Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 13th December 2014, 15:26   #1  |  Link
nhope
partially-informed layman

Subtitles using CLUT colors 1-4 instead of 13-16. How to fix?

I have a problem with DVD subtitle colours. To test and illustrate it I have authored a very simple 16:9 DVD with Sony DVD Architect 5.2. No menu, just a 1st-play video with one subtitle track (with 4:3 and 16:9 subtitle streams).

In DVD Architect, subtitles use colors 13-16 ("Color Set 4") by default. I have set those to shades of white/grey/black. The menu highlighting uses colors 1-4 ("Color Set 1"). I have set those to green with differing transparency.

I then did my usual patches with PcgEdit to fix a couple of issues causes by DVD Architect's bugginess. Unfortunately PcgEdit can't correct this issue whereby finite subtitles behave as infinite subtitles, and the manual DVDSubEdit fix is very laborious. So I created new subtitles and muxed them into the DVD using MastroSBT/PcgDemux/MuxMan/VobBlankers as per the guides here and here.

The resulting DVD is using colors #1 to #4 in the CLUT (the yellow ones) rather than colors #13 to #16 (the white/grey/black ones) as they should be. At least I assume that is what is happening.

I have tried to find a fix in PcgEdit but I don't know my way around the program well enough to locate the problem and assign the correct colours to the subtitles.

A backup of the IFOs from my reauthored DVD is here.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the cause or the fix for this problem?
nhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 15:56   #2  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Normally, the menu (using colour indexes 1-4) and the movie (using colours 13-16) are authored in different domains: a menu domain (VTSM) and a title domain (VTST). Your new subtitles use indexes 1-4, but it's theoretically not a problem because you don't need to use the same CLUT than in the VTSM domain. Therefore, if you are right and the new subtitles use really colours 1-4, just edit the 4 first colours of the CLUT in the VTST domain to suit your needs. The menu will not be affected. (You can edit the CLUT with PgcEdit or with DVDSubEdit, but to know at what index in the CLUT corresponds a specific colour of your subtitles, DVDSubEdit is easier.)

Of course, if the menu is authored with BOVs in the same VTST domain than the main movie (and therefore share the same CLUT), you can't do that without affecting the menu highlights. But using BOVs to author menus is very rare, and I'm pretty sure that it's not the case of the menus created by DVD Architect.

Last edited by r0lZ; 13th December 2014 at 16:00.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 08:52   #3  |  Link
nhope
partially-informed layman

Thank you very much r0lZ. That worked. I actually go a bit confused editing the CLUT in DVDSubEdit (I wasn't sure what I was supposed to shift-click) so I did it in PcgEdit and then just changed transparency in DVDSubEdit.
nhope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maestrosbt, muxman, pcgedit, subtitles, vobblanker