
(madvr)

Instead of this:
(EVR)

(Even though I have HD skin enabled.)
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 22:41   #46343  |  Link
bitterman

Quote:
The decoder queue goes empty in the moment when this happens. Which means that the decoder is not sending madVR any frames in this situation. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't seem like it's likely to be madVR's fault. Have you tried another video renderer like VMR9 or EVR? If the problem also occurs with them, then that would prove that it's not madVR's fault.
It wasn't a fun thing to do, but I've watched the movie with both EVR (custom presenter) and VMR9 (renderless) for approximately 30 minutes straight. Nothing happened.

The moment I changed back to MadVR. The freeze image issue was there again.

The problem only goes away when I untick HEVC in LAV video configuration. Then the playback is smooth and nothing happens.

It's safe to say that the problem is causing because of my not HEVC compatible video card, the GTX 650 Ti.

I have no idea why with EVR and VMR9 the freeze image issue didn't occurred.
Because while I was testing I did had the HEVC box ticked in LAV video and the current active decoder was my gpu instead of avcodec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
No, R7 doesn't support HEVC at all. Then LAV simply falls back to software decoding. Good software decoding is often better than "bad" (no ASIC) hardware decoding.

If you open LAV Video settings during playback it will tell you which decoder is currently active. ("avcodec" = (ffmpeg) software decoder)
Yes, you were right. On my dad's computer the active decoder was "avcodec".
Even though HEVC was still ticked in his LAV video configuration it did automatically went for avcodec instead of using his gpu.

Last edited by bitterman; 8th October 2017 at 22:49.
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 22:46   #46344  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
4) Currently chroma noise/artifact reduction is very slow because I'm doing it in luma resolution. In a future version I'll do it on the original chroma data instead which should reduce the chroma processing hit to a quarter of the current cost for 4:2:0 content.
Sounds good. The (old Youtube) videos I'm testing this on right now need a huge amount of deblocking in the chroma channels, but luma only needs some minor adjustments. Would it be possible to have a separate strength setting for the chroma channel processing? On these videos I need a strength setting of 9 or 10 to fix the chroma, but that obviously does far too much damage to the complete image.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 22:53   #46345  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
madVR v0.92.5 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

1) Please test the new algorithms and let me know what you think!
Getting a failed error message (repeatedly) trying to download v0.92.5. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 8th October 2017, 22:56   #46346  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
bilinear: https://abload.de/img/billineare3pa6.png
ngu sharp: https://abload.de/img/ngusharpe1rem.png

i don't even know where to start it is anywhere.

if you can't see the major difference I suggest in a not offensive way to meet a optician to fix the problem.

the difference is really really big al over the image except the sky.
how do you change stairs on an image. ping
thank you
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 22:56   #46347  |  Link
juanchu

MPC-BE (1.5.1 (build 2755) beta) crashes with madVR turned on. If I try to change file after playing it or if I try to close player, then crashes. With previous version, this didn't happen.

However, there is no problem with MPC-HC (1.7.13).
juanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 22:58   #46348  |  Link
ABDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Getting a failed error message (repeatedly) trying to download v0.92.5. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
no,every thing is normal here
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 22:58   #46349  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
madVR v0.92.5 released

* fixed: ProgDVB: DXVA deinterlacing didn't activate after channel switch
* fixed: potential freeze when freeing madVR instance
* fixed: playback trouble after switching video files (introduced in v0.92)
[/code]
I think something may have gotten awry. Now I get a crash every time I change-channel/try-to-change-renderer/unload-tuner with ProgDVB and every time I stop-playback/open-a-new-file-during-playback with potplayer. So it seems like when madVR is unloaded.

I couldn't test for the previous deinterlacing or hanging issues because of this.

(all I did was overwrite the files in the madVR folder and ran instal.bat)
Old 8th October 2017, 23:01   #46350  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
That would require him to acknowledge it as a bug, which so far I couldn't get him to do. (The deinterlacing issue took a year...)
I got nowhere with that. Keeps pointing me towards madVR.

But basically the bug is that I get this:
(madvr)

Instead of this:
(EVR)

(Even though I have HD skin enabled.)
Is there an easy way for me to reproduce this without requiring any actual DVB hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterman View Post
It wasn't a fun thing to do, but I've watched the movie with both EVR (custom presenter) and VMR9 (renderless) for approximately 30 minutes straight. Nothing happened.

The moment I changed back to MadVR. The freeze image issue was there again.

The problem only goes away when I untick HEVC in LAV video configuration. Then the playback is smooth and nothing happens.

It's safe to say that the problem is causing because of my not HEVC compatible video card, the GTX 650 Ti.

I have no idea why with EVR and VMR9 the freeze image issue didn't occurred.
Because while I was testing I did had the HEVC box ticked in LAV video and the current active decoder was my gpu instead of avcodec.
Does madVR show "(DXVA11)" at the end of the 4th line in the Ctrl+J OSD when these freezes occur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Sounds good. The (old Youtube) videos I'm testing this on right now need a huge amount of deblocking in the chroma channels, but luma only needs some minor adjustments. Would it be possible to have a separate strength setting for the chroma channel processing? On these videos I need a strength setting of 9 or 10 to fix the chroma, but that obviously does far too much damage to the complete image.
Can you make a sample available, or 2 or 3 which show this problem? Would be interesting to look at them. But yes, different strengths for luma and chroma are possible, if really needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Seems to work fine for me.

-------

Just noticed a crash problem in v0.92.5, which happens when switching from one video file to another, or sometimes even just closing a video file. Already found the cause of the problem, stupid bug. Sorry, my bad, will fix that tomorrow in v0.92.6.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 23:03   #46351  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Here's a quick fix for the crash problem:

http://madshi.net/madVR925b.zip

New official v0.92.6 with this fix (and maybe some more changes) will come tomorrow.
Old 8th October 2017, 23:09   #46352  |  Link
ryrynz

Who's going to be the first madman to remove random noise and then add grain?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 23:12   #46353  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Who's going to be the first madman to remove random noise and then add grain?
It's actually not as mad as it might seem because:

1) encoded grain is often quite artifacty.
2) upscaled grain looks bad.
3) added grain after upscaling has no artifacts and looks high-res.

However, removing grain may also remove details. So it's probably still not a good idea overall.
Old 8th October 2017, 23:22   #46354  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Can you make a sample available, or 2 or 3 which show this problem? Would be interesting to look at them.
Sure, here's a 30 second clip from the start of an old Let's Play: https://mega.nz/#!SBlwlZ5K!msF_yjXZZ...EN_iAvkBN7KBCU (pretty much just the menu screen, here's the full playlist)

In general I've noticed that the chroma channel for Youtube videos tends to be pretty horrendous (including for higher resolution videos), I don't know if that's just the bitrate or if Youtube's re-encoding makes it worse.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 8th October 2017 at 23:27.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 23:26   #46355  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
how do you change stairs on an image. ping
thank you
sorry i can't really follow you. if you are talking about aliasing billinear adds a lot of aliasing.

@deblocking

my first issue with the deblocking is that it very fast changes images parts that are not blocky anymore and makes them very unsharp but on other images parts the blocking is still there.

i used a very blocky video file from on old computer game using SMK2 as a codec.
here an image: https://abload.de/img/winordert5uc3.png

and i wonder if debanding is run before or after deblocking.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 23:43   #46356  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Is there an easy way for me to reproduce this without requiring any actual DVB hardware?
I don't know. I don't think progDVB loads anything if you don't have tuner running, with a channel tuned. (And so far I haven't heard of a dummy tuner.)

Trying with the hotfix I could still get Potplayer hanged video open spamming.
But I noticed that the madVR OSD is still updating. Does that mean anything? (I didn't think to have OSD open before, so I didn't know how it was.)

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...Gx6d0ZfU3E1Mnc

I also noticed that madVR shows DXVA, even though I disabled HW accelerated decoding in LAV. Is that normal because of deinterlacing?
Old 9th October 2017, 00:05   #46357  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
sorry i can't really follow you. if you are talking about aliasing billinear adds a lot of aliasing.

excuse me, how did you change BILINEAR to NGU on a single image. png?
Old 9th October 2017, 00:05   #46358  |  Link
huhn

madVR is by default using DXVA chroma scaling when DXVA deinterlancing is used you can control this under trade quality for performance.
Old 9th October 2017, 00:06   #46359  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
excuse me, how did you change BILINEAR to NGU on a single image. png?
i pause the video and change the scaling algorithm.
Old 9th October 2017, 00:26   #46360  |  Link
dvd1

[QUOTE=huhn;1821256]i pause the video and change the scaling algorithm.[/QUOTE
]then if I pause is changing the scaler already changes or should I start the video again?
thank you so much

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling