Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 5th March 2015, 00:39   #22421  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
I forgot to mention that these are two different movies.
Encoding of the 2D movie has completed; encoding of the 3D movie is still ongoing but I would assume that both are going to be put onto the final disc.

Edit: I remember that changes have been made some time ago which allowed to edit and save Quick-menus even though the source is on a read-only medium. Has anything been changed back since?
I don't think so. I don't think I've made any changes to the routines specific to Quick-Menu in quite a while.

I was planning on looking at the ability to Quick-Play to BD-5/9 for the next release (if I have time). But I haven't started it yet.

Last edited by jdobbs; 5th March 2015 at 00:42.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 05:55   #22422  |  Link
meadrocks

Forced Subs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Look in the working folder for a .SUP file with a "9999" in the title. That would be the subtitle stream created from the original. If there isn't one -- then none of the selected PGS streams have forced subtitles.
For Get The Gringo there's a file named 00001.track_9999.sup in Workfiles dir. When I play the mkv, no subs are displayed. mediainfo also replies that no subs are forced.

When I play the mkv file & enable the last sub ( there are 3 English subs) it plays the forced sub & looks great!

There are 4 .sub files in the workfiles dir, 4608, 4609, 4610, & 9999. Yet when I play the mkv, there's 3 subs I can choose from. I assume they are 4608, 4609 & 4610, & I assume 4610 & 9999 are the same?

Also according to the spreadsheet, the Kill Bill movies do not have forced subs, also there's no *.track_9999.sup file in workfiles dirs of both Kill Bill dirs, yet when the bd disk plays in the bd player you see the subs. The spreadsheet says they are in sub6 for both movies. Since they aren't forced, is there a way to tell bd-rb to make the sub forced? When I play the mkv w/ the last sub (sub6) enabled, it plays the forced sub. Looks great! It would just be a convenience to have it forced.

I've ran mediainfo on all the titles that forced subs played correctly in my above post, yet none of them are forced, so I have to assume they are hardcoded in the video.

BTW I am running mediainfo on a Linux media server, here's the version info, but I don't think its giving false info.

ampl@myth-server01:/videos/RAID/VIDEOS/O-S$ mediainfo --version
MediaInfo Command line,
MediaInfoLib - v0.7.67

Last edited by meadrocks; 5th March 2015 at 06:42.
meadrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 06:20   #22423  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
I use Digistor BD-25's..and sometimes 50's. Hard Disk Drives are sweet, and I use them also...but archived optical disks still make the sweetest backups when cared for well.
Absolutely... and I REALLY like the relative peace of mind knowing that I have that physical backup too!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 15:11   #22424  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadrocks View Post
When I play the mkv file & enable the last sub ( there are 3 English subs) it plays the forced sub & looks great!
That's the reason it's there. That tells me that the player doesn't see the forced subs -- so you have to turn them on. They have to be there, or BD-RB wouldn't have created the "9999" file. I can't speak to what mediainfo says -- but if it says they're not there -- it's wrong.
Quote:
Also according to the spreadsheet, the Kill Bill movies do not have forced subs, also there's no *.track_9999.sup file in workfiles dirs of both Kill Bill dirs, yet when the bd disk plays in the bd player you see the subs. The spreadsheet says they are in sub6 for both movies. Since they aren't forced, is there a way to tell bd-rb to make the sub forced? When I play the mkv w/ the last sub (sub6) enabled, it plays the forced sub.
That just means that the original BD author didn't use the "forced" flags, and created a separate PGS stream that contained the subtitles to be displayed. They were then, probably, turned on at disc start.
Old 5th March 2015, 23:16   #22425  |  Link
DoctorM

Again, technically this isn't a bug report, since you do not support full backup to BD5s, but I wanted to report some odd behavior and ask a question.

The disc is Olive Films' "In Old California". With Strict AVCHD checked, the mono DTS core was extracted for the final disc.

I tried unchecking 'Do not convert DTS to AC3 (Blu-Ray only)'. At that point the audio track WAS re-encoded to Dolby but since it was mono, the output was 112kbps. That seemed awfully low, so out of curiosity I checked "Use 192 Kbs, 2 ch for AC3 encoding" just to see what would happen. (The answer is nothing of course, but it was worth a try.)

Anyway, I'm assuming the 122kbps number is the default for mono AVCHD discs (full backup or movie only), but it seems a bit low. Is there a way to increase that at all? 122kbps for mono is comparable to 448kbps for 5.1 channels. 160-192kbps for mono seems more in line for an HD source.

Btw, for those curious, Olive uses vary bare still menus for all their discs. The output (with a minor fix) burned on a DVD+RW with menus and DTS core actually plays fine on my Sony BDP-S790. (I was fairly shocked too.)
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 23:25   #22426  |  Link
Sharc

I have some problems with 3D playback via standalone +TV which I thought may be related to the default in-mux format.
I wanted to compile an .ssif / .iso version to check if this would help. For this purpose I made a Movie-only backup with the .ini options FORCE_INMUX_3D=0 and
OUTPUT_3D_ISO=1. But I still got an in-mux single .m2ts which the player does not recognize as 3D.
Has the .iso/.ssif output option been removed from BD-RB, or am I missing something?

Edit:
It looks like the bug is in the .meta. In the MUXOPT the --blu-ray is missing.

Last edited by Sharc; 6th March 2015 at 00:08.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 00:24   #22427  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Again, technically this isn't a bug report, since you do not support full backup to BD5s, but I wanted to report some odd behavior and ask a question.

The disc is Olive Films' "In Old California". With Strict AVCHD checked, the mono DTS core was extracted for the final disc.

I tried unchecking 'Do not convert DTS to AC3 (Blu-Ray only)'. At that point the audio track WAS re-encoded to Dolby but since it was mono, the output was 112kbps. That seemed awfully low, so out of curiosity I checked "Use 192 Kbs, 2 ch for AC3 encoding" just to see what would happen. (The answer is nothing of course, but it was worth a try.)

Anyway, I'm assuming the 122kbps number is the default for mono AVCHD discs (full backup or movie only), but it seems a bit low. Is there a way to increase that at all? 122kbps for mono is comparable to 448kbps for 5.1 channels. 160-192kbps for mono seems more in line for an HD source.

Btw, for those curious, Olive uses vary bare still menus for all their discs. The output (with a minor fix) burned on a DVD+RW with menus and DTS core actually plays fine on my Sony BDP-S790. (I was fairly shocked too.)
112Kbs is pretty high for a mono track. That would be the equivalent of 224Kbs stereo. In fact I would wager that it would be transparent from the original source.

If you want to keep DTS on a BD-5/9 you can add this:

OVERRIDE_AVCHD_AUDIO_LIMIT=1

BUT!!! Be warned. Since DTS is not a part of the AVCHD specification, there will be a LOT of players that won't play back the audio. So consider carefully whether you want to create a backup that only works "for now". That's the reason this option isn't documented.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th March 2015 at 00:34.
Old 6th March 2015, 00:36   #22428  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I have some problems with 3D playback via standalone +TV which I thought may be related to the default in-mux format.
I wanted to compile an .ssif / .iso version to check if this would help. For this purpose I made a Movie-only backup with the .ini options FORCE_INMUX_3D=0 and
OUTPUT_3D_ISO=1. But I still got an in-mux single .m2ts which the player does not recognize as 3D.
Has the .iso/.ssif output option been removed from BD-RB, or am I missing something?

Edit:
It looks like the bug is in the .meta. In the MUXOPT the --blu-ray is missing.
Can you post the contents of the meta file that has it missing?

If you are outputting in-mux 3D, the "--blu-ray" wouldn't be there. That's because the mux is being done to an M2TS, not a BD structure (due to limitations in TSMUXER). The BD structure is later created by BD-RB.

Make sure OUTPUT_3D_ISO=1 is in the "[Options]" area of the INI file.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th March 2015 at 00:45.
Old 6th March 2015, 00:39   #22429  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Can you post the contents of the meta file that has it missing? I looked at the code and I can't see a way that could happen???
MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --new-audio-pes --vbr --vbv-len=500 --start-time=27000000
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC, "C:\TEMP\BD REBUILDER\WORKFILES\00003.track_4113.264", fps=23.976, contSPS
V_MPEG4/ISO/MVC, "C:\TEMP\BD REBUILDER\WORKFILES\00004.track_4114.mvc", fps=23.976, contSPS
A_DTS, "C:\TEMP\BD REBUILDER\WORKFILES\00003.track_4352.DTS", lang=deu
A_DTS, "C:\TEMP\BD REBUILDER\WORKFILES\00003.track_4353.DTS", lang=eng

Edit:
If this should make a difference: Encoding was not necessary as the original did fit onto the BD25 target.

Last edited by Sharc; 6th March 2015 at 00:44.
Old 6th March 2015, 00:54   #22430  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
If you are outputting in-mux 3D, the "--blu-ray" wouldn't be there. That's because the mux is being done to an M2TS, not a BD structure (due to limitations in TSMUXER). The BD structure is later created by BD-RB.
Yes, but I wanted to output as .ssif and I put FORCE_INMUX_3D=0 in the .ini for that purpose.

Quote:
Make sure OUTPUT_3D_ISO=1 is in the "[Options]" area of the INI file.
It's there ......

Added:
I add sometimes a comment like:
OUTPUT_3D_ISO=1 #my comment here

Could this comment be a problem?

Last edited by Sharc; 6th March 2015 at 01:02.
Old 6th March 2015, 00:59   #22431  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yes, but I wanted to output as .ssif and I put FORCE_INMUX_3D=0 in the .ini for that purpose.

It's there ......
Ok. I'll check it out and see if I can repeat it.

You are definitely in movie-only mode, right? That option only works for movie-only output.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th March 2015 at 01:01.
Old 6th March 2015, 01:04   #22432  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Ok. I'll check it out and see if I can repeat it.

You are definitely in movie-only mode, right? That option only works for movie-only output.
Yes, definitely "Movie-only Backup".

Edit:
I removed the #comment following the OUTPUT_3D_ISO=1. Now the "--blu-ray" and title get inserted....

Problem seems to be solved. Apparently the #my comment in the .ini caused the option to be discarded. Sorry for the trouble.
Are blank lines accepted in the .ini or can these also cause troubles?

Last edited by Sharc; 6th March 2015 at 01:26.
Old 6th March 2015, 01:23   #22433  |  Link
jdobbs

You can't add comments to a line, comments have to be on a line by themselves.

I just tested the 3D ISO output and it works correctly.
Old 6th March 2015, 01:28   #22434  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
You can't add comments to a line, comments have to be on a line by themselves.

I just tested the 3D ISO output and it works correctly.
Apparently yes, the comment was the problem. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
Old 6th March 2015, 01:29   #22435  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
112Kbs is pretty high for a mono track. That would be the equivalent of 224Kbs stereo. In fact I would wager that it would be transparent from the original source.

If you want to keep DTS on a BD-5/9 you can add this:

OVERRIDE_AVCHD_AUDIO_LIMIT=1

BUT!!! Be warned. Since DTS is not a part of the AVCHD specification, there will be a LOT of players that won't play back the audio. So consider carefully whether you want to create a backup that only works "for now". That's the reason this option isn't documented.
Thanks. I was going along the lines of 640kbps for 5.1 (DVD would use 320-448kbps), 320kbps for stereo (DVD is usually 160-224kbps) and then mono would be 160kbps (DVD using 96-122kbps). That said, I'll go with it since the grain suffers on this encode.

I agree about not keeping the DTS, both for future compatibility and because 768kbps for mono is crazy overkill. I was just mentioning I was surprised it played on a standalone.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 02:16   #22436  |  Link
Lathe

Just a quickie...

I have a German Blu-ray ("R-POINT") and although it is about 20 Gigs and doesn't need any shrinking, it clearly is interlaced because I can see the combing effects in motion. If I import it into BDRB, will it automatically detect that it is interlaced and know what to do? The frame rate is 29.97. Will BDRB automatically re-encode it if I set the output size as BD-25? Or do I specifically have to add AVS script to force it to do that? OR... should I set the size as slightly smaller than it is thus forcing it to re-encode due to size and THEN it automatically will also de-interlaced it?

Thanks!
Old 6th March 2015, 03:03   #22437  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Just a quickie...

I have a German Blu-ray ("R-POINT") and although it is about 20 Gigs and doesn't need any shrinking, it clearly is interlaced because I can see the combing effects in motion. If I import it into BDRB, will it automatically detect that it is interlaced and know what to do? The frame rate is 29.97. Will BDRB automatically re-encode it if I set the output size as BD-25? Or do I specifically have to add AVS script to force it to do that? OR... should I set the size as slightly smaller than it is thus forcing it to re-encode due to size and THEN it automatically will also de-interlaced it?

Thanks!
If it will fit, BD-RB would decide not to reencode it. But, you could add FORCE_ENCODE=1 to the INI and it will reencode.

Yes, it will recognize interlaced and automatically handle it.

In most cases you really don't need to deinterlace if you're playing back on a standalone -- but if you want to, just select "Use DEINTERLACER on interlaced sources" in the SETUP dialog.
Old 6th March 2015, 04:00   #22438  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
If it will fit, BD-RB would decide not to reencode it. But, you could add FORCE_ENCODE=1 to the INI and it will reencode.

Yes, it will recognize interlaced and automatically handle it.

In most cases you really don't need to deinterlace if you're playing back on a standalone -- but if you want to, just select "Use DEINTERLACER on interlaced sources" in the SETUP dialog.
Ah, very good then. You are right; my stand alone does deinterlace it as it plays. There have been some rare cases in the past where it didn't (there was some odd one once where someone encoded an interlaced source as progressive, or something like that - I think in that one case I had to use an Avisynth script specifically for 'Field De-Interlace' or somesuch...) Also, in this case, playing it with VLC I could see the combing. So, in the future, if I really need or want to re-encode it specifically to de-interlace it, I do need to force it to re-encode if the size doesn't prompt that itself. I do have the setting chosen on the setup as you said; I guess it just isn't needed very often.

Thanks!
Old 6th March 2015, 05:06   #22439  |  Link
meadrocks

Forced Subs

Quote:
That's the reason it's there. That tells me that the player doesn't see the forced subs -- so you have to turn them on. They have to be there, or BD-RB wouldn't have created the "9999" file. I can't speak to what mediainfo says -- but if it says they're not there -- it's wrong. That just means that the original BD author didn't use the "forced" flags, and created a separate PGS stream that contained the subtitles to be displayed. They were then, probably, turned on at disc start.
Is there a tool that can edit a .mkv / .mp4 file so I can change a sub to be forced, in the case of Kill Bill?
meadrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 05:43   #22440  |  Link
Chuckwagon

Quote:
Is there a tool that can edit a .mkv / .mp4 file so I can change a sub to be forced, in the case of Kill Bill?
Yes. I use mkvpropedit to set the forced sub in the mkv files I create when they don't get set for some reason. For example, with Game of Thrones episodes, there are 2 subs in the mkv (I have BDRB set to include more than 1 sub per language) when there are scenes with characters speaking foreign languages, but neither of the subs seems to be set as default and they don't display until I set the flag to default for the 2nd sub. Then it works right. The 1st sub will always display all spoken languages. For some episodes there is only 1 sub in the mkv, the "always on" sub, since there isn't any foreign language in the ep.

BDRB always seems to get the subs into the file, but the flag for defaulting the 2nd sub (forced set I assume) doesn't get set. It's easy to correct though. I've just assumed it was the way the discs are created, they do their subs in a different way.

Chuck
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote