Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd July 2018, 18:58   #1  |  Link
ABurns

Full-featured MP4Box GUI?

I'm encoding some 480i 4:3 material to x264 with MeGUI, but I'm having a hard time with muxing. There is no way that I can find to set the aspect ratio in MeGUI's manual mux screen, so my material comes out with a 1:1 AR. I tried forcing a SAR of 10:11 in MeGUI and putting it in the stream, but the only container that respects that is M2TS, and I need it to be mp4.

So I started looking around for an MP4Box frontend that would let me set the AR, and I found YAMB. It works great on progressive material, but apparently doesn't handle interlaced material very well at all and doesn't let me insert chapters. When I mux at 29.970, the file plays at about half speed and loses sync with the audio after a few seconds, and eventually stops altogether. I thought maybe it was a bug and was seeing the fields as frames, so I tried muxing at 59.97 and that didn't work either. So I can mux in MeGUI and have chapter points and good playback with the wrong AR, or have the right AR but no playback in YAMB.

I also took a look at MyMP4BoxGui, but that's even more feature limited than MeGUI, so that's not going to work. Is there a full-featured GUI for mp4box that will let me set AR, insert chapter points, and handle interlaced material properly?
ABurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 21:50   #2  |  Link
manolito

There is another MP4Box GUI called Mp4-Tool, get it at VideoHelp:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/MP4-tool

But this one also offers only limited features. Generally I found it easier to convert my stuff to MKV first. MKVToolNix gives you all the features you need. Then use MkvToMp4 to repack it to MP4.

See this post
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...74#post1845574
for a version with updated helper tools.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 23:54   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABurns View Post
I'm encoding some 480i 4:3 material to x264 with MeGUI, but I'm having a hard time with muxing. There is no way that I can find to set the aspect ratio in MeGUI's manual mux screen, so my material comes out with a 1:1 AR. I tried forcing a SAR of 10:11 in MeGUI and putting it in the stream, but the only container that respects that is M2TS, and I need it to be mp4.
I tested MeGUI by enabling anamorphic encoding and also by forcing a SAR in the x264 encoder configuration. After loading the script and selecting MP4 as the output container, I added the job to the queue and MeGUI created a job for encoding and a second job for muxing.

From the log file, below is the command line MeGUI used for muxing after I forced 10:11 as the SAR in the encoder configuration, so it turns out there's something wrong there. I don't know why, but MeGUI insists on using 8:9 when muxing instead of 10:11, however the output shouldn't be 1:1 if MeGUI does the muxing automatically.

"C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\mp4box\mp4box.exe" -add "D:\test.264#trackID=1:fps=59.94:par=8:9:name=" -tmp "D:" -new "D:\test.mp4"

I tried forcing 64:45 for the encoder SAR and MeGUI used 64:45 when muxing the MP4.

You could always copy the command line from MeGUI's log file and run it from the command line yourself, after changing the par to whatever you want it to be.

PS. I posted about this in the MeGUI thread. I assume muxing with 8:9 instead of 10:11 is a bug, It's possibly a mixup internally when MeGUI has to choose either an mpeg4 or generic PAR.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...29#post1847029

Last edited by hello_hello; 24th July 2018 at 00:54.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 23:55   #4  |  Link
ABurns

Thanks, I will check those out. I'm not crazy about doing multiple containers like that, but it might be the only way.

So I figured out what was causing YAMB to throw up. The material was encoded BFF because the source material was DV, but when I reversed the field dominance and encoded TFF it worked fine. So that seems to be a bug in YAMB.
ABurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 04:13   #5  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABurns View Post
So I figured out what was causing YAMB to throw up. The material was encoded BFF because the source material was DV, but when I reversed the field dominance and encoded TFF it worked fine. So that seems to be a bug in YAMB.
Maybe I do not understand this right, but YAMB does NOT encode the source streams you feed to it. There is no X264.exe anywhere in the YAMB folder. All what YAMB ever does is mux the provided streams into an MP4 folder.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote