Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 15th June 2009, 08:50   #1  |  Link
comdw

Basic Blu-ray DTS eac3to question

I was following a guide on Blu-ray to MKV conversion and it stated that for DTS audio tracks, the following command format should be used:

eac3to “<drive>:\<folders>\<file name>.m2ts” <track>: “<drive>:\<folders>\audio_track<track number>.dts” -1536

and further more that Surcode was required for this step.

However, from a bit of reading about I found that I could just extract the core DTS track by using the -core option in place of -1536 in the above command. This doesn't need Surcode and the resulting track still muxes and plays fine with the movie.

I assume I'm losing out somehow by doing the latter, but what? I know I'm not getting the full original quality DTS from the core track, but is there any advantage to doing that if you are going to re-encode it to "standard" 1538 kbps DTS anyway?
comdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 09:17   #2  |  Link
dat720

I do it the same and haven't noticed any degrade in audio quality, if it works for you stick with it.
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 14:27   #3  |  Link
comdw

Thanks. I'd still like to know the difference since I'm trying learn and understand as much as possible.
Old 15th June 2009, 22:46   #4  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quote:
I know I'm not getting the full original quality DTS from the core track
Yes you are. You're getting the original DTS core bit-for-bit. There's NO reason to re-encode to the same format and bitrate.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 03:10   #5  |  Link

But it's not the same as DTS HD.
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 04:24   #6  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

The "core track" is only lossy DTS anyway. I don't mean to get sidetracked into semantics, just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 08:30   #7  |  Link
comdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
Yes you are. You're getting the original DTS core bit-for-bit. There's NO reason to re-encode to the same format and bitrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 880 View Post
But it's not the same as DTS HD.
This is kind of what I'm getting at. If you take the full DTS HD and re-encode to a new 1536kbps DTS do you end up with something similar, better or worse than the original core track?

Guess I'll keep using the core. The guide I was following may have been giving a generic step to apply for any DTS/TrueHD audio tracks.

Tags
dts, eac3to