Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 18th February 2016, 11:53   #21  |  Link
asaleo

ffmpeg, virtualdub and histogram

I loaded files at postimage.org but my files are still pending.
I am however satisfied with the answers which I have received.
I will now use ffmpeg for opening mp4 files in VirtualDub
and edit values in filter "levels" to get good quality videos.
With levels I may also increase quality in video.
Since tateau plugin do not work well with Deshaker I am
happy to leave it.
Thanks to you both for your effort
Regards
asaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 10:48   #22  |  Link
asaleo

ffmpeg, virtualdub and histogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
What is this "Tateau-plugin" and where can I get it? It looks interesting.

Did you try VirtualDub's Alias Format filter, Color space=(same), Range=Limited.
This tells VirtualDub to expand the range when converting to RGB internally, without an extra levels conversion step.

Use VirtualDub's Levels filter, Show preview, Sample frame to view a histogram within VirtualDub.

How are you exporting frames - with PNG or TIFF images I assume?
I have to make a correction.
Your suggestion to use alias filter actually restored quality of "ffmpegopened mp4"
Settings: Color space: Rec 709 and Color range: Limited gave a full histogram from 1 to 255

All my mp4 files from cameras shares the same Mediainf values.
Color space YUV, Chroma subsampling 4:2:0 and Color Range: Full
Still I apparently have to use Limited Color Range in alias to get a full histogram when opening mp4 files with ffmpeg in VirtualDub
Regards
Old 7th January 2017, 17:07   #23  |  Link
sorin86

How to solve washed-up colors in processed videos (lower contrast, VirtualDub)

VirtualDub misinterprets parameters of the original video such as the Color Space and the Chroma Subsampling. Its automatic interpretation can be cancelled from command Video/Color Depth...

You will find that the "Decompression format” is set to Auto, which causes this problem. Use MediaInfo to identify the original Color Space and Chroma Subsampling of your video/camera and select that specific format from the list, or the best approximation. For example I had to use 4:2:0 planar YCbCr for my Canon compact camera videos. You can leave the Output format as it is.

Another way to repair the lower contrast is the "Alias format" filter, which you have to raise highest in the filter list, if you use more than one filter.

Both these ways will need a bit of trial. I wouldn't recommend using the "Auto levels" filter, although it may produce interesting alterations of the image.

Last edited by sorin86; 7th January 2017 at 17:07. Reason: wrong expression
sorin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 17:17   #24  |  Link
shekh

Its old story but got some continuation: https://sourceforge.net/p/virtualdub...5a4d/0b43/b010
tldr: there was a bug in ffmpeginputplugin
Old 10th January 2017, 17:38   #25  |  Link
asaleo

ffmpeg problems finaly solved! thanks sorin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin86 View Post
VirtualDub misinterprets parameters of the original video such as the Color Space and the Chroma Subsampling. Its automatic interpretation can be cancelled from command Video/Color Depth...

You will find that the "Decompression format” is set to Auto, which causes this problem. Use MediaInfo to identify the original Color Space and Chroma Subsampling of your video/camera and select that specific format from the list, or the best approximation. For example I had to use 4:2:0 planar YCbCr for my Canon compact camera videos. You can leave the Output format as it is.

Another way to repair the lower contrast is the "Alias format" filter, which you have to raise highest in the filter list, if you use more than one filter.

Both these ways will need a bit of trial. I wouldn't recommend using the "Auto levels" filter, although it may produce interesting alterations of the image.
Thanks sorin86 for guiding me in the right direction. Now I have same quality in "tateu-video" and ffmpeg-video"

Putting the alias filter first in the filter list solved one problem.

Second problem was solved when I used "Extended options" before opening video file in VirtualDub and changed import settings.
I removed "autodetect". I used: Use 709. Use full range.

With alias first in list, I chosed following settings:
Color space "Rec709" Component range: "Limited"
This settings were the only settings which gave a full histogram.

Checking with "levels" I now got a full histogram of my frame.

I then compared result from three different settings by exporting a frame from VirtualDub to a jpeg.
Tateu-image, ffmpeg image with settings as above and a ffmpeg image with shrinked histogram. (no alias-filter)
Now the tateu-image and the ffmpeg image was of same quality.
ffmpeg-image from video with shrinked histogram was darker, less light.
I tried the levels filter instead of using the alias filter for obtaining a full histogram. The result was not good. Image without ligth. Dull picture.

Conclusion:
Put alias filter first in list.
Do not use "Autodetect" in extended option. Use 709 and Full range.
Settings in alias filter should be: Color space: Rec 709
Component range: Limited.
Do not use "level filter" for repairing histogram for "ffmpeg-videos"

Thanks again for your help.
I am so satisfied for getting the right settings to obtain a good video with ffmpeg.
I have kept to the tateu- plugin as much as possible since it gave me good quality. Together with Deshaker however it lost track of frame numbers when doing Deshaker runnings on only parts of video.
Regards

Tags
ffmpeg mp4, virtualdub