Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st July 2015, 22:29   #32321  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Working here, watching right now...

Win10Pro, 15.7.1, NNEDI32, 720x352 encode => 1080P HDTV
Did you do the recent upgrade or are you one of the ones that have been using Windows 10 for a few months already?
Old 31st July 2015, 22:40   #32322  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Did you do the recent upgrade or are you one of the ones that have been using Windows 10 for a few months already?
I just upgraded the other day on this tester machine, it's a madVR playback machine and also Linux dev box (dual-boot w/openSUSE). Went from Win7Ult to Win10Pro using the ISO. I had to reinstall jRiver and there is no NFS client, which is not a biggee.

I notice that FSE/Windowed mode switch in madVR is faster, but in jRiver, it seems to switch a few times unnecessarily compared to MPC-HC, not sure really.

I did use DDU to remove the old Win7 AMD driver and then installed 15.7.1 after the Win10 install was completed. No issues.

Only thing so far is no NFS client for Windows... ;(
Old 31st July 2015, 22:56   #32323  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
If the GPU of your signature applies, this doesn't have to mean much. That extension has not been removed with the newest Geforce drivers for Fermi GPUs either.
r9 270 with 15.7.1 has working nnedi3 and intel has the extension too in there windows 10 driver.

so directx 9 <-> interop simply works under windows 10.
i don't know why they removed it but windows 10 supports directx 9 <-> openCL interop if they like or not.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 03:24   #32324  |  Link
zvans18

extremely minor, but can a scroll bar be added to the profile auto select rules section? i have quite a few and i have to use the arrow keys to navigate instead of mouse wheel
zvans18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 08:34   #32325  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Thank you for the in-depth sharpness comparisons everyone.
I had a look over everything posted over the last day or two, and did some testing of my own.

My concern is that most of the test images that people are using as a reference are already over-sharpened, containing pre-existing ringing artifacts and aliasing.
So in order to match the source image, you end up using overly sharp post-processing, which seems to be introducing a lot of artifacts around high-contrast edges.

I would focus more on good Blu-ray sourced images downscaled 50% and trying to match the original sharpness, than using photographs or content from what appears to be low-quality or re-compressed sources, if the goal is restoration rather than enhancement.
I do also wonder if people are checking the results on small PC monitors, or their tv/projection setups.
In what testing I have been able to do, SuperRes seems to be introducing aliaising and particularly ugly high-frequency ringing at all strengths.
Even with a strength of 1 and radius of 1.00 it's still adding aliasing - whether that is real-world images, or test patterns.
Of course if you're combining that with a scaler that already suffers from aliasing (basically anything other than Jinc or image doubling) perhaps the additional aliasing is not that noticeable?

I finally got around to trying out Super-XBR too, which seems to add a lot of low-frequency ringing with sharpness set above 25 - which you may not notice if you're looking at a poor quality source that already has ringing artifacts, rather than a good Blu-ray disc.
Combining Super-XBR with sharpening to achieve similar results to 16-neuron NNEDI3 ended up with higher render times and worse image quality than just using NNEDI3.

Here's one of the images that I was testing with which seemed to show aliasing quite well:I'm not really happy with how that looks using any of the sharpening options, or scaling other than NNEDI3.
But perhaps I haven't spent enough time with the new options, I really haven't been able to do much testing with anything that's been introduced in the last couple of months at all.
I have to agree with this post. Here is an example from a 16 Mbps 720p MPEG2 ESPN recording. It was upscaled to 1080p with B75AR chroma+Lanczos3AR image+NNEDI3 32 neurons doubling+CR AR LL downscale.

Original image @ 720p | No sharpen | SuperRes 1.0 | SuperRes 4.0

Look at the text. No sharpening looks best to me. SuperRes at 1.0 strength starts to alias. 4.0 looks downright comical.

I'm using the latest version of madVR.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 08:58   #32326  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Ok . It's Direct3D 11 that's causing the problem. Newest driver from AMD on Windows 10 PRO x64

No problem in windowed mode.

EDIT: Have to mention, no problem with win 7 on the same machine.
Quote:
Same issue here on Win10Pro/CCC15.7.1, but I think it's cosmetic because I've watched 2 complete movies (almost five hours) and had only one dropped frame in each and that was at playback startup.

fwiw, in Windowed mode, it would drop a frame about every 3 minutes even though queue stats were "full" reported.
I don't think so. Look what happens when i move the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 11:12   #32327  |  Link
x7007

So everyone posted on nvidia forum and nvidia bug site about the 353.50+ driver that doesn't work with NNEDI3 . and the 353.49 not working with CUVID ?

I hope next driver they will fix it.

Last edited by x7007; 1st August 2015 at 11:15.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 13:41   #32328  |  Link
Soul

Hi, Is there any option to stop madvr from showing subtitle tracks? I want to set the default to "No subtitles" but it always pick English subtitle as the default and force it during playback.

Thanks
Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 13:51   #32329  |  Link
sneaker_ger

There is no madvr option for subtitle track selection. You have to do this in your player or splitter.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 15:22   #32330  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
I just upgraded the other day on this tester machine, it's a madVR playback machine and also Linux dev box (dual-boot w/openSUSE). Went from Win7Ult to Win10Pro using the ISO. I had to reinstall jRiver and there is no NFS client, which is not a biggee.

I notice that FSE/Windowed mode switch in madVR is faster, but in jRiver, it seems to switch a few times unnecessarily compared to MPC-HC, not sure really.

I did use DDU to remove the old Win7 AMD driver and then installed 15.7.1 after the Win10 install was completed. No issues.

Only thing so far is no NFS client for Windows... ;(
I'm going to try to delete my madVR directory and start from scratch later on. Let's see if that fixes my Nnedi3 issues and exceedingly long delayed playback on Windows 10.
Old 1st August 2015, 15:27   #32331  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
So everyone posted on nvidia forum and nvidia bug site about the 353.50+ driver that doesn't work with NNEDI3 . and the 353.49 not working with CUVID ?

I hope next driver they will fix it.
Yeah. CUVID is far less important than NNEDI3. CUVID puts your GPU in highest power state, which is unnecessary and only forces more GPU cycles. In addition, CUVID causes artifacts in some cases. It does improve image quality in any way.

Simply select DXVA2 (Copy-Back) in LAV Video decoder/filter and you'll get better performance and no artifacts.
Old 1st August 2015, 15:28   #32332  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
I'm going to try to delete my madVR directory and start from scratch later on. Let's see if that fixes my Nnedi3 issues and exceedingly long delayed playback on Windows 10.
If you want a total reset you also need to delete the madvr keys from the registry. (Running "restore default settings.bat" should do that for you)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 17:05   #32333  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Yeah. CUVID is far less important than NNEDI3. CUVID puts your GPU in highest power state, which is unnecessary and only forces more GPU cycles. In addition, CUVID causes artifacts in some cases. It does improve image quality in any way.

Simply select DXVA2 (Copy-Back) in LAV Video decoder/filter and you'll get better performance and no artifacts.

Ye but stupid windows 10 always auto update the driver and it doesn't let me hide it.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 17:29   #32334  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Ye but stupid windows 10 always auto update the driver and it doesn't let me hide it.
See How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10.

This thread is really getting dominated by Windows 10 talk though. I think there's probably enough for madshi to work through already, so let's try to get back on track with upscaling refinement feedback.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 17:51   #32335  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
If you want a total reset you also need to delete the madvr keys from the registry. (Running "restore default settings.bat" should do that for you)
Thanks for reminding me.
Old 1st August 2015, 18:05   #32336  |  Link
XRyche

Well that didn't change anything. Still getting inordinately long wait times for an image to show up. Still getting a brownish outline (almost like the emboss shader from MPC-HC) of everything in a video when in FS/FSE when image doubling with Nnedi3. When I take a screenshot using F5, the screenshot looks perfectly normal :shrugs: .
Old 1st August 2015, 18:52   #32337  |  Link
Pantara

@madshi

Hi,
I might have found a bug in madVR.I am using madVR v0.88.21 in combination with the 64-bit RC of MPC-HC+CCCP. Since some time (I first noticed it with v0.88.14) the video often pauses when you leave the fullscreen mode. I already checked the settings of madVR, as well as MPC but wasn't able to find a checkbox or anything similar (The option "delay playback start until render queue is full" is also inactive). The problem didn't occur with older versions of madVR (and the same version of MPC). It was already there in Windows 8.1 and now continues to occur since I upgraded to Windows 10. It also doesn't happen if you select a renderer other than madVR.
This is my setup:

MPC-HC (CCCP Build, 64-bit)
---------------------------

Build information:
Version: 1.7.8.162 (d12a1c4) (blitzkrieg) (master@46ce9d6)
Compiler: MSVC 2013 Update 4
Build date: May 4 2015 00:21:53

LAV Filters:
LAV Splitter: 0.65.0.8
LAV Video: 0.65.0.8
LAV Audio: 0.65.0.8
FFmpeg compiler: MinGW-w64 GCC 4.9.2

Operating system:
Name: Windows NT 10.0 (build 10240)
Version: 10.0 (64-bit)

Hardware:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (driver version: 10.18.13.5362)

EDIT:
I turned on debug OSD and it's always printing "Resetting Direct3D device failed (8876086c)" when you leave the fullscreen mode and the video stops.
There's also sometimes a "dxva proccessing failed" message (when you open up a file, etc.)

Last edited by Pantara; 3rd August 2015 at 02:39.
Pantara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 19:56   #32338  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
My render, upload and present queue doesn't get filled (1-3/16) when using 1080p60 no problem if i choose 1080p23 (FSE) in win 10 using AMD card no problem in windowed mode.
Quote:
Same issue here on Win10Pro/CCC15.7.1, but I think it's cosmetic because I've watched 2 complete movies (almost five hours) and had only one dropped frame in each and that was at playback startup.

fwiw, in Windowed mode, it would drop a frame about every 3 minutes even though queue stats were "full" reported.
I have the same problem on a new laptop with AMD graphics (13.12 driver) and Windows 8.1 64 bit. My TV supports Full HD 23p, 24p, 50p, 59p and 60p refresh rates. When using D3D11 exclusive 10 bit mode, render queue and present queue don’t get filled if the selected refresh rate is 24p or 60p. The queues fill fine with other supported refresh rates though.

Although queues don’t get filled with 24p and 60p refresh rate, there are no reported or perceptible dropped frames. The queues fill properly in windowed mode or D3D9 output.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 21:32   #32339  |  Link
Warner306

For what it's worth, NNEDI3 is still working for me with Windows 10 Nvidia drivers and a GTS 450.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 23:20   #32340  |  Link
huhn

please name the drivers version it's know to work up to driver version 353.49.

AFAIK fermi didn't have an update proper wddm 2.0 driver yet
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling