Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd October 2011, 13:02   #9961  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeto View Post
It took me a while to find this,

1. Stop AMD external event service,
2. disable GPU scaling
3. change Pixel setting settings,
4. reboot and
5. enable service
thxz. What just worked for me:

- Change Pixel settings and reboot within 30 seconds. After reboot the Pixel setting does not switch back anymore.
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:43   #9962  |  Link
JarrettH

What does 'run presentation in a separate thread' and 'limit rendering times to avoid glitches' do exactly?

I get quite a lot of presentation glitches while playing back DVDs. Every 5 min or so the motion will be noticeably choppy for a few seconds. Of those two options, the latter reduced the amount of glitches much more.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 02:09   #9963  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
What does 'run presentation in a separate thread' and 'limit rendering times to avoid glitches' do exactly?

I get quite a lot of presentation glitches while playing back DVDs. Every 5 min or so the motion will be noticeably choppy for a few seconds. Of those two options, the latter reduced the amount of glitches much more.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ter_science%29

Edit: Just some settings you might want to try messing around with.. they helped with playback for me.

I've noticed personally that in rendering -> Exclusive mode settings unchecking delay switch to exclusive mode and increasing the amount for 'how many video frames shall be presented in advance' helps with playback immensely, so I'd recommend messing around with those a bit to see what works better for you.

In rendering -> windowed mode settings increasing 'how many backbuffers shall be used' may also help, but if I remember correctly I only did it by one so try changing that and see how it works out.

I also noticed that for the 'when and how shall the GPU be flushed:' changing flush to 'flush & wait (sleep)' in the 2nd drop down list in windowed mode settings and exclusive mode settings helps.

Last edited by golagoda; 4th October 2011 at 02:27.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 02:34   #9964  |  Link
JarrettH

Thanks for the tips golagoda

Do you mean to change windowed and exclusive to:

flush & wait (sleep)
flush & wait (sleep)
don't flush
don't flush

By default "...after intermediate render steps" is Flush
Old 4th October 2011, 04:18   #9965  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Thanks for the tips golagoda

Do you mean to change windowed and exclusive to:

flush & wait (sleep)
flush & wait (sleep)
don't flush
don't flush

By default "...after intermediate render steps" is Flush
I have flush for the first one.. I probably should have tried explaining it a bit better but I've always failed at writing so here are screenshots of my settings that work extremely well for me at least, and I'm on a crappy computer.

General settings - http://i.imgur.com/wVV62.jpg (The 'delay playback until render queue is full' setting would probably help you more if it was enabled but I have it disabled.)

Exclusive mode - http://i.imgur.com/pN5f9.jpg ( Having 'present several frames in advance' set to disabled would also probably help you more if it was disabled but I have it enabled.)

Windowed mode - http://i.imgur.com/DcMaJ.jpg

I also use LAV CUVID (Which has since been merged into LAVFilters) since I have a Nvidia GPU which helps immensely, so if you aren't using that already and have a Nvidia GPU definitely use that.

Last edited by golagoda; 4th October 2011 at 04:23.
Old 4th October 2011, 06:26   #9966  |  Link
JarrettH

What I've done...

Backbuffers 3 --> 4

Frames presented in advance 4 --> 6

enabled: 'limit rendering times to avoid glitches'

This seems to have eliminated 95% of presentation glitches.
Why is enabling that certain option not recommended? I have to wonder

Using a GT240 (GDDR5) fyi

Last edited by JarrettH; 4th October 2011 at 20:15.
Old 4th October 2011, 17:34   #9967  |  Link

Quote:
What I've done...

Backbuffers 3 --> 4

Frames presented in advance 4 --> 6

enabled: 'limit redering times to avoid glitches'

This seems to have eliminated 95% of presentation glitches.
Why is enabling that certain option not recommended? I have to wonder

Using a GT240 (GDDR5) fyi
As far as I know, no-one has reported that option causing problems with playback, at least on Nvidia systems. (don't know that anyone with AMD has tried it)

I posted the question about whether it should be enabled by default before, but I think it got overlooked.

Because I have plenty of RAM, I just set the maximum number of buffers available, and that option combined with the DX11 rendering path fixed all the presentation glitches for me.

I used to have to mess around with the flush settings on my old build (Nvidia 9400) to get smooth performance, but since the exclusive mode was added (and a few builds later) the default settings seem to work best. Before the "limit rendering times" option was added, the flush settings did nothing to fix the presentation glitches with my GTX570.

