Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2008, 15:53   #1  |  Link
tominator

Subrip competition?

Hi

Is SubRip is the only software available for ripping subs from DVDs using OCR?
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 16:00   #2  |  Link
ukendt

Quote:
Hi

No. Read the posts please.
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 16:02   #3  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator View Post
Hi

DVDSubEdit & SubResync (part of VobSub), although they don't measure up to SubRip in my book.
Old 10th April 2008, 03:32   #4  |  Link
dstarfire

Subrip is the easiest and most accurate of the ones I've used. I think subtitle workshop also supports ripping, although it's less accurate due to a mostly-static character file. I've also never been able to get vobsub to work.
dstarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 10:24   #5  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
I think subtitle workshop also supports ripping, although it's less accurate due to a mostly-static character file. I've also never been able to get vobsub to work.
Subtitle Workshop can't rip the subs from DVDs. You can only work with subtitles you already have on your hard drive.
Old 16th April 2008, 03:03   #6  |  Link
dstarfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by unskinnyboy View Post
Subtitle Workshop can't rip the subs from DVDs. You can only work with subtitles you already have on your hard drive.
Okay, I must've been thinking of subedit, then.

What is it about subrip that you don't like? I get much better results with that than with anythign else, (once I've got a char matrix file built, that is.)
dstarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 09:07   #7  |  Link
tominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
What is it about subrip that you don't like? I get much better results with that than with anythign else, (once I've got a char matrix file built, that is.)
I like SubRip, but I was thinking there might be software that has even more awesomeness that I hadn't heard about.

I do have one problem with SubRip though, but I guess it's a general problem for all software of this type. The problem occurs when the two two lines of one subpic are too close together and SubRip can't divide the letters up and instead asks me to write the whole subpic by hand. Sometimes this happens for just about every other subpic in a subtitle-stream and therefore I spend a whole bunch of time getting the sub done.

If anyone has a solution for this I would declare you King and be your loyal servant for ever and ever.
Old 16th April 2008, 11:52   #8  |  Link
manono

There are ways within SubRip to sort-of "separate" the letters for better OCR, but I've never bothered to learn how to do it very well. When I have that problem and have to start typing in entire sentences, I switch to SubResynch. You have to make the IDX/SUB files first, but it seems to work better in regard to letters being too close together. For me, anyway.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 12:35   #9  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator View Post
I do have one problem with SubRip though, but I guess it's a general problem for all software of this type. The problem occurs when the two two lines of one subpic are too close together and SubRip can't divide the letters up and instead asks me to write the whole subpic by hand. Sometimes this happens for just about every other subpic in a subtitle-stream and therefore I spend a whole bunch of time getting the sub done.
Options -> Advanced OCR setup. Try a lower value for the Space Width Setup. The default is 7, try 6, then 5 etc. till you get it right. But in the rare event that the subpics are really physically connected together, then this might not help either.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:11   #10  |  Link
tominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unskinnyboy View Post
Options -> Advanced OCR setup. Try a lower value for the Space Width Setup. The default is 7, try 6, then 5 etc. till you get it right. But in the rare event that the subpics are really physically connected together, then this might not help either.
Thanks, but its not the width of the characters but rather the height of them causing my troubles. For certain fonts used in subtitles I rip letters like "j" and "g" on the top line of a subpic touch the second line forcing me to write the whole subpic by hand.

I use the Width-setting when I get words stuck together or pulled apart though.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:58   #11  |  Link
talen9

In the same configuration dialog referred before by unskynnyboy, you can try tweaking the values in the upper left corner ("Line setup") ... try setting "Min. inter line Height" to 0 and/or incrementing the "Max. line height" one.

I'm not sure about the meaning of the first option though ("Min. line exploration height")
talen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:38   #12  |  Link
Tappen

There's also my own program SubExtractor: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162633 http://subextractor.codeplex.com/
Tappen is offline   Reply With Quote