Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 10th June 2008, 01:48   #1  |  Link
Raboo

AC3 vs AAC-HE VBR 200-250 kbps

AC3 ==> AAC-HE VBR 200-250 kbps

Is there really a big loss in this?

Cause I've ripped a few DVD movies to x264 + AAC.
Perhaps it's better to have it x264 + Original AC3 if it's a to big of a loss in the converting process.

The difference in size is for example with the Godfather Part II
AC3: 615
AAC: 384

i.e. 62% smaller in size (231 Mb).. I wonder how big of a quality drop there is, maybe it's hard to measure quality.. but let's say in a 1-10 scale or 1-100 scale?

perhaps it's not even possible to give a good answer to this question... but I had to ask cause of my intentions.. I'm trying to find the best way to "computerize" my DVD's without loosing to much quality and to much disk space, simpler said: finding a good balance between size & quality.
Raboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 02:18   #2  |  Link
tebasuna51

If you use VBR don't force to HE, let the encoder select if need Spectral Band Replication (HE) or can encode full high frequencies (LC).

"Is there really a big loss in this?"

Only you can answer your question. You can also downmix from 5.1 to stereo Dolby ProLogic II and use 128 kb/s
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 03:37   #3  |  Link
Ranguvar

I remember seeing something either here or on HydrogenAudio about AAC @ 128kb/s VBR sounding identical to DVD 448kb/s AC3 source (both 5.1).

Encode a few, each with lower and lower bitrate, mix them up, and see if you can identify them.
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 12:23   #4  |  Link
Raboo

The audiostream according to MediaInfo is:
278 Kbps, 48 KHz, 6ch, AAC v4 (LC)

But the audioprofile in StaxRip is called "AAC HE VBR 5.1 200-250 kbps" and the command is (uses BeSweet):
Code:
"%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.3 -6chnew )
So I guess the end result is LC..
But according to you guys professional opinion, should I stick with this or change to AC3?
Old 10th June 2008, 15:10   #5  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raboo View Post
The audiostream according to MediaInfo is:
278 Kbps, 48 KHz, 6ch, AAC v4 (LC)

But the audioprofile in StaxRip is called "AAC HE VBR 5.1 200-250 kbps" and the command is (uses BeSweet):
Code:
"%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.3 -6chnew )
So I guess the end result is LC..
But according to you guys professional opinion, should I stick with this or change to AC3?
The encoder command part is correct (without -aacprofile_hc or -aacprofile_lc) to let the automatic encoder select. Only the audioprofile name "AAC HE VBR 5.1..." must be corrected.

The decoder command part -azid( -c normal ) say apply Dynamic Range Compression (DRC). This option is only for low quality audio equipment (laptops, ...) and maybe is enough a -vbr 0.2 to encode this output.

My option is preserve the original audio AC3 without reencode, if I need less space -vbr 0.3 without DRC
Old 10th June 2008, 16:15   #6  |  Link
Raboo

So this line is better if I want to use AAC and save some disk space
Code:
"%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.2 -6chnew )
And if I intend to do a high quality rip I should use the existing AC3 from the DVD instead.

(btw I tried to find the switches for -bsn but didn't find any, whats the diffrence between -vbr 0.2 and -vbr 0.3)
Old 10th June 2008, 19:17   #7  |  Link
tebasuna51

Is the quality parameter for NeroAacEnc from 0 to 1 (max).
Then 0.2 is less quality than 0.3, the range to use is between 0.2-0.4 with more quality the aac may be bigger than the ac3.

Tags
aac, ac3, comparison