Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th January 2018, 15:48   #21  |  Link
Woodstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Can you stream copy a few frames from the source mp4 and post it ?
Thank you, it was your request that brought me one step forward. I didn't want to copy the full UHD frames, so I cropped out a part which significantly shows the banding after down scaling. Surprisingly it now showed the banding without any scaling, just with cropping.

After a few tests I found that ffmpeg is innocent: The player causes the color banding! So I have to do some research and then maybe post in the Software players forum.

Just some info already here: I use PotPlayer with madVR 92.10. For unknown reasons it shows color banding if the source video is 2176x1224 or smaller, but not if it is 2240x1260 or bigger. The output video size doesn't matter. The madVR debug OSD shows the same correct values for both. According to my knowledge (MediaInfo) both test videos are identical apart from the size. Both videos were created with the same ffmpeg and x265 settings from the same UHD source. Both videos look the same in VLC, but VLC shows washed out colors as it doesn't properly support HDR.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 17:52   #22  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Are you using DXVA native? Is dithering in madvr disabled?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 21:07   #23  |  Link
Woodstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Are you using DXVA native? Is dithering in madvr disabled?
I already tried many settings, including with and without DXVA, and different dithering algorithms. They all showed the banding.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote