Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 12th April 2020, 11:46   #1  |  Link
tebasuna51

Foobar2000 like GUI to audio recode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
... can't find a way to configure Foobar...
To answer this question I want make a little manual.

Foobar2000 can be used like GUI for all command line audio encoders.

- Foobar2000 is a 32 bit exe but the command line encoders can be 64 bits, in OS of 64 bits, to improve performance.

- The easy way to use more than one encoder is put all at the same folder and put it in Preferences -> Advanced -> Tools -> Converter ... like image 1 (I use also that folder for UsEac3to to easy update of new versions).

- Foobar2000 suply a Free_Encoder_Pack but are all 32 bits, if you want use 64 bits encoders don't install this pack and follow the previous points.

- The easy way to use Foobar2000 like GUI is create the Presets than you use often. Load some audio files in Foobar2000 and see the image 2 to go to Converter Setup. Like you can see there are already a preset created (MP3_V2) but go to ... option to create others:

- There are 4 settings (image 3) than can be stored in a preset:
Output format, Destination, Processing and Other.
You can visit Destination and Other to set your options, I think all are easy to understand.
The Procesing setting can be complex (like you can see here) but for recode maybe you don't need it.
We continue with Output format.

- Now (image 4) we can select a predefined format and edit it (image 5) or create a New one (image 6) and configure it.

- With all settings ok you can Save the preset (image 7) with a new name.

- After that when you right click Convert over selected files (image 2) you can select the desired preset and the conversion begin inmediatly.

[reach the max 5 attachments, continue in next post]
Attached Images

Last edited by tebasuna51; 14th April 2020 at 09:51. Reason: add info
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2020, 11:47   #2  |  Link
tebasuna51

The last 2 images
Attached Images

Old 12th April 2020, 12:27   #3  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
The last 2 images
Great job!

Old 13th April 2020, 17:28   #4  |  Link
chainring

I've been using Foobar for years and hadn't ever discovered the custom path for encoders. Didn't really look, either... Thank you!

What I had done to get the latest copies, or the 64 bit versions, was to delete 32 bit versions out of (for example) "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\encoders". I like your solution a bit more.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 21:32   #5  |  Link
tebasuna51

You are welcome!
Old 13th April 2020, 23:13   #6  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
You are welcome!

I miss good old doom9 website with guides...
Old 23rd April 2020, 14:38   #7  |  Link
hello_hello

For anyone who's interested, I created this for uploading somewhere else, but after seeing this thread I thought I'd add a link here.

foobar2000 1.5.3 Portable.zip (49.3MB).
I've replaced the old zip file with a new one. It fixes a couple of minor gremlins.
ffmpeg and ffprobe are no longer included as it halves the size of the zip file. There's instructions in the included text file explaining where to put them and what they're used for.
If you're running XP, there's XP compatible versions of ffmpeg here: http://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/
At the time of editing this post, newer versions are still added occasionally. Unfortunately the newest one at this time (dated 2020-01-03) wasn't built with the Rubberband filter that some of the encoder presets use. If you don't want to use them you can download the latest version. If you do, currently the newest built that includes Rubberband is this one:
ffmpeg-4.3-dev-327-g83e0b71-win32-static-xpmod-sse.7z (dated 2019-08-30).
If you're not running XP, you can either download ffmpeg from the above link, or download the official version.

About the portable foobar2000 in the zip file:

It's a portable version of foobar2000 1.5.3 (XP compatible encoders). You only need to extract the zip file somewhere and run foobar2000.exe. It's setup to be both an audio player and a converter (I use it for the latter almost daily). It's a "business only" configuration. It doesn't display album art or visualisations etc (aside from the output meters), but it displays a fair bit of information about audio files. It's configured for a 4:3 display, so you can run it on a wider display without it hogging the whole screen, or you can run it fullscreen and resize the various sections of the GUI. The left side of the GUI is dedicated to displaying your media library and won't display anything unless you tell fb2k where to find it. The right side of the GUI has tabs at the top for displaying playlists, and tabs below for displaying information about the files in those playlists.

There's lots of conversion presets. They can be used as a guide for creating your own. There's even more encoder presets. I rarely use many of them, but they've been saved as a reference so I don't need to remember the required command lines. For those who don't know, converter presets are a combination of an encoder preset, optional DSP configurations, and they can optionally use ReplayGain for adjusting the volume. An encoder preset only configures the encoder.

There's a text file included explaining where a few file paths need to be set along with some other info. It's nothing like a help file, but the idea was to provide a configuration of foobar2000 that makes it easy to learn to use it as an audio encoder, and it's almost identical to my normal setup anyway. If you have foobar2000 installed, the configuration files and theme file can be copied to the folder where they're located for the installed version, and the installed version will be exactly the same, but will also allow you to set file associations and enable explorer context menus.

There's a font included I'd recommend installing. The text display section on the lower right side uses it. The text display area requires a monospce font to display nicely, otherwise the text won't line up.

My foobar2000 setup (running on XP).

The portable version has been cleaned in respect to file paths etc and will look like this when it's run.

Last edited by hello_hello; 25th April 2020 at 04:50.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 18:02   #8  |  Link
hello_hello

I forgot to mention. The AVS Input component is included so foobar2000 can open, play and convert the audio from Avisynth scripts.

tebasuna51,
I also forgot to mention, there's no need to specify encoder paths (Preferences -> Advanced -> Tools -> Converter).
At least not these days.

Fb2k will automatically check the foobar2000/encoders folder for the appropriate exe, and if it can't find it there, the first time you try to use an encoder preset without a specified path, fb2k will ask you to navigate to where it's located, and save the path automatically. You can specify the full path when setting up an encoder configuration (as per the first screenshot in your second post), but it's probably better not to, as every encoder configuration using that file path will need to be updated if the exe is moved. It's better to simply specify ffmpeg.exe as the encoder, and let fb2k ask you where it's located. If you ever move it, the next time you try to use an ffmpeg encoder preset fb2k will ask you to point to it's location again.

There's quite a few encoder presets in my portable setup above that pipe from one encoder to another. Mostly to use ffmpeg for some sort of processing and then to pipe the output to QAAC or another encoder for encoding. Unfortunately there's no easy way to avoid using the full paths when creating an encoder configuration that pipes.

That's actually something I overlooked when creating the portable version, but I'm not sure there's an easy way around it. For example, the command line used to compress audio with ffmpeg and then pipe it to QAAC for encoding is the following:

Encoder: cmd.exe

/d /c c:\progra~1\foobar2000\encoders\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i - -ignore_length true -af dynaudnorm=f=150:b=1 -c:a pcm_f32le -f wav - | c:\progra~1\foobar2000\encoders\QAAC\qaac.exe --ignorelength -s --no-optimize --no-delay -V 91 -o %d -

The encoder presets that pipe are easy to recognise because the presets have two encoders and a vertical line in their name. ie

FFmpeg | QAAC

A workaround might be to create a "foobar2000" folder in the "Program Files (x86)" folder and also put a copy of the encoders folder from my zip file in there. That should allow those encoder presets to work, without having to individually modify each encoder preset that pipes initially. If anyone has a better solution....

Another thing worth mentioning.... fb2k will fill out encoder command lines for you. For example, if you choose the QAAC preset from the drop-down list at the top of the encoder configuration, then use the GUI to set your preferred encoder options, if you then switch to "custom" in the top drop down box, you'll find your settings have been automatically added to the command line. Doing it that way can be a shortcut to creating a command line you can then modify if there's an option not covered by the encoder presets in the GUI.

Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd April 2020 at 19:40.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2020, 10:07   #9  |  Link
tebasuna51

I know that hello_hello, in my post only want explain a easy way to use foobar2000.

But, of course, you can do many other complex options, also use ffmpeg like audio filter if not exist that filter in foobar2000 like your command line example.

We can use also sox, soundstretch or any other audio filter with pipe support.
Of course avisynth scripts with all audio plugins, and also vst filters.

Also CD-Audio rip with acces to web databases for tags, bassaudio synthesizer to play/convert midi files using soundfonts, ...

Of course is my first option for only audio work.