Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 2nd May 2017, 08:16   #25901  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I think he's talking about changing the framerate but staying temporally accurate. You can change the frame rate without reencoding by only changing the internal flags (that indicate framerate) -- but (unless it is using pulldown flags and you're doing iVTC) the video will speed up or slow down and not be accurate temporally.
Hmmm... I don't quite understand the 'accurate temporarally' part. All I know is that with TSMuxer if I take a file and use the drop-down box by the video file where it says 'change the fps to' and I change that, then the 'speed' of the video file WILL indeed either slow down or speed up with reference to the audio track. I think I DO understand that what it is doing is changing the 'headers', right? In other words, it's merely telling the player to render it at such 'n' such frame rate which will either speed it up or slow it down.

So, are what you are saying is that the ACTUAL frame rate doesn't change, but you can kind of 'fool' the player into playing it faster or slower...?

I THINK you can do something similar to that with MKVMerge with the aspect ratio, right? Can't you change the 'headers' or whatever they are in the file when you remux it that will cause the player to play it in a different AR then the ACTUAL file is in? That would be GREAT if I can figure out how to do that, and I have a strong suspicion that SOMEHOW if I could do that then my OPPO would play the 1440x1080 HD 4x3 files correctly instead of stretching them across the screen. But, I've never quite figured out the secret to that. Especially when I have to render a film in a BDMV format in order for my OPPO to recognize and play the HD audio.

Also too... Isn't FLAC a good example of what you were talking about where the size is compressed but none of the original information is lost? And, it seems that I remember that AVI files can be rendered lossless, right? You get a HUGE file, but that is truly lossless, right?

Last edited by Lathe; 2nd May 2017 at 08:23.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:55   #25902  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Hmmm... I don't quite understand the 'accurate temporarally' part.
In short, space and time. Temporally accurate means something that originally took 10 seconds, plays back taking 10 seconds. That is the time portion. Spatial accuracy is what I was referring to regarding 59.94 fps vs. 29.97 fps. If the 59.94 fps video contains 59.94 unique images, that is its spatial accuracy. If you convert to 29.97 fps, you cut the spatial accuracy in half. While the time it takes hasn't changed, the number of images that show what happens during that time is reduced.
Quote:
So, are what you are saying is that the ACTUAL frame rate doesn't change, but you can kind of 'fool' the player into playing it faster or slower...?
In a nutshell, yes. That is how slo-mo works. The recording is done at a much higher frame rate and then that file is told to play back at a different frame rate.
Quote:
I THINK you can do something similar to that with MKVMerge with the aspect ratio, right? Can't you change the 'headers' or whatever they are in the file when you remux it that will cause the player to play it in a different AR then the ACTUAL file is in? That would be GREAT if I can figure out how to do that, and I have a strong suspicion that SOMEHOW if I could do that then my OPPO would play the 1440x1080 HD 4x3 files correctly instead of stretching them across the screen. But, I've never quite figured out the secret to that.
Have you tried playing with the three aspect ratio settings in mkvmerge:
Code:
--aspect-ratio <TID:f|a/b>
--aspect-ratio-factor <TID:f|a/b>
--display-dimensions <TID:width>x<height>
Run mkvmerge without any options to get the help output. You should be able to google it as well. There is a really detailed help for this program. I have a printout around here somewhere.

Oh, and you can ask in the Doom9 mkvmerge thread.
Quote:
Also too... Isn't FLAC a good example of what you were talking about where the size is compressed but none of the original information is lost?
Yes
Quote:
And, it seems that I remember that AVI files can be rendered lossless, right? You get a HUGE file, but that is truly lossless, right?
AVI is a wrapper. It is the content that could be lossless. As for AVI wrappers containing lossless codecs, I do not know.

Last edited by MrVideo; 2nd May 2017 at 10:21.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 07:26   #25903  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
In short, space and time. Temporally accurate means something that originally took 10 seconds, plays back taking 10 seconds. That is the time portion. Spatial accuracy is what I was referring to regarding 59.94 fps vs. 29.97 fps. If the 59.94 fps video contains 59.94 unique images, that is its spatial accuracy. If you convert to 29.97 fps, you cut the spatial accuracy in half. While the time it takes hasn't changed, the number of images that show what happens during that time is reduced.

In a nutshell, yes. That is how slo-mo works. The recording is done at a much higher frame rate and then that file is told to play back at a different frame rate.

Have you tried playing with the three aspect ratio settings in mkvmerge:
Code:
--aspect-ratio <TID:f|a/b>
--aspect-ratio-factor <TID:f|a/b>
--display-dimensions <TID:width>x<height>
Run mkvmerge without any options to get the help output. You should be able to google it as well. There is a really detailed help for this program. I have a printout around here somewhere.

Oh, and you can ask in the Doom9 mkvmerge thread.

Yes

AVI is a wrapper. It is the content that could be lossless. As for AVI wrappers containing lossless codecs, I do not know.
Thanks for the cmd line stuff for MKVMerge; I know it has a LOT of options, but I've never really gone through them. I'll check those out concerning the aspect ratio.

Yeah, I understood about the 59.xx Again, I don't remember WHY something rendered a file to 59.xx; it was to correct SOMETHING else, but I don't remember. But, the resulting file played just fine at 59.xx I would THINK that you would NOT want to convert it to half the frame rate and lose half the information (or do a 'blend' either...)
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:38   #25904  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Also too... Isn't FLAC a good example of what you were talking about where the size is compressed but none of the original information is lost? And, it seems that I remember that AVI files can be rendered lossless, right? You get a HUGE file, but that is truly lossless, right?
Correct, but depends on codec even for AVI. I use FLAC and sometimes APE for my CD backups as well as other sound samples instead of keeping them in "wave".
Old 20th May 2017, 22:35   #25905  |  Link
Lathe

Hey, are all you guys all right...???

Has JD introduced an insidious virus into his program that has sucked you all into his Evil world?

Old 21st May 2017, 00:05   #25906  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Evil is a mental illusion. But he has created a virus that I'm enjoying using. It is propagating my BDs. Haha. Other than that, shhhhhhh....let people sleep for a bit.
Old 21st May 2017, 13:58   #25907  |  Link
jdobbs

Has anyone else noticed some weird behavior with DGIndexNV? It seems to be crashing (or at least not running) when BD-RB tries to run it. The result is failed encodes -- and when I investigate there is no .DGI file. The issue appears to be at least partially random, as sometimes it will be ok if I re-run the job. I think it may have started about the same time that I upgraded Windows 10 to version 1703, but I'm not positive that there's a link.

Quote:
Hey, are all you guys all right...???

Has JD introduced an insidious virus into his program that has sucked you all into his Evil world?
It has been unusually quiet here, hasn't it? I guess it's because it has been so long since I've released a new version. I got a little busy with another project and haven't been giving BD-RB the attention it needs.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st May 2017 at 14:01.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 14:08   #25908  |  Link
gonca

DGIndexNV is working fine on my system with the Anniversary Update version
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 14:12   #25909  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
DGIndexNV is working fine on my system with the Anniversary Update version
Good to know. So I guess it must be something other than the update then. Maybe it's one of the changes I put in for the next release... I'm going to look at it today.
Old 21st May 2017, 14:17   #25910  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

@jdobbs No. It's still possible it's that update. Several users on the redfox forums reported issues with anydvd that were fixed after a reinstall of it. You're mixing up the Anniversary update (build 1607) with the Creators Update (build 1701, that you're using). 2 different builds. I can't test that yet as CU has yet to be pushed to my system and i'm not going to do it manually.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 14:21   #25911  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Good to know. So I guess it must be something other than the update then. Maybe it's one of the changes I put in for the next release... I'm going to look at it today.
All working fine for me too with Creators Update (1703 build 15063.296). Make sure you have the latest DGDecNV version, which you can download from DG site. If you still encounter issues, I can give you a debug build. One thing to remember, a recent change requires you to have a copy of the license.txt file together with DGDecodeNV.dll if it is not in the same directory as DGIndexNV.exe.

I'll do some testing with BDRB today.

Last edited by videoh; 21st May 2017 at 14:27.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 15:03   #25912  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
@jdobbs No. It's still possible it's that update. Several users on the redfox forums reported issues with anydvd that were fixed after a reinstall of it. You're mixing up the Anniversary update (build 1607) with the Creators Update (build 1701, that you're using). 2 different builds. I can't test that yet as CU has yet to be pushed to my system and i'm not going to do it manually.
Yeah, you're right, I was thinking "Anniversary" was 1703.
Old 21st May 2017, 16:11   #25913  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
All working fine for me too with Creators Update (1703 build 15063.296). Make sure you have the latest DGDecNV version, which you can download from DG site. If you still encounter issues, I can give you a debug build. One thing to remember, a recent change requires you to have a copy of the license.txt file together with DGDecodeNV.dll if it is not in the same directory as DGIndexNV.exe.

I'll do some testing with BDRB today.
I thought I was using the latest... but it turns out I was using v2051. I just updated to v2053 and it seems to be working on a job that I'd had problems with consistently. I'll let you know if I find anything else -- but right now it seems to be working.

Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 16:33   #25914  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Good to hear. Those earlier versions had a race issue that can account for the things you saw.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 01:48   #25915  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I also won't go Windows 10, I just..do....not...like....the Metro GUI at all and all the hidden snooping. Maybe if StarDock gets a Win7 Skin made, which I also haven't checked for in a while. Anyway, DGIndexNV 2051 is doing well with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I'll check for a new version...maybe some cool new updates?

Edit: OOhh, some nice updates for DGIndexNV. Computers: Not always possible to keep with updates, past age 25. Especially when nature and face to face connections are also more cool.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 22nd May 2017 at 03:36.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 03:03   #25916  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
maybe some cool new updates?
You could say that
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 03:59   #25917  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:

It has been unusually quiet here, hasn't it? I guess it's because it has been so long since I've released a new version. I got a little busy with another project and haven't been giving BD-RB the attention it needs.
No, no, not at all Boss... Just thought I'd shake up the crickets a bit...
Old 29th May 2017, 17:00   #25918  |  Link
Jake802

Does BD shrink a 3D Blu-Ray and still leave it 3D?
Jake802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 17:01   #25919  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake802 View Post
Yes, it does.
Old 30th May 2017, 07:56   #25920  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake802 View Post
Only if you send J Dobbs your youngest child. Then he sends you a special key to unlock this ability.

A steep price, but it does a beautiful job...