Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th October 2011, 15:01   #10161  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sToN3d View Post
Thanks.

It looks like the new rendering path from v0.50 seems to be responsible for the increased CPU load on my system:

Code:
Renderer:		CPU load when paused:

madVR
 v0.49			~1-2%
 v0.50 (old path)	~1-2%
 v0.50 (new path)	~6-7%
 v0.74			~6-7%
EVR			~1%
EVR CP			~5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sToN3d View Post
Yeah, that seems kinda odd. Though, I just tested it again and it's 100% reproducible. In windowed mode with 'use old rendering path' enabled and everything else at default the CPU load is back to 'normal' with 1-2% when paused. Another strange thing is that when I disable the exclusive mode completely the load goes up to 6-7% again.
I've tried, but I can't get it reproduced here...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 15:03   #10162  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Here are logs with and without trying to go into exclusive mode:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3u985k75va19k
I only see one log in there?
Old 18th October 2011, 15:03   #10163  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I posted them here before:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...93#post1530093

Its running with present queue 7-8/12 on matching material (24@24), with around 5-10/12(iirc, these could be wrong) on integer multiplies (25@50), and a somewhat lowish 3-4/12 on odd setups (24@60), but it doesn't drop a frame or glitch once.

Only the "Exclusive Mode Failed" problem left after watching multiple files .. i should probably create a log for that.
Ah, right, ok, I remember that post. That's using the "old rendering path" if I'm not mistaken. (The use a separate device... setting uses the old path I believe). Interesting. I just reset madVR back to defaults and reset it up the way I like it and it's working now. Wondering if something got corrupt. Guess I'll stop touching it now that it's working again.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:06   #10164  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
That's using the "old rendering path" if I'm not mistaken. (The use a separate device... setting uses the old path I believe).
No. The option "Present several frames in advance" toggles the old path. If its on, its the new path. The OSD also lets you know about that.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:12   #10165  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
No. The option "Present several frames in advance" toggles the old path. If its on, its the new path. The OSD also lets you know about that.
Ah, ok. Very nice. Maybe I'll give that a try and see what happens. I didn't get a chance to the last time you posted it and I meant to. I'll back up my current settings first.

Brilliant. I just tested your settings. Flawless across the board. Thank you for that!

Last edited by SamuriHL; 18th October 2011 at 15:20.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 15:14   #10166  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You're probably using an NVidia card? Try activating the option "limit rendering times to avoid glitches". If that doesn't help, try also activating the DX11 presentation mode. The presentation glitches are a known problem with the newer NVidia drivers. I'm pretty sure it's a driver bug.
FWIW, I don't get ANY glitches (except at startup) with Nvidia drivers 280 and 285 on either a GTX465 or GTX 560.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 15:16   #10167  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2222 View Post
i noticed a "strange" problem on my new media box, during playback in windowed/fullscreen windowed mode and even during pausing a file the CPU/GPU is still active at around 35%/20%?
I did some tests and even reinstalled windows and found one combination of setting that "fixes" this behavior, resulting in 0% CPU/GPU usage. Also the CPU usage in general is higher in all the "problematic" cases.

Here are my setting on Win7, madVR 0.74, MPC-HC (1.5.3.3734). I also tested other players, with the same result. Also process explorer shows the CPU usage in the "madvr.ax" process.

The first case is the "fixed" version which solves this problem only in this particular setting combination. Note how the "exclusive" mode changes directly also influences the windowed mode playback.

FIXED 1:
general: "enable automatic exclusive fullscreen mode" = ON
exclusive: "present several frames in advance" = OFF

FAIL 1:
general: "enable automatic exclusive fullscreen mode" = ON
exclusive: "present several frames in advance" = ON

FAIL 2:
general: "enable automatic exclusive fullscreen mode" = OFF
exclusive: "present several frames in advance" = ON/OFF

NOTE: All other settings scaling, presentation, thread, number backbuffers ... don't influence the outcome. I did not test all the sync options (flush, wait) and did leave those at default values.

Test-System Spec:
Win7 32bit (all updates + SP1)
Pentium T630 CPU + H67 chipset (Intel HD GPU not used, no driver installed)
nVidia GT 520 GPU (280.26 drivers)

I also tried to duplicate this problem on my main Core2Duo 775 system under WinXP and Win7, but could not do so.

In general all the "fail" settings also result in 30% higher additional cpu usage during playback, compared to the "fixed" case. As a side-note the playback is "smooth" in all tested cases, without any dropped frames. CPU and GPU usage is never above 70% in total.
This is exactly the same thing sToN3d reported, too. Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to reproduce it. Neither on my XP/AMD machine, nor on my win7/NVidia HTPC...
Old 18th October 2011, 15:17   #10168  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
FWIW, I don't get ANY glitches (except at startup) with Nvidia drivers 280 and 285 on either a GTX465 or GTX 560.
The glitches usually only occur when playing back movies at a non 1:1 frame rate / refresh rate match. E.g. when playing 25fps movies @ 50Hz, or when playing 24fps movies @ 60Hz.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:19   #10169  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I can answer that, since i have the problem as well.
If i'm in DX11 FSE mode, and i try to exit it via hotkey to window mode (i have it bound to F, but MPC-HCs default double-clicking works as well), the video appears to stop rendering, and you see the last frame from DX11-FSE mode. If you then press your hotkey again, everything resumes. Fun fact: if you right-click first to bring up the context menu (and exit FSE), and then double-click/hotkey, it works fine.

It would appear that the DX11-FSE image for some reason does not get cleared off the screen properly, and still sits there, covering the desktop and the player itself.

Its not a important issue for me anymore, as i found some good settings that fix the glitches without DX11 mode.
Ok, thanks, I'll put that on my to do list. Might not fit into the next build, though.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:26   #10170  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Can you describe in more detail what happens exactly? E.g. you say that switching sometimes doesn't work. What happens exactly in that situation? Also you're saying you want madVR to redraw the desktop. What does that mean exactly?
@madshi (and FYI nevcairiel):
I´ve just tested it again with the newest release of PotPlayer after I realized that MPC-HC (1.5.2.3456) worked flawless. After I´ve installed the update now everything works as expected, the switching in the D3D11 path works just fine, even after doing it 10-12 times in a row. It´s weird though, since I´m pretty sure that at some point MPC-HC didn´t work and I´m still using the same drivers and settings for everything. I always file bug reports only after having them verified with at least 2 players.

Thanks for your support madshi, nice to see you back in action.

@nevcairiel:
Care to share your settings to prevent screen glitches without having to use the D3D11 path? I have an nvidia card, too, so they will probably work on my system, too. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by iSunrise; 18th October 2011 at 15:35.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 15:31   #10171  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
I only see one log in there?
I see two files when I just downloaded. Try it again or maybe try this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sjqq6d3a866a2d2

(I'm new to Mediafire so maybe I'm doing something wrong.)
Old 18th October 2011, 15:33   #10172  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
The glitches usually only occur when playing back movies at a non 1:1 frame rate / refresh rate match. E.g. when playing 25fps movies @ 50Hz, or when playing 24fps movies @ 60Hz.
I play 24fps at 60 (as reported by madVR) all the time with no glitches.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:40   #10173  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I see two files when I just downloaded. Try it again or maybe try this link
Oh, forgot to tell you: You need to turn the debug OSD (Ctrl+J) on, before going fullscreen. Only then madVR writes the needed information into the log file. Sorry, my fault. FWIW, I don't need a log with exclusive mode disabled.

Quote:
I play 24fps at 60 (as reported by madVR) all the time with no glitches.
Well, then you're lucky.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:42   #10174  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
@nevcairiel:
Care to share your settings to prevent screen glitches without having to use the D3D11 path? I have an nvidia card, too, so they will probably work on my system, too. Thanks a lot!
It was just posted a few posts ago...
Old 18th October 2011, 15:53   #10175  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Little bug:
When using On2 VP7 VP70 video decoder along with madVR, the video is upside down.
When using any other renderer, EVR, VMR9 etc, video is OK.
This is a bug in the VP7 decoder. But I've found a workaround which I'll implement in the next madVR build.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:54   #10176  |  Link
Nicola

mmm, since madshi is around i dare o ask to add something I from the haali renderer, which was my choice before madvr hitting the .7x release.
is it possible to, when res of the video is same as the desktop to half the video window size? Using auto-zoom on mpc-hc is not the samething. If possible, if too much work scrap that.
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 15:56   #10177  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
Hi!

I use madVR together with Zoom Player 8, and ZP has a feature to display seek position popup hint over control bar (control bar is called by pressing "space"). ZP can output this interface elements in madVR fullscreen exclusive mode.

There is a hang of the player if I call control bar and move mouse cursor over control bar for some time in fullscreen exclusive mode: video freezes, sound keeps playing, the player is not responding.
madVR debug log: http://www.mediafire.com/?c97ikazq946tb9g
Hmmmm... I can't seem to be able to reproduce this on my PC. Can you tell me how to exactly?
Old 18th October 2011, 15:57   #10178  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
mmm, since madshi is around i dare o ask to add something I from the haali renderer, which was my choice before madvr hitting the .7x release.
is it possible to, when res of the video is same as the desktop to half the video window size? Using auto-zoom on mpc-hc is not the samething. If possible, if too much work scrap that.
Has been asked before. This is a feature that should be offered by the media player and not by the video renderer. The Haali Renderer achieves it by lying to the media player. I don't consider that a good idea.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:58   #10179  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
It was just posted a few posts ago...
And I can confirm they work well for my 450, as well. nVidia owners having trouble should give this a try.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:24   #10180  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
I´ve reproduced a crash issue with PotPlayer and madVR 0.74 at first, but after careful testing, this seems to happen all the way back to and including madVR 0.67, when the internal madVR decoders were introduced.

This crash only happens when you first play a video where PotPlayer´s internal decoders are used and then you open another video, which is then using the madVR decoder (ffmpeg/libav) for h.264. It doesn´t matter if you either open the second video while the first one is still playing or you stopped playback after the first video before loading the second video.

These are the steps to reproduce:

1) Configure PotPlayer to use the internal decoders for everything except H.264 and AVC1
2) Configure PotPlayer to use madVR decoders for H.264 and AVC1
3) Configure madVR to use the ffmpeg/libav decoders for h.264
4) Play any video which is not using H.264 or AVC1 (e.x. WMV3 or XVID or DIVX)
5) While playing or after stopping playback, open another video which is using H.264 or AVC1 (so the madVR decoders need to be invoked)
6) PotPlayer now produces a crash popup which points to madVR.ax

This is 100% reproducible on my system and happens every time.

I´ve uploaded a log with madVR 0.67 and madVR 0.74 and a screenshot of the crash popup window here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2vxxc79dct86jnf

FYI, I´ve let the first video run for about 9 seconds and opened the 2nd video right at the 10 second mark with both 0.67 and 0.74.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
This is exactly the problem I reported a while ago http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...86#post1520086

I gave up using madVR as a decoder for just this reason.
IMHO this is a bug in PotPlayer. PotPlayer installs a callback for the internal subtitle renderer and never releases it, anymore. Anyway, I've added a workaround for this misbehaviour and the crash seems to be gone.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling