Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 31st July 2008, 16:48   #341  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg View Post
That was it, once I had edited that file also, the subs were as I wanted, thanks again MrC. I also used the menu creation for the first time using 3 titles, the result was great. One request! could you add png files to the list of usable image files. I tend to use these for background menu image as it is the default of vlc player & to me seems better than jpg.

Thanks in advance.
Great about subs!

About png files, I am sorry but VB6 does not support them...
Btw, AVStoDVD could load the png, convert it to bmp (with AviSynth) and then use the bmp. Will put in ToDo list.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 16:53   #342  |  Link
rendez2k

Three minor issues with latest Alpha. Making the DVD menu 2 rows across caused the thumbnails to go too high, putting them over the title. Secondly, after burning with ImgBurn, AVStoDVD always reports burning failed even though it completed. Not a big issue. And last, one slightly annoying thing is that if I edit the titles how I want them then make a change to the menu the titles reset and I have to re-edit them.

Any updates on new versions

Last edited by rendez2k; 6th August 2008 at 16:55.
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 21:42   #343  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Making the DVD menu 2 rows across caused the thumbnails to go too high, putting them over the title.
Should be fixed in next release. I have made some work to optimize automatic thumbs disposition.

Quote:
Secondly, after burning with ImgBurn, AVStoDVD always reports burning failed even though it completed. Not a big issue.
Indeed, it is not little. Did you have same problem with previous releases? I have made no changes to burning check section...
A log file could help to understand the problem.

Quote:
And last, one slightly annoying thing is that if I edit the titles how I want them then make a change to the menu the titles reset and I have to re-edit them.
Yes, it is supposed that first you choose template and then you edit it. If I remember correctly, TDA (surely a good benchmark) works in the same way.

Quote:
Any updates on new versions
Well, before your report, I was planning to release a new alpha tomorrow... It should be last alpha: I would like to release 2.1.0 "Final" within days and then go on vacation for some time.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 6th August 2008, 22:48   #344  |  Link
rendez2k

I only tried the DVD writing in the alphas. I'll need to run another test to get the log file. What it might be, is that I have 2 DVD writers. I know a least once I put blank media in my other drive and changed this actually in ImgBurn. It may have caused AVS to think it hadn't burnt?

And, it may be the case with TDA but I want AVS to be better
Old 7th August 2008, 07:58   #345  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

From http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...94#post1167594

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzin View Post
I like the menu creation its really what I wanted in all in one encoder. Except that its only in widescreen (what about fullscreen ), maybe you could also include a generic black background. You should make the advanced settings more universal, instead of having to have to edit them for each video. Is there anyway I could change the bitrate to lower than 2500 so I can include more video, HC does exceptionally well at lower bitrates. Also the dc precision should probably be 9, not 8... Otherwise Mr.C very good job I like the app. One last thing can I replace muxman with the latest version?

I'd be also happy to beta test it throughly, Im already running one right now!
4:3 aspect ratio: I had a similar discussion privately with Sir Dydimus and he had your opinion. IMO 4:3 is becoming obsolete. I don't know if the effort (take care of vertical height, new highlight masks, new templates, etc.) is worthy... let's wait for other users opinions.

When you say "advanced settings", do you refer to Title Edit window? General settings can be set in 'Settings' (see icon on the toolbar), title settings can be changed in 'Title Edit'.

Right now, no way to reduce minimum avg bitrate below 2500 kbps. If you want to put more material on a DVD you could make a "larger" DVD with AVStoDVD and then shrink it with DVDShrink. But stay updated with next releases...

You can surely overwrite Muxman.exe 0.15R with 0.16.6. I did not update it mainly because I really do not like the annoying new splash msgbox...

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2008, 08:26   #346  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
I only tried the DVD writing in the alphas. I'll need to run another test to get the log file. What it might be, is that I have 2 DVD writers. I know a least once I put blank media in my other drive and changed this actually in ImgBurn. It may have caused AVS to think it hadn't burnt?
No, it should not. DVD burning completion check is very simple: if the file [drive:]\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO exists and its size is more than 0 then burning is considered successful, otherwise not. A possible cause of "fake fail" is if you toggle on the ImgBurn GUI option to eject DVD after burning.

Quote:
And, it may be the case with TDA but I want AVS to be better
Thanks for the high opinion, but, you know, TDA is a commercial sw with a team of professional programmers behind. AVStoDVD is only a poor open source GUI with only one amateur programmer... well, it is not true: there are also Doom9 supporter guys!

Joking apart, your help is very appreciated.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2008, 08:49   #347  |  Link
rendez2k

The only options I've got set in ImgBurn are do not eject after burn and verify - maybe enough to upset AVS?
Old 7th August 2008, 09:51   #348  |  Link
gizzin

I can almost guarantee you that people will say 4:3 menu. Most people don't have widescreen tvs because they are generally the bigger screen tvs. A 16:9 menu however doesn't look that bad on a 4:3 screen. I wouldn't concern yourself with the menu system its great! One thing I noticed though is the text overlaps the thumbnails, if theres too much text? When I mean advanced settings, I meant HC advanced options like lumgain, you should have the choice of making the settings universal or for each video. I also noticed that the playback has small stutters in it also but wouldn't that be due to muxman? Having the bitrate to whatever you want is a must<<-- !!!!!
gizzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 10:37   #349  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
The only options I've got set in ImgBurn are do not eject after burn and verify - maybe enough to upset AVS?
Will check if "verify" is an issue.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2008, 10:45   #350  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
I can almost guarantee you that people will say 4:3 menu. Most people don't have widescreen tvs because they are generally the bigger screen tvs. A 16:9 menu however doesn't look that bad on a 4:3 screen. I wouldn't concern yourself with the menu system its great!
Ok. Btw, people with 4:3 TV will surely buy a 16:9 TV next time.

Quote:
One thing I noticed though is the text overlaps the thumbnails, if theres too much text?
I would leave user to adjust that. It would be quite simple to automatically check if there is object overlapping, but how to manage it? Move obects? Which one? And where?

Quote:
When I mean advanced settings, I meant HC advanced options like lumgain, you should have the choice of making the settings universal or for each video.
That would mean put HCenc advanced settings as default choice in 'Settings'. Will think about it.

Quote:
I also noticed that the playback has small stutters in it also but wouldn't that be due to muxman?
Really? For every encoded DVDs? If true it would be a big issue! I moved from DVDAuthor to Muxman to avoid stuttering...

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2008, 10:53   #351  |  Link
rendez2k

I agree with MrC - 4:3 menus are of little use, but thats just my opinion! On another matter, will there be options to change the highlight colour and type in the future? Maybe option to highlight just the border of the image or the text? Also, will it be possible to alter the frame thats been captured by hand? I know theres percentage options for the frame, but it doesn't always produce perfect results!
Old 7th August 2008, 16:39   #352  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
I agree with MrC - 4:3 menus are of little use, but thats just my opinion! On another matter, will there be options to change the highlight colour and type in the future? Maybe option to highlight just the border of the image or the text? Also, will it be possible to alter the frame thats been captured by hand? I know theres percentage options for the frame, but it doesn't always produce perfect results!
Let's put highlights customization and thumbs frame selection in the neverending ToDo list.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2008, 16:55   #353  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Available AVStoDVD 2.1.0 Alpha 080807.

Change log (since last Alpha):

- Some bugs fixed
- Added Motion Menu (animated thumbs)
- Added possibility to lock label properties change and to anchor thumbs labels to thumbs
- Added drag and drop of DVD Menu Editor items
- Improved Main form GUI
- Revised bitrate calculation routine
- ImgBurn updated to 2.4.2.0

Except for bugfixing (if any), 2.1.0 "Final" will be the same.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2008, 17:55   #354  |  Link
rendez2k

Good work! I'll be giving it a full test shortly!

From my limited test - for future versions the ability to see the motion menu in the preview would be nice and some kind of snap to grid or alignment feature for moving the thumbnails round. But it really is superb! I'll feedback later about any further issues....
Old 7th August 2008, 19:26   #355  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Compliments for the new release!
I will test it as soon as possible...

Quote:
4:3 aspect ratio: I had a similar discussion privately with Sir Dydimus and he had your opinion. IMO 4:3 is becoming obsolete. I don't know if the effort (take care of vertical height, new highlight masks, new templates, etc.) is worthy... let's wait for other users opinions.
Hem... Didymus, please...

Well, yes, I confirm my dream is to see the complete support in AVStoDVD for all of the possible AR: 4:3, ws+lb, ws+ps, ws+lb+ps...

Of course this would imply a significant additional implementation effort from your side, and everybody agree that the 4:3 format is becoming obsolete...

But there are also other good reasons (both of theoric and of very practical nature) for asking it... Maybe I will give some further comment on the matter in the future...

In the meanwhile, let's see if other users have their own opinion on the matter...

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 21:37   #356  |  Link
ricardo.santos

MrC thanks for keeping improving AVStoDVD, just tested it twice, with 2 and 3 clips and worked perfectly, no errors.

2 suggestions/requests:
would it be possible for AVStoDVD to have a default subtitle language like it has for audio on OPTIONS>>>SETTINGS>>>AUTHORING/BURNING ?

Any chance of making different starting points for the menu motion thumbs? I record tv shows and and if i put 3 videos they all start with the same show intro in the dvd menu, it works, but doesnt look good eheheheheh.

Keep up the good work with AVStoDVD.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 21:43   #357  |  Link
rendez2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo.santos View Post
Any chance of making different starting points for the menu motion thumbs?
Did you can change the thumb offset % in the menu options? Try a higher number than the default 10%

Edit: just noticed this only works with static menus!

Last edited by rendez2k; 7th August 2008 at 21:58.
Old 7th August 2008, 21:59   #358  |  Link
rendez2k

Just found a serious error: the motion menu won't on my Panasonic. The highlight just flicks very quickly on the first frame and you can't select anything. However, it works fine on my Philips. Any ideas?
Old 7th August 2008, 22:26   #359  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
Hem... Didymus, please...
I'm very sorry!!! Imperdonabile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
But there are also other good reasons (both of theoric and of very practical nature) for asking it... Maybe I will give some further comment on the matter in the future...
Please, go ahead. You know I appreciate a lot your opinion and suggestions. And not only as BatchMux developer...

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th August 2008, 22:31   #360  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
would it be possible for AVStoDVD to have a default subtitle language like it has for audio on OPTIONS>>>SETTINGS>>>AUTHORING/BURNING ?
Good suggestion. Will put in ToDo list

Quote:
Any chance of making different starting points for the menu motion thumbs? I record tv shows and and if i put 3 videos they all start with the same show intro in the dvd menu, it works, but doesnt look good eheheheheh.
My goal is to add the possibility to select start and end point of motion thumbs. Customizable for each title. It needs some work, but it should not be a big effort.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum