Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th April 2019, 16:35   #55821  |  Link
huhn

if you use an HDR-SDR 3D LUT it is only used for HDR nothing else is corrected and it replaces madVR tonemapping.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 17:05   #55822  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Do I still get calibrated picture with hdr to sdr 3dlut or it's just for tone mapping?
This is not what you want.

Set your tv its widest gamut SDR mode.

Use that with madvr's dynamic tonemapping.

HDR only specifies the data spec, the actual Dynamic range in both HDR / SDR on the SAME tv is more/less the same.
Old 19th April 2019, 18:09   #55823  |  Link
Damien147

A bit confused.I have a BT.709 display and I am like this.
Is it suggested to create a gamma 2.2 BT.2020 3dlut(removing hdr to sdr 3dlut obviously) and put it in the calibration tab leaving madvr to do the tone mapping or am I doing the same thing?

Last edited by Damien147; 19th April 2019 at 18:13.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 18:18   #55824  |  Link
Alexkral

Here's a very interesting conversation about 3DLUTs in madVR.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55172290
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 19:16   #55825  |  Link
toki

this is being so finicky. I got it to 59%, I tinkered around checking different movies, that's all, just checking different movies, then I stop it for a second and when I go to check it again it's back up to 90%. I didn't even do anything with it.

Edit: I checked task manager and it's bringing up like 4 instances of madvrcontrolpanel. I click all but one and it goes back down in gpu usage.

Last edited by toki; 19th April 2019 at 20:07.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 20:26   #55826  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Is it suggested to create a gamma 2.2 BT.2020 3dlut(removing hdr to sdr 3dlut obviously) and put it in the calibration tab leaving madvr to do the tone mapping or am I doing the same thing?

NO,

Put tv in its Widest gamut mode, @ whatever brightness you like, or the highest.

Then, run dispcal 3d lut for SDR, Source DCI-P3, 2.2gamma, relative, 98% black output offset. absolute colorimetric w/ white point scaling

Leave black point correction alone unless using plasma/oled/CRT.

Put that into the dci-p3 slot in madvr calibrations, under the SDR section.

In HDR section, set to use pixel shader for dynamic, And it will just use that lut after tonemapping..

It is recommended you watch hdr tonemapped movies in near pitch black conditions, room around 5-10cd. Because the relative lut makes it very dark.

If you use rec 1886 lut which is absolute tone, it will brighten black detail for a bright room, However it won't look very HDR-y because the contrast seems gone.

I also don't recommend using 100% black output offset, because it's just a little too much crush. I've compared dark images extensively against my CRT, 98% brings out just the right amount of detail, without eating into the contrast.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 19th April 2019 at 20:37.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 20:27   #55827  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by toki View Post
this is being so finicky. I got it to 59%, I tinkered around checking different movies, that's all, just checking different movies, then I stop it for a second and when I go to check it again it's back up to 90%. I didn't even do anything with it.

Edit: I checked task manager and it's bringing up like 4 instances of madvrcontrolpanel. I click all but one and it goes back down in gpu usage.
It shouldn't change that much unless your gpu was clocking up and down.

What is your entire movie chain detailed hardware spec and software .
Old 19th April 2019, 20:34   #55828  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:

You should check madVR's OSD to see what is different when you see lower/higher GPU usage. You do have your "Power management mode" set to adaptive in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Also, "madvrcontrolpanel"? Do you mean "mad* home cinema control"? I only ever see one of those, what is bringing them up?
Old 19th April 2019, 20:35   #55829  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
that setup is fine if you don't want to use madVR tonemapping but displaycals and if your device is BT 709.
Old 19th April 2019, 20:55   #55830  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
Here's a very interesting conversation about 3DLUTs in madVR.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55172290
HAHAHA, reading it now, FLo FLo (fhoech) unleashed Fury upon incompetant user iSeries
Old 19th April 2019, 21:02   #55831  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that setup is fine if you don't want to use madVR tonemapping but displaycals and if your device is BT 709.
The whole point is to have calibrated sdr,hdr + what's needed for hdr to be displayed on bt.709 display.To conclude shall I stay with how I am or gamma 2.2 bt.2020 in calibration tab is better for me?

Last edited by Damien147; 19th April 2019 at 21:06.
Old 19th April 2019, 21:03   #55832  |  Link
toki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You should check madVR's OSD to see what is different when you see lower/higher GPU usage. You do have your "Power management mode" set to adaptive in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Also, "madvrcontrolpanel"? Do you mean "mad* home cinema control"? I only ever see one of those, what is bringing them up?
It was home cinema control. I'm not sure what was bringing them up. I have madVR preferred in mpc-hc. Another thing that is bothering now is the HDR and calibration. It looks cloudy to me and I really want to calibrate it, but 1: I'm not exactly sure how and 2: I'm worried that it's going to ruin the tone mapping. I would really just like madVR takeover and do it. If anyone could guide me on how to calibrate HDR, that would be great. I've been reading not to mess with brightness/contrast/backlight, but it really needs it.
Old 19th April 2019, 21:12   #55833  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
The whole point is to have calibrated sdr,hdr + what's needed for hdr to be displayed on bt.709 display.To conclude shall I stay with how I am or gamma 2.2 bt.2020 in calibration tab is better for me?
it just depends if you want madVR tone mapping or not.
madVR tonemapping is nearly for sure better but cost a lot of performance.

if you are using madVR tone mapping things get more complicated.
@tp4tissue
can you stop things like this please...
Old 19th April 2019, 21:50   #55834  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
It was home cinema control. I'm not sure what was bringing them up. I have madVR preferred in mpc-hc. Another thing that is bothering now is the HDR and calibration. It looks cloudy to me and I really want to calibrate it, but 1: I'm not exactly sure how and 2: I'm worried that it's going to ruin the tone mapping. I would really just like madVR takeover and do it. If anyone could guide me on how to calibrate HDR, that would be great. I've been reading not to mess with brightness/contrast/backlight, but it really needs it.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...28#post1865828
Old 19th April 2019, 21:59   #55835  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it just depends if you want madVR tone mapping or not.
madVR tonemapping is nearly for sure better but cost a lot of performance.

if you are using madVR tone mapping things get more complicated.
@tp4tissue
can you stop things like this please...
I don't have a particular preference.Are both solutions giving the same result with difference in tone mapping quality or are there more benefits with madvr tone mapping(and the gamma 2.2 bt.2020 in calibration tab)?
I am looking for what to do to achieve calibrated picture to conclude + what's needed for hdr to be displayed on a bt.709 display.
Old 19th April 2019, 22:02   #55836  |  Link
toki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
thnak you very much
Old 19th April 2019, 22:17   #55837  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I don't have a particular preference.Are both solutions giving the same result with difference in tone mapping quality or are there more benefits with madvr tone mapping(and the gamma 2.2 bt.2020 in calibration tab)?
I am looking for what to do to achieve calibrated picture to conclude + what's needed for hdr to be displayed on a bt.709 display.
both give you a calibrated image but the results will be different there isn't a clear spec for HDR-> SDR conversation.
Old 19th April 2019, 22:26   #55838  |  Link
Damien147

Ok,then I am staying with how I am I guess.Thank you and all.
Old 19th April 2019, 23:35   #55839  |  Link
Alexkral

Still I think there's a reasonable doubt about possible clipping when the source profile of the 3DLUT is BT.2020. This is from madshi 11-24-2017:

Quote:
Gamut:

madVR doesn't convert the gamut, unless the 3DLUT (SDR or HDR, doesn't matter) expects a different gamut than the source provides. E.g. if your 3DLUT is BT.2020 and the video is also BT.2020 then madVR doesn't do any gamut processing. However, if your 3DLUT was made for BT.709 videos, but the video is BT.2020, then madVR will convert gamut from BT.2020 to BT.709. Basically madVR makes sure that the 3DLUT receives the pixels in the format it expects.
Pixel shader math is done in ICtCp and when the result is converted to RGB, some colors may fall out of gamut. When madVR converts the gamut, it maps those colors back in gamut, but in this case it could simply clip them, or let the 3DLUT clip them, which would make them look oversaturated.

I guess it maps them back in gamut anyway, but maybe using a source DCI-P3 3DLUT is safer.
Old 20th April 2019, 00:12   #55840  |  Link
huhn

very easy to test but i don't see a reason to do gamut mapping twice.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling