Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 8th January 2017, 18:55   #1  |  Link
tobindac

Most rencodes of H.264 to HEVC found on the internet have choppy video/hiccups. Why?

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Literally every single video I find that is a reencode from an original H.264 seems to lose 1 frame ever 3-4 frames making an extremely choppy video playing experience. It's especially noticeable with SVP but even with it disabled it's worse.

I guess they do something wrong when encoding. I can't easily believe it's the codec's problem itself. It's too obvious to be programmer's error.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 19:10   #2  |  Link
tobindac

And no, it's not the PC, it's an i7-4790k overclocked with an R9 290.
Old 8th January 2017, 19:34   #3  |  Link
sneaker_ger

No idea what you are talking about. Post a sample. Show renderer statistic, MediaInfo log, CPU/GPU usage, video decoder and player settings.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 20:02   #4  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

Are you quoting the scene? If you are then only few people do such encodes and it might be quite possible they use some fancy utilities/old buggy versions of x265 which lose frames while reencoding. And since those reencodes hardly receive any attention the guys behind them are in the unknown.

(However I have to admit I watched several series of Westworld in HEVC and I didn't notice anything odd).

Also it's quite possible your decoder is buggy.

Anyways, without hard data (examples and media info) it's hard to say.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 20:07   #5  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
No idea what you are talking about. Post a sample. Show renderer statistic, MediaInfo log, CPU/GPU usage, video decoder and player settings.
Not to mention the rather ambiguous "found on the internet" comment. If you download stuff encoded by morons - shit happens. Also, just in case, read the forum rules, particularly #6.
Old 9th January 2017, 00:45   #6  |  Link
tobindac

I know they might be morons. But it is pretty odd that every single "scene" sample I've checked has choppy playback. I doubt my decoder is buggy, it's on the latest mpc-hc nightly build and latest madVR (and occasionally SVP) for years and the same thing happens with all the current versions of that time.

I don't want to insult anyone (like they insulted me) but are you sure you know if a video has hiccups in FPS? It might be possible to miss them. It's very easy for me to spot lost frames every 5-6 frames or less since I regularly use SVP and I'm very used to smooth playback by now.

Problem is literally everything on HEVC that is a re-encode (all "scene" samples, I doubt any tv show is originally released in HEVC) looks choppy/with hiccups.
Old 9th January 2017, 00:49   #7  |  Link
tobindac

And something else, my impression is that that the lost frames are not during playback but during encoding, meaning the madvr stats might show no dropped frames but still see hiccups on the end result.
Old 9th January 2017, 17:31   #8  |  Link
tobindac

I think I start detecting where the problem is, and it's not x265 per se or their encoding exactly. Certain sources they use of lower resolution, say regular 720p, work fine on their x264 form and do look fine in terms of smooth succession of frames on x265. However, a very large number of 1080p files based on HDTV sources have the issue, and the key factor is they often have that issue on the original source as well.

tl;dr: a large number of 1080p HD TV H.264 samples circulating the web are just crap, they often have hiccups or other issues in frame succession, and a H.265 re-encode can not fix them.

Playback dropping frames has nothing to do with it, it's a source issue strictly:

Last edited by tobindac; 9th January 2017 at 17:39.
Old 13th January 2017, 11:26   #9  |  Link
kuchikirukia

So don't watch them.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 21:25   #10  |  Link
tobindac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
So don't watch them.
Of course. It's just impressive to the point I wasn't sure at first if it's even that widespread as a problem of the source and not of the technology. Since it's not the technology's fault I guess it can cause it to have bad reputation.

Luckily I notice they gradually become rare to have that issue.

It's mainly the TV streams that have the issue but still.