Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 3rd May 2018, 23:20   #27281  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
I have to say it you make me laugh
He's used that one so many times that it is old, not original or funny anymore
Unless you are talking about his capabilities
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018, 23:24   #27282  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
He's used that one so many times that it is old, not original or funny anymore
Unless you are talking about his capabilities
I think a certain someone needs a nice little trip to the woods...

Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 00:02   #27283  |  Link
gonca

That is an old one as well, get a new script writer
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 21:28   #27284  |  Link
Blurayhd

For encoding my Bluray disc I use so far my pc desktop but I wonder if I can use my laptop for this job? I mean I dont want to my laptop explode or hardware problems I have a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series with I5 7th gen and 8gb ddr4 and the hot air is disiping to the back, just for try I started some encode and can notice that encode takes several hours so I cancel it and for that I asking to you this

what do you say? can I the encode process too much for my processor, my hardware etc considering the serveral hours or what?

Thank you in advance!!
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 01:18   #27285  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
For encoding my Bluray disc I use so far my pc desktop but I wonder if I can use my laptop for this job? I mean I dont want to my laptop explode or hardware problems I have a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series with I5 7th gen and 8gb ddr4 and the hot air is disiping to the back, just for try I started some encode and can notice that encode takes several hours so I cancel it and for that I asking to you this

what do you say? can I the encode process too much for my processor, my hardware etc considering the serveral hours or what?

Thank you in advance!!
I can't imagine whey it would be an issue... lots of people use notebooks for BD encoding.
Old 7th May 2018, 05:43   #27286  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I can't imagine whey it would be an issue... lots of people use notebooks for BD encoding.
Thank you for answer me Jdobbs but you know, you said me days or weeks ago x264 takes the full load of processor (thanks for teach me about it), and I dont know if the encoding proces will be 7 hours, 14 hours you think so.

I really hope you dont mind of I wait if more people around here maybe could tell me and give me they opinion?
Old 7th May 2018, 06:51   #27287  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Dear Jdobbs please dont get me wrong I appreciate that you told me I really do, I just wish some more opinions about it

Thank you again have a nice week!!
Old 7th May 2018, 17:31   #27288  |  Link
drmih

I only use a laptop nowadays for all encoding - if it's got a GPU all the better, as you can do BD or UHD compressions in about 30 mins. Unless you seriously overclock the CPU / GPU, any pc or laptop should cope with whatever you throw at it - they are specified to have some margin (hence why you can over-clock them).
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 17:42   #27289  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:

Thank you in advance!!
Yeah you are good to go. Make sure there isn't any dust clogging the fan ports on the back though.

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 18:40   #27290  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
I only use a laptop nowadays for all encoding - if it's got a GPU all the better, as you can do BD or UHD compressions in about 30 mins. Unless you seriously overclock the CPU / GPU, any pc or laptop should cope with whatever you throw at it - they are specified to have some margin (hence why you can over-clock them).
I have to say it, please excuse me Jdobbs I know this is Bd rebuilder post but as an example I´m using for others encoding that Rebuilder still doesnt, I´m using the GPU with encodings almost maybe 1hour and half and it is ok but I dont know about if using Bd rebuilder maybe 10 hours, 14 hours I dont want hardware problems

My laptop GPU is integrated Intel HD 620 with 128gb mb.

Of course it will be amazing if BD rebuilder could have the GPU option but I think if Jdobbs not put this option yet is for something

So you think or you are saying the laptop can work full load almost 14 hours?

Thank you again!!
Old 7th May 2018, 18:42   #27291  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
Yeah you are good to go. Make sure there isn't any dust clogging the fan ports on the back though.

//LD
Same the last post, thank you Lowdead so you´re sayng I can go with full load almost 14 hours? please excuse me English is my second language and some times is hard to me to explain or tell or saying but I do m best!!, the hardware specs are:

GPU Intel Integrated HD 620 with 128mb

8gb DDR4

Processor I5 7th gen

Just for ask, there is no way to add some more memory to integrated GPU from the RAM? I read can be possible with pc Desktop but no idea with laptop

Last edited by Blurayhd; 7th May 2018 at 18:45.
Old 7th May 2018, 19:01   #27292  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

You can't add ram, as it's likely 'virtual' ram taken from the actual total ram in the laptop. However if you know how to get into the laptops BIOS and know your way around, it may potentially be possible to assign more. However, bdrb mainly uses x264/265 depending on the type of conversion you'll do. That's CPU demanding, not the built-in GPU part.

You should be fine if the cooler is up to the task. As the CPU will be under full load normally. Now, that will create heat, which the cooler will need to be capable of blowing out, do the vents need to be clear from dust (and nothing blocking them).

As to potential damage, in the old days when cpu's got too hot and cooling want to to today's standards they could indeed get damaged. Today, a CPU will shut itself off when it gets too hot to prevent that from happening.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 23:43   #27293  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
You can't add ram, as it's likely 'virtual' ram taken from the actual total ram in the laptop. However if you know how to get into the laptops BIOS and know your way around, it may potentially be possible to assign more. However, bdrb mainly uses x264/265 depending on the type of conversion you'll do. That's CPU demanding, not the built-in GPU part.

You should be fine if the cooler is up to the task. As the CPU will be under full load normally. Now, that will create heat, which the cooler will need to be capable of blowing out, do the vents need to be clear from dust (and nothing blocking them).

As to potential damage, in the old days when cpu's got too hot and cooling want to to today's standards they could indeed get damaged. Today, a CPU will shut itself off when it gets too hot to prevent that from happening.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
Thank you Ch3vr0n

Jdobbs there´s some way to add an option or button in Bd rebuilder that you can pause the encoding and continue? so we dont have to start all the encoding again...
Old 8th May 2018, 23:40   #27294  |  Link
jdobbs

You can stop at any time... but it will always have to resume at the beginning of a current pass (x264 doesn't have a way of which I'm aware to resume an encode pass). I'm not aware of a way to pause only a process. That doesn't mean it doesn't necessarily exist, only that I'm not familiar with it (if it does exist).
Old 9th May 2018, 01:33   #27295  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
That doesn't mean it doesn't necessarily exist, only that I'm not familiar with it (if it does exist).
But, if it DOESN'T exist and you DO know about it...?

Ahhhhh... then you'd have something...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 03:28   #27296  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
You can stop at any time... but it will always have to resume at the beginning of a current pass (x264 doesn't have a way of which I'm aware to resume an encode pass). I'm not aware of a way to pause only a process. That doesn't mean it doesn't necessarily exist, only that I'm not familiar with it (if it does exist).
Under Windoze I do not think you can. I have the cygwin tools installed and start my encoding via the Zshell. One is able to Ctrl-Z (stop) the script, but I do not think that the x264 executable will accept the stop. It should under Unix/Linux, but this isn't Unix/Linux, even with the cygwin tools. Windoze architecture must still be honored.

I just tried it with a 2nd pass of the x264 encoder. The script I use to do all of my encodings indeed was suspended (stopped), but the x264 encoder kept right on ticking.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 06:57   #27297  |  Link
Mediogre

Quote:
Process Explorer allows you to suspend a process. Just find the x264.exe process in its window, right-click on it and select suspend. It's worked well for me in the past.
Mediogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 08:40   #27298  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediogre View Post
Process Explorer allows you to suspend a process. Just find the x264.exe process in its window, right-click on it and select suspend. It's worked well for me in the past.
Interesting. I'll have to remember that.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 11:12   #27299  |  Link
mparade

@jdobbs

Will BD-RB have an option for chosing DGDecNV as the frameserver for UHD-BD encodings? I have a Pascal Card and latest DGDecNV now supports decoding of HEVC upto 12-bit without any issue. I have tested it and is working flawlessly.

Thanks for this amazing software.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 12:25   #27300  |  Link
mparade

Is it possible to use Full Backup mode in case of BD3D source (including menus and extras) without reencoding the video (keeping intact)? I just want to throw out unwanted audio streams, reencode the English HD track to AC3 5.1 while keeping an other AC3 5.1 track of the main movie.

Giving thanks to any answer.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote