Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th September 2014, 17:26   #21  |  Link
Dark Eiri

This is like MPC-HC's handsome brother. I like it a lot! I just have one minor request: can you lock window resizing proportions to video aspect ratio?
Dark Eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 22:52   #22  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milardo View Post
Thanks for replying. I guess, may i request for using 3rd party video directshow filters, and capture card support, specifically a card i have which is not supported by any known media player, it's the roxio game capture hd pro.
This probably isn't the appropriate thread for that request. Getting VLC or MPC-HC/BE to support it would be more likely, since they already have capture support.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 09:15   #23  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eiri View Post
This is like MPC-HC's handsome brother. I like it a lot! I just have one minor request: can you lock window resizing proportions to video aspect ratio?
Will put that into my todo list.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 12:40   #24  |  Link
Zachs

Hmm I just realised hosting files on Dropbox will cause Chrome to complain it is malicious!
So I'm now hosting the latest version on my own website (zachsaw.com). I'll need some hosting space for the older versions, anyone cares to sponsor some?
Old 10th September 2014, 12:49   #25  |  Link
ajp2k11

I have problems with black screen in MadVR but MPDN works quite well, thanks for making it available! Looking forward to further development...
ajp2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 08:21   #26  |  Link
Zachs

Ordered dithering and experimental*** 10-bit output support are in the pipeline.

*** I don't have a card capable of 10-bit output, so this will be highly experimental as it is completely untested!
Old 11th September 2014, 12:22   #27  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Ordered dithering and experimental*** 10-bit output support are in the pipeline.

*** I don't have a card capable of 10-bit output, so this will be highly experimental as it is completely untested!
all card since nvidia 2xx and amd 5xxx should be able to output 10 bit on a direct x "fullscreen" surface. and I don't think there should be a way without this. of cause professional cards can do it with openGL.

edit: program crashes when a file with ASS subtitle is load but no vsfilter is installed. I only tried the 64 bit version.

and about 10 bit is there a way to see if the player tries to send a 10 bit I think RGB "picture to the GPU?

I highly doubt my TV is 10 bit but I can send it 12 bit RGB and it except it.

shouldn't 10 bit dithered RGB look like 8 bit rounding on a 8 bit screen. ok there is a chance my screen can use dither too... not easy to test without a 10 bit screen.

Last edited by huhn; 11th September 2014 at 12:42.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 14:19   #28  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
all card since nvidia 2xx and amd 5xxx should be able to output 10 bit on a direct x "fullscreen" surface. and I don't think there should be a way without this. of cause professional cards can do it with openGL.

edit: program crashes when a file with ASS subtitle is load but no vsfilter is installed. I only tried the 64 bit version.

and about 10 bit is there a way to see if the player tries to send a 10 bit I think RGB "picture to the GPU?

I highly doubt my TV is 10 bit but I can send it 12 bit RGB and it except it.

shouldn't 10 bit dithered RGB look like 8 bit rounding on a 8 bit screen. ok there is a chance my screen can use dither too... not easy to test without a 10 bit screen.
Can you get the stack trace for the crash?

Re: 10 bit support, my check for A2R10G10B10 always fails on my GTX560 (on a C++ test app):
PHP Code:
Direct3DCreate9Ex(D3D_SDK_VERSION, &d3d); // create the Direct3D interface

if (FAILED(d3d->CheckDeviceType(0D3DDEVTYPE_HALD3DFMT_A2R10G10B10D3DFMT_A2R10G10B10FALSE)))
    return 
false
If anyone could give me a hand on how to actually get 10-bit support on my GTX560 I'd appreciate it! (EDIT: Apparently, even MPC-HC says my GTX560 has no 10-bit output support)

To find out if it's 10 bit enabled, get the player to show stats (ctrl+J). If you see "High bit depth output enabled" then it is 10 bits in FSE mode.

Last edited by Zachs; 11th September 2014 at 15:01.
Old 11th September 2014, 15:01   #29  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

IIRC, you need at least DirectX 10 for 10-bit output. In this day and age, using DX11 for that is probably the best course of action.
Old 11th September 2014, 15:17   #30  |  Link
Zachs

Has anyone ever got mpc-hc's 10 bit output to work? Their sync renderer uses d3d9.
Old 11th September 2014, 15:24   #31  |  Link
huhn

read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1420

and ask him he looks like the best person to ask about EVR.

at the bug:
not happing after I uninstalled the x64 bit version from xy vsfilter. does your player save the crash dumbs some where?
Old 11th September 2014, 15:29   #32  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Has anyone ever got mpc-hc's 10 bit output to work? Their sync renderer uses d3d9.
It doesn't really work, no. Its extremely limited and only works on very few GPUs - and if it actually outputs 10-bit later is questionable at best.

As of DX10 its actually part of the standard, and all GPUs should be able to do it.
Old 11th September 2014, 17:18   #33  |  Link
dansrfe

Can using Media Player .NET potentially solve the black screen problem for 7/8xx GPUs using madVR?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 03:51   #34  |  Link
Anima123

Cannot run the 64-bit version under Windows 8.1 64-bit OS.

Quote:
TITLE: SharpDX.Direct3D9 Error
------------------------------

An unexpected error 'System.BadImageFormatException' has occurred.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B) (SharpDX.Direct3D9)

BUTTONS:

&Ignore
&Abort
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 04:25   #35  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
I just noticed I missed that part of your question.

10-bit dithered isn't the same as rounding to 8-bit. Rounding to 10 bits, you get quantisation error of 1/1024 whereas in 8 bits it's 1/256. Dithering in 10 bits will give you better perceived quality than plain 10 bits output. Concept is the same as dithering in 8 bits but you do it in 10 bits. If your monitor truly supports 10 bit output or more, you should not need to enable dithering at all (although ordered dithering should get you even closer to the intended colour).

Quote:
read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1420

and ask him he looks like the best person to ask about EVR.

at the bug:
not happing after I uninstalled the x64 bit version from xy vsfilter. does your player save the crash dumbs some where?
Ah, 10-bit output requires NVIDIA workstation cards. No wonder it didn't work. Good news though, my old AMD HD4530 supports it. It's now been tested and will be released in the next version.

However, with my old AMD card / driver, it only worked the first time after system reboot and subsequent init into 10-bit mode will cause video corruption. If you could try it out and report back (i.e. whether you have the same image corruption problem when you go back into FSE mode the second time), I'd appreciate it. To find out if 10-bit mode is enabled, go into full screen exclusive mode, and look out for the line "High bit depth output enabled" on the player stats. Oh and make sure you enable high bit depth output in the options first.

EDIT: The corruption was a driver bug. I switched drivers and it's working now although sometimes getting in and out of FSE mode still fails (just have to try going windowed/FSE mode again and it'll be fine). Overall my experience with AMD drivers hasn't been the most satisfying.

Strangely enough, MPC-HC's internal renderers says the same card doesn't support 10-bit output mode.

RE: Crash dumps. No unfortunately it doesn't save crash dumps yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Can using Media Player .NET potentially solve the black screen problem for 7/8xx GPUs using madVR?
Not sure what you mean by solve the problem for madVR but a few posts above said he's not getting the black screen problem on MPDN as he was on madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Cannot run the 64-bit version under Windows 8.1 64-bit OS.
I developed it under Win8.1 64-bit.

Make sure you have the correct version of DX9 installed (Jun2010) -- Quick guess: it looks like you've put a 32-bit dx9 dll in the folder haven't you?

Last edited by Zachs; 12th September 2014 at 06:45.
Old 12th September 2014, 06:10   #36  |  Link
Zachs

10-bit output mode

Strangely enough, of all the GPUs I've tested, only the NVIDIA cards do not support 10-bit output mode!

Intel HD Graphics 3000 corrupts all DirectX displays (including DWM) after exiting from the 10-bit FSE mode. This is on the latest drivers (Apr 2014).

The AMD HD4530 runs great in 10-bit mode but on some drivers it may also get image corruption in subsequent initializations into 10-bit FSE mode.

I'd say that 10-bit output support is in its infancy at this moment for all the 3 major GPU vendors. In light of that, I've left the option unchecked by default.
Old 12th September 2014, 09:11   #37  |  Link
huhn

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...3011/related/1

nope normal cards can do 10 bit with DX 10-11 too.

anima123

looks like the same error I got
are you trying to play a file with subtitle?
Old 12th September 2014, 09:52   #38  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Strangely enough, of all the GPUs I've tested, only the NVIDIA cards do not support 10-bit output mode!

Intel HD Graphics 3000 corrupts all DirectX displays (including DWM) after exiting from the 10-bit FSE mode. This is on the latest drivers (Apr 2014).

The AMD HD4530 runs great in 10-bit mode but on some drivers it may also get image corruption in subsequent initializations into 10-bit FSE mode.

I'd say that 10-bit output support is in its infancy at this moment for all the 3 major GPU vendors. In light of that, I've left the option unchecked by default.
Thats the unsupported DX9 mode, give it a whirl in DX10 or above, it should work much better.
Old 12th September 2014, 13:38   #39  |  Link
Zachs

Yeah I'll look into dx10.
Old 12th September 2014, 18:37   #40  |  Link
Anima123

Thanks Zachs, that's exactly what the error from. Now I can use your player on playing back of video files, except for .wmv files, which generate another error.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock