Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 5th June 2020, 05:36   #29421  |  Link
DoctorM

BD RB could encode a disc in 15 minutes if you used the fastest settings. Is CloneBD any good or just fast?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 11:31   #29422  |  Link
Michi

Error "Jaws UHD":

Code:
[06.06.20] BD Rebuilder v0.61.05
[12:22:31] Source:  JAWS
  - Input BD size: 92,75 GB
  - Approximate total content: [06:47:49.242]
  - Target BD size: 46,26 GB
  - Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
  - Quality: High Quality (Default), CRF
  - Decoding/Frame serving: FFMPEG
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=448
- Resuming from previously started job.
[12:22:33] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [12:22:33] Processing: VID_00480 (4 of 18)
 - [12:22:33] Multiplexing M2TS
 - Error in attempt to multiplex: MUX_00480.meta
 - HEVC manual defined fps doesn't equal to stream fps. Change HEVC fps from 59.97 to 59.9401
[12:22:37] - Failed to build structure, aborted
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 11:43   #29423  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
BD RB could encode a disc in 15 minutes if you used the fastest settings. Is CloneBD any good or just fast?
For me 15 minutes is on "best quality" with my 1080A. If i select fastest option it's done in around 8 minutes. It's very good, and has an easy to use interface. Though offers less configuration options than BRDB.

Which is why i still use both
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 16:56   #29424  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Just jumping in late on the NVENC/CUDA discussion... I too have other tools that support it for Decoding/Encoding. They are definitely faster than BD-RB.

With my older Nvidia cards, GPU Accelerated encoding (be it Cuda/NVENC/Qsync/whatever), was faster but didn't look as good. It seemed softer and not as clear. And the bitrates were less even when trying to use the same CRF values, etc.

With my GTX1660ti (newest gen Nvidia hardware encoder) using hardware accelerated in the other tools (like FAB) is definitely faster and for all intents and purposes the output looks as good on my TV as BD-RB. (ok, I never looked frame by frame, blew them up side by side, etc... just talking about what my eyes see on my TV and my tablets)

That being said, I still use BD-RB as my primary app for making "Movie Only" MKV's for Bluray and UHD discs. (I use FAB for the occasional DVD) I just trust it, and its UI and settings are better (more configuration + very nicely laid out). Plus it always works and always gives me great quality which is the most important to me.

Having GPU Accelerated encoding would be a plus, I can certainly understand why some want it. But I'm fine without it if BD-RB keeps working as well as it does!
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 18:06   #29425  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Error "Jaws UHD":

Code:
[06.06.20] - HEVC manual defined fps doesn't equal to stream fps. Change HEVC fps from 59.97 to 59.9401
Huh? This movie was shot on film @ 24fps. The frame rate should either be 24 or 23.976. It is hard to get 60fps video from 24fps film and not use 3-2 pulldown. Doing so gains nothing for 24fps movies on Blu-ray and/or UHD

Last edited by MrVideo; 6th June 2020 at 18:13.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2020, 02:26   #29426  |  Link
DoctorM

I've been away from this forum for a while and I'm seeing discussion of BD RB working with 4k discs, but searching the thread back for the past year, the first post and jdobb's website, I can't figure out what BD RB can and can't do.

Are people converting 4k discs to standard BD format? Can Atmos and other higher type audio tracks be passed to a standard BD?
Can BD RB re-encode 4k discs to a smaller size and output a burnable/playable UHD BD structure?
What happens to HDR in either of these cases?

Sorry if this has been answered, but there doesn't seem to be a resource explaining this. I don't see a setting for an x265 encoder, so I have to assume the output isn't UHD.

Edit: OOOooooh. tsMuxer was actually updated to support UHD structure, HDR, etc. I had no idea there was any development going on.
I had to dig back into the end of 2018 to find out that BD RB can actually shrink a UHD disc. Beautiful... but it would be nice if that info were somewhere like the first post.
Can anyone comment on standalone hardware support for UHD BD25 and BD50? I didn't think that was possible. It would be nice to know what brands/models support it.

Last edited by DoctorM; 12th June 2020 at 02:18.
Old 9th June 2020, 22:22   #29427  |  Link
AmigaFuture

JDobbs, have you found a solution for the imported video becoming corrupted? I've recorded all 8 episodes of "The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch" (not related to the movie) Season 1, after removing commercials I've saved to MKV. There are 8 episodes. A few import fine, but the rest have glitches at chapter points. The MKVs before import are clear, and play through everything well. During Import v0.61.05, I've checked the TEMP directory and also made a copy when it's just about done..and checked with MPC-HC and the video is clean and smooth just like the MKV. It's when it's being added to the BD structure that some videos are altered.

Since I love the new actual evidence presented in this show I decided to make a BD. Which reminded me of the problem previously. I figured I'd check into it more, and I found that if Chapters are included or if not..and BD Rebuilder makes then, some videos are altered. Those are my findings so far. The episodes are in 720p 59.94 FPS.
Old 10th June 2020, 03:56   #29428  |  Link
DoctorM

@AmigaFuture - If your source recordings are mpeg2, you might want to try running mpeg2repair on them first.

And a question: Is "Quicker Encode for Extras" supposed to still work even if "force_noencode" is set to 1? Someone gave that advice once as a way to leave the movie untouched and encode the extras to fit the remaining space. It doesn't work for me. All video is left un-re-encoded. (I did make sure not to use x264's LAVF because that can't 1-pass.)
Old 10th June 2020, 04:32   #29429  |  Link
BuddTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Just jumping in late on the NVENC/CUDA discussion...
Having GPU Accelerated encoding would be a plus, I can certainly understand why some want it. But I'm fine without it if BD-RB keeps working as well as it does!

I also was interested in GPU Accelerated encoding, but when JDobbs and other explained that there are fewer "quality" settings, compared to sw encoding, and the "best quality" BD-RB software settings gives a better final video, I am no longer interested in GPU Accelerated encoding.

I have two unused, older i7 pc's, attached to a KVM switch, and let BD-RB crank away at the highest possible settings making MKV files. So it takes 3 days or longer to make 1 MKV file using x265. The results are great, and "my" computer is left to do other things.

Now if they ever come out with GPU Accelerated encoding that offered "insane" High Quality video settings, I might be interested, but that might cost several hundred dollars for a video card, I probably would not be in a huge rush to buy such a graphics card, to get the same results I get now, with just waiting several days. Thanks everyone and JDobbs for explaing this!
BuddTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 07:59   #29430  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

Now if they ever come out with GPU Accelerated encoding that offered "insane" High Quality video settings, I might be interested, but that might cost several hundred dollars for a video card, I probably would not be in a huge rush to buy such a graphics card, to get the same results I get now, with just waiting several days.
... and electric power is so cheap
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 21:06   #29431  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
@AmigaFuture - If your source recordings are mpeg2, you might want to try running mpeg2repair on them first.

A question: Is "Quicker Encode for Extras" supposed to still work even if "force_noencode" is set to 1? Someone gave that advice once as a way to leave the movie untouched and encode the extras to fit the remaining space. It doesn't work for me. All video is left un-re-encoded. (I did make sure not to use x264's LAVF because that can't 1-pass.)
Comcast is transmitting MPEG-4 for HD channels. I have Quick-Encode for Extras enabled almost constantly. Functions very well with BD backups. Imported MKV's from that source aren't being reencoded. I'm now noticing, ahhhh...been a while attempting to "debug" this. That if I rencode some 59.94 files to 29.97 then..imports are great. So, there seems to be a problem that gets by (VideoReDo) TVSuite AND BD-RB (tsMuxer).
Which then also means some movies might not be rendered correctly, or mastering errors (?). I gave JD 2 files a while back, but I know he's been active with other stuff.
HandBreak is a nice replacement for now for encoding then since if I change the Framerate ONLY (to 29.97), and disable all Deinterlacing then it looks really good and plays smooth..and Imports sweetly. I just prefer JD's method because I'm not into all the math for getting MB output size right.

Appreciate the reply.

"x264's LAVF because that can't 1-pass." - It should, or DirectShow. I use these..often. Hmm..
Old 10th June 2020, 22:45   #29432  |  Link
ChuckUFarley

Let me correct myself. CRF is disabled with X264's internal LAVF, but ABR is still an option. Since quicker-encode seems to use a CRF value, I would think a different decoder is needed.
I'd just like to know if that's a bug or a feature with force_noencode & quicker encode.

As far as your issue AmigaFuture... dude, I have no idea what you are even trying to do anymore. I figured you were capping OTA content. Since it's Comcast, I have to assume it's not QAM, and by MPEG-4, I'll assume you mean AVC video.

I don't know of a way to clean possible broadcast or encoding bugs under those conditions. I'm not sure there is. It could be a bug in the software you are using to cut the commercials.
ChuckUFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 01:16   #29433  |  Link
Lathe

Oh GEEZ...

Sorry guys, but I am like 3 frigg'n MONTHS behind checking this thread, my humble and lowly apologies. My poor ol' PC finally passed on to the Great Beyond and I had to build another one. The good news is that since it has been over 8 years since my last one, this new one now, although I'm sure no where NEAR some of your guys' cutting edge systems, is a HELL of a lot faster and better So, I'm looking forward to seeing how long encoding times take now. I've done little snippets, like Conan shows, and using the x264 CMD LN it used to take about 6 minutes to re-encode a file of say 400 Megs to a size of about 60 Megs, and now it takes like 1 1/2 minutes, so that's a good sign

I know it isn't as super duper as your guys's stuff, but I now have a nice AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16 Gigs of RAM, and My Goodness, I thought okay I'll try to get maybe an older generation but used to be cutting edge video card. DAMN! The thing was like half the size of a bloody shoe box! I'd never seen anything so huge (well... except of course in my case... *cough...) I was bloody terrified trying to install it, but fortunately I didn't seem to screw anything up. It is an older Raedon 590x Fat Boy. Oh, and if was just easier to get a new SDD drive, I guess one of the newer M2 generation ones that plugs directly into the MB with the W10 OS on it. That is rather nice too!

Anyway, sorry to go on... So, I went to the first post on this thread to DL all the versions of Avisynth and stuff we need to do, and WTF! The Avisynth links, both of them do not work now...??? I suppose I can just find the Avisynth site, etc., but I thought that was kind of weird. Did some monumental changes occur here since I was gone...? Like...

Is JD doing okay...?

Is Mr. Video still being as anal as ever...?

Is gonca still lusting after the moose of the Great North...?

Any updates that I should know about?

Thanks!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 01:30   #29434  |  Link
Lathe

I guess it was all right, no big deal...

I already had the versions DL'd anyway, so I just used them, it started up fine.

I need to go back over the last 3 months and see what the HELL all of you guys have been up to!
Old 11th June 2020, 01:38   #29435  |  Link
Lathe

Hmmm, interesting...

Although definitely running faster on all accounts, the CPU utilization is only about maybe from about 17-19% Weird... It used to use a fair amount of my old CPU, like easily from 80-95%...
Old 11th June 2020, 03:12   #29436  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Is Mr. Video still being as anal as ever...?
Somebody has to.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 05:01   #29437  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Oh GEEZ...

Sorry guys, but I am like 3 frigg'n MONTHS behind checking this thread, my humble and lowly apologies.
This part where you're so Lowly is still very funny to me.

Quote:
I know it isn't as super duper as your guys's stuff, but I now have a nice AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16 Gigs of RAM [...]with the W10 OS on it. That is rather nice too!
I'm looking at the same setup. I'm still enjoying my older ASUS 10+ year system..and it's doing really well, but I want faster speeds with USB, and more. You got your parts around the same time I was considering buying..then..I delayed, so I'm awaiting stock to refill.

Screw OS 10..I won't go there. It's much too ugly a UI. I found plenty of ways to get Window 7 to function. That rocks!

Quote:
JD doing okay...
I wondered that also, sent a PM..got a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Somebody has to.
Ohhh.. So many comments...

Anyway..

I've found some bugs I'm confirming for 720p.. They all are related to TsMuxer.. Advanced warning.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 11th June 2020 at 05:24.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 06:18   #29438  |  Link
DoctorM

@Lathe - Are you using your SSD while encoding? It might wear it out faster, but a spinning platter drive could be a limiting factor. Also, what are you using to decode? On my previous system (FX-8350) I got a 10% bump in performance using x264's internal LAVF versus my vid card. The reason is the internal LAVF is the only way to take advantage of a 64-bit pipe in BD RB. I have to assume a Ryzen 5 would be even better.

@AmigaFuture - Oh, God. I'm glad someone else said it. I'm running two drives with two OS's right now that I swap between. I'm TRYING to ease myself into Win10 and I hate it. It's ugly, bloated and clunky. It'll take forever to root out all the M$ crap and tweak it to function smoothly like Win7.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:54   #29439  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
well... except of course in my case... *cough...
You realize that you were looking in a trick mirror stumpy
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 21:53   #29440  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe
Is JD doing okay...?
Still breathing. I haven't spent as much time on BD-RB as I'd like. My dream is to get a GTX1660 so I can work on NVENC encoding, but the wife seems to think we should concentrate on things like food, fuel, clothing and a roof over our head instead. Women. They just don't understand geek economics, do they?