Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 28th January 2017, 13:32   #1  |  Link
kevmitch

Ripping hardcoded subs. SubRip Max. Line Height restriction.

I bought a German blu-ray with no English subtitles and I can only find a recompressed copy of the same program with hard coded subs. I would like to rip the subs from the recompressed version to overlay them on my higher quality blu-ray copy.

I understand that SubRip (1.56.1) is the usual goto for this kind of thing (though I'd be glad to hear of alternatives) and I nearly have it working. However, when I go to set the "Inter-line options" in the "Video file viewer" window to tell it how high each line is, it will not let me increase the "Height" beyond 44 (pixels?). It looks like the actual line height required so that letters don't get cut off and interpreted as "open regions" would be at least 50.

I see that in the main "SubRip 1.56.1" window there is the setting "Options->Advanced OCR Setup->Line Setup->Max. Line Height", but if I try and set it any larger than 45 it gives me a dialog window saying "Warning: < 0 ; 45 >".

Having to re-encode at a lower resolution just to satisfy this arbitrary line height restriction seems kind of silly and will no doubt make the OCR more error prone as the text borders won't be as crisp. Am I just out of luck on this, or is there a better way forward?
kevmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 15:06   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Have you tried searching the subtitle sites for the English subs ?

eg Google:-

subtitle English "Jean de Florette"

subtitle English "Manon de sources"

EDIT: Above movie Parts 1 & 2, (should watch both), a masterpiece with a 'kick ass' twist at the end.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th January 2017 at 17:52.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 00:56   #3  |  Link
kevmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Have you tried searching the subtitle sites for the English subs ?

eg Google:-

subtitle English "Jean de Florette"

subtitle English "Manon de sources"

EDIT: Above movie Parts 1 & 2, (should watch both), a masterpiece with a 'kick ass' twist at the end.
The best I could find by searching "subtitle English Deutschland 83" are missing the vast majority of the dialog and are atrociously timed on top of that. All sites just seem to have identical copies of the same bad files.I think the problem may be that none of the official releases has non-hard coded subs to easily OCR.

Last edited by kevmitch; 29th January 2017 at 05:20.
Old 29th January 2017, 02:50   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I think "Subtitle Edit" has OCR for hard coded subs (not sure, on Linux at the moment), could give that a try (its pretty darn good).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 05:38   #5  |  Link
kevmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I think "Subtitle Edit" has OCR for hard coded subs (not sure, on Linux at the moment), could give that a try (its pretty darn good).
It doesn't look like it. The closest thing seems to be an image import feature, but it appears to be expecting clean text-only images from bitmap subtitles rather than screenshots. There is no way to select the subtitle region of the imported image or adjust detection colours.
Old 1st February 2017, 09:01   #6  |  Link
kevmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmitch View Post
Having to re-encode at a lower resolution just to satisfy this arbitrary line height restriction seems kind of silly and will no doubt make the OCR more error prone as the text borders won't be as crisp. Am I just out of luck on this, or is there a better way forward?
Well reencoding isn't actually necessary. I can just add

Code:
BicubicResize(1920, 950)
to the avisynth filters, but I give up anyway because the quality of the OCR is mediocre. I'm not convinced that if I add in proof reading, it's more efficient than just transcribing manually. Neither of which I want to do since I don't want the plot revealed before I actually watch.

I guess I'll just have to watch the compressed version. If I really like the show enough, I might go back and redo the subtitles later.

Tags
hardsubs, ocr, subrip, subtitle conversion