Last edited by 6233638; 4th October 2011 at 17:36.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 17:49   #9968  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I actually get glitches if i use 16 buffers, 12 seems to be the sweet spot for me right now.
Combined with "use a separate device for presentation" (but not DX11), flushing: dont/flush/flush/dont and "limit rendering times to avoid glitches", its pretty much perfect now.

Default settings used to glitch on non-matched refresh rates, be it 25p at 50Hz, or even 24p at 60Hz, but these are perfect.

The only problem i have right now is that after playing some files consecutively without closign the player, exclusive mode fails. Restarting the player fixes it ...

This is on a GTS450

Last edited by nevcairiel; 4th October 2011 at 17:52.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 18:04   #9969  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'll have to try that, Nev. I'm still getting some glitches with my settings on my 450. Sounds like you found the "magic".
Old 4th October 2011, 19:30   #9970  |  Link
Andy o

I'm on a GTX460 768MB, with 258 drivers Win 7-64. I have to enable "limit rendering times" and "overshoot max frame latency" to avoid glitches, but if I enable "run presentation on a separate thread", I get a lot of dropped frames after seeking sometimes. Luckily the other two settings are sufficient to avoid glitches for most content. On some content though (it was a 30p file played at 60Hz) my present queue drops slowly and after that I still had periodic glitches, until I enabled D3D11 and the present queue stays full then.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 19:33   #9971  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

D3D11 works for playback for me as well, however its somewhat unusable because exiting FSE doesnt re-draw the desktop or the player properly.

I've had the queues dropping low problem as well with some settings, but the current setup is working just nice.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:19   #9972  |  Link
dansrfe

madshi needs to come back and read the thread...way too much has happened.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 22:38   #9973  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Im sure hes reading, but just not answering or doing any more than making notes
Old 5th October 2011, 05:20   #9974  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post

The only problem i have right now is that after playing some files consecutively without closign the player, exclusive mode fails. Restarting the player fixes it ...
I have the exact same thing... it also seems to always happen after playing a SD AVI and then switching to a 720p MKV. But like you it also happens after 3 or more 720p MKV's are played back to back to back...

QB
Old 5th October 2011, 06:38   #9975  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
madshi needs to come back and read the thread...way too much has happened.
He's active in other threads, so it's more than likely as Thunderbolt has suggested.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 07:18   #9976  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
He's active in other threads, so it's more than likely as Thunderbolt has suggested.
Active?? 7 posts in September and the last one 13 days ago. I don't think that's active. But he has a life and things need to get done. I'm just looking forward to when he comes back. He and nev rock

QB
Old 5th October 2011, 08:23   #9977  |  Link
ryrynz

He's certainly posting in other threads more than here and he's not dead so that counts as active to me
Perhaps your interpretation of active is a lot more active than mine, but when you've seen projects go months or years without developer input your view on what's active or not changes a lot!
Anyway best not to let this thread degenerate into chaos due to a few measly weeks without a post from Madshi, let us remain calm :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
I'm just looking forward to when he comes back. He and nev rock QB
Agreed, they've really improved the HTPC experience a lot, I would be happy to pay for their software.

Last edited by ryrynz; 5th October 2011 at 08:27.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 11:18   #9978  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I actually get glitches if i use 16 buffers, 12 seems to be the sweet spot for me right now.
Combined with "use a separate device for presentation" (but not DX11), flushing: dont/flush/flush/dont and "limit rendering times to avoid glitches", its pretty much perfect now.

Default settings used to glitch on non-matched refresh rates, be it 25p at 50Hz, or even 24p at 60Hz, but these are perfect.

This is on a GTS450
+1 - what is the story of Exclusive Mode fail.... I can not seem to eliminate it. That said I also find that enabling "delay playback start until render queue is full" helps when it falls back to windowed mode.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 12:43   #9979  |  Link
golagoda

Hmm... while we're somewhat on the topic of settings what scaling algorithms do you all use for madVR?

I'm currently trying out 'SoftCubic' with softness set to 60 for each option, I honestly don't notice that much difference between different scaling algorithms and haven't tested it out too much but there's always room for improvement and testing out other settings has helped me find ways to improve playback greatly, for example the settings nev said earlier work amazingly
Old 5th October 2011, 12:54   #9980  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I use Lanczos 4-taps for both Luma variants, and SoftCubic 60 for Chroma.
Lanczos produces a bit sharper image when watching SD content, which i've been doing alot lately.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling