Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2011, 09:48   #1  |  Link
darkside40

Replace 5.1 DTS with 5.1 AAC in MKV Container with eac3to?

Hi there,
i just started converting my BD's to MKV to store it on my NAS.
When i did my first steps some weeks ago i simply muxxed the DTS Audio into the MKV Container, but no i have found that it would be better for me to convert the DTS to AAC because of the size.

Now i simply could demux the DTS Streams, convert them with eac3to and then remux everything to MKV. But then i would have set all the MKV Settings again etc.

My question is now, is it possible to handover eac3to the whole mkv select the DTS Stream for conversion and let eac3to simply replace (or remux with the same settings) the MKV?
If it is possible how does the Commandline have to look like?
darkside40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:56   #2  |  Link
jj666

That's not possible. You can use EAC3TO to create the new audio, but still need MKVMERGE to mux it into the original file.

Cheers,

-jj-
jj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:59   #3  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

Please have a look at this post where Lord_Mulder has provided an excellent example for your needs I think.
kypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 15:06   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

What do you mean by "remux everything to MKV. But then i would have set all the MKV Settings again etc."?
mkvmerge will copy all flags, chapters etc. from a source mkv, so you would only have to set the language for the new aac audio. And as implied by jj666 you can skip the demuxing, as eac3to can use dts-in-mkv as a source.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 17:19   #5  |  Link
tebasuna51

You can try the GUI UsEac3to 0.8.1

1) Load the mkv in UsEac3to. If your DTS track input to convert is 2: DTS ...

2) 'Track Input' -> 2: DTS, 'Output format' -> m4a, 'Add' (now you can change the quality if don't want the default 0,5)

3) You can 'Add' a second audio track (only first and last audio track will be added to the mkv output)

4) 'Run and MkvMux'. First run the audio conversion, at end send the original mkv without audio, and the converted/extracted audio/s to mkvmerge.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 27th April 2011 at 19:19. Reason: new UsEac3to versión
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 22:59   #6  |  Link
darkside40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
You can try the GUI UsEac3to 0.8.1

1) Load the mkv in UsEac3to. If your DTS track input to convert is 2: DTS ...

2) 'Track Input' -> 2: DTS, 'Output format' -> m4a, 'Add' (now you can change the quality if don't want the default 0,5)

3) You can 'Add' a second audio track (only first and last audio track will be added to the mkv output)

4) 'Run and MkvMux'. First run the audio conversion, at end send the original mkv without audio, and the converted/extracted audio/s to mkvmerge.
Thanks for that, i will try that when i am at home.
darkside40 is offline   Reply With Quote