Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2009, 14:46   #1  |  Link
3dfiction

DVD and HD Converting

Dear Friends, i finally finished my 16min. short animation fractal film. and i want publish as much as compatible with software and hardware players.

My source file is 1280x720p 30fps uncompressed avi file with uncompressed 48k 16bit wav file. so i can convert any type of format.

some of my ideas

1) 720x480 ntsc 16:9 mpeg2 downloadable dvd format (dvd structure (vob, etc) > iso), can be download iso file and burn to dvd and watch any of dvd players.
i have here some question about bitrates, i tested on "9000K video + 448K ac3 audio" and "8000K video + 256K ac3 audio". very difficult to understand differences of this 2 bitrate. i thought for more guaranty (for old dvd players) compressing on 8000K + 256K ac3. any suggestion ?
and what about 4:3 aspect. i thought now many tv systems are 16:9 (lcd etc). may i need also create one more for 4:3 aspect ?

2) 720x480 ntsc 16:9 DivX. But which codec is more suitable i don't know well. i have DivX 7 Pro Converter (so slow), ffmpeg (mostly i used), and ffdshow with virtual dub. any ideas for divx3,4,5,6, xvid, h264 etc. for most default software (on windows, linux, apple) and hardware (divx players, ps2, ps3, and maybe wii (i read about wii can be play 720x480 with mjpeg compressor)
or just dvd format is enough ?

3) 1280x720p HD : i will convert to wmv-hd. (i'm using for that windows media encoder and result is ok) and can be play on windows and ps3. but i'm not sure for other platforms. i liked mkv but i'm not sure is suitable for most platform. or mp4 with h264 platform. and is it enough for apple, quicktime 7 (i read about accept h264 codec) or any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my bad english)

Serdar Camlica

Last edited by Guest; 25th August 2009 at 14:58. Reason: delete spam link
3dfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:36   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Use then a widespread codec

SD - MPEG-2 (all DVD players can do MPEG-2 as DVD/VOB). For 16min you can go as up as 9800kbps - the bitrate is not a problem for older DVD players, but they are more picky about the media

HD - h.264 or MPEG-2 (I know no VC-1 encoder). Be careful to read some more that not all coding options/values are supported by the hardware (b-pyramids is one).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, hd format