Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 2nd July 2013, 23:31   #41  |  Link
hajj_3

meditek has support for hevc and vp9 in their future chips:

Mass production is in november so expect phones/tablets to have them early next year.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 06:48   #42  |  Link
mandarinka

These things will usually be courtesy of other IP vendors, mainly the integrated GPU.

Imagination (PowerVR GPUs) already announced their decoder, and the interesting thing is that it is supposed to be capable of Main 10 (10-bit!) + 4:4:4.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:07   #43  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I didn't think HEVC even had a 4:4:4 profile yet.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:16   #44  |  Link
RBF

Strongene HEVC/H.265 Encoder
RBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:34   #45  |  Link
fumoffu

There is also new encoder version from those guys http://code.google.com/p/x265/

I compiled the source with Visual Studio 2012, not sure if I did everything right but it seems ok. It's attached to this post if anyone wants to try it out. I'm a noobie in command line encoding (I have been doing everything in StaxRip so far) and have no idea how to use this ;P
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: rar x265.rar (64.6 KB, 118 views)
fumoffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:58   #46  |  Link
Selur

isn't that one based on some old code and 'only' HM 8.0 compatible?
Old 4th July 2013, 04:49   #47  |  Link
fumoffu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
isn't that one based on some old code and 'only' HM 8.0 compatible?
yes it seems so, not sure why because some previous previews were HM 10.1
btw. it might by silly question but what is the difference between those HM? are they backward compatible? is this different version of a draft? I can't find any info on this.
fumoffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 08:53   #48  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
it might by silly question but what is the difference between those HM?
https://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/trac/hevc/query?group=status&milestone=HM-10.1 might help to shed some light on that
(browse the changelogs of the other milestones to see the other changes since HM 8.0; since some mention 'non-conforming bitstream' I would say that the bitstream of HM 8.0 isn't always standard conform.
Old 4th July 2013, 09:19   #49  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFrame View Post
Sounds interesting, there's mentioning of a commercial version, do you know if will this be like x264 where everything is open source but there is an option to purchase a proprietary licence, or will this be two versions where the commercial one is better?

Anyway, great hearing that the x264 devs have something cooking for h265, their track record speaks for itself.
Just to note since some people seem to have trouble noting this:
The google code "x265" project has nothing to do with the x264 project, or most of its developers. It was started by a person who has a couple of commits in x264 from 2004, and looking at the repository logs it is a one-man-thing.

If there will/would be a "successor" to x264, it would be licensed under the same GPL + proprietary scheme that x264 has been licensed under for some years now. Which means that every change that goes into libx264 by a licensee must be provided to the developers, and these patches in most cases end up on a pastebin somewhere (and, if they are deemed generally useful, on the mainline repository of the project).

The idea is to not make it possible to make a closed source x264 that would be better than the GPL version. This project hosted on google code clearly goes against that idea, and mostly serves as a personal resume/CV for possible employers/buyers, with a fancy name that makes people think it's related to x264

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post
divx say they used this encoder;
https://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/svn/s.../tags/HM-10.1/
(sources)
Yes, MainConcept/DivX does have its own encoder as well, but HM was used for the currently available test clips IIRC. Reminds me that I haven't checked if their test clips actually contain Profile/Level information, as HM 10.1's example configuration files conveniently didn't have that set, and HM still was dumb enough not to warn about those fields not being set .

Missing those fields would pretty much make the stream(s) not compliant to the specification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoffu View Post
yes it seems so, not sure why because some previous previews were HM 10.1
btw. it might by silly question but what is the difference between those HM? are they backward compatible? is this different version of a draft? I can't find any info on this.
Because the person is not interested in releasing sources for his current stuff, that's all.

HM is the reference encoder/decoder implementation developed as an open source solution by multiple parties. Patches are generally welcome from all people. It usually lagged somewhat behind the current specifications (drafts), and was incompatible with the final bit stream until after the release of version 9.2. Version 10.1 was generally "OK" as long as you remembered to add the Profile and Level settings, and version 11 is the current release. Thus, an encoder that is "compatible with HM 8" hasn't been really useful for quite a while now .

I have been pushing out Win32 binaries of HM releases built with MSVS 2010 on the "available test encoders" thread, which also contain the versions of the standard configuration files for that release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBF View Post
Strongene HEVC/H.265 Encoder
I linked that on a libavcodec-related channel yesterday, and it resulted in kierank seemingly sending another angry message towards these guys.
Old 6th July 2013, 19:28   #50  |  Link
BadFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
Just to note since some people seem to have trouble noting this:
The google code "x265" project has nothing to do with the x264 project,
Ah, yes, reading my post I realize that it may come across as being confused, however I was fully aware that the 'x265' project which was linked had nothing to do with the h265 project which DarkShikari of x264 fame mentioned is being developed/planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
This project hosted on google code clearly goes against that idea, and mostly serves as a personal resume/CV for possible employers/buyers, with a fancy name that makes people think it's related to x264
Yeah, my question was directed at this project, with reference as to how the x264 devs does it (as you aptly described above), judging from what you say this project doesn't seem to follow that (x264's) principle, also a bit cheap to use the x26(x) name.

Very much looking forward to following the development of the x264 devs upcoming h265 implementation, here's hoping that in 3-4 years we can state that their h265 encoder is 'best in class' just like their h264 encoder is now.
BadFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 16:06   #51  |  Link
easyfab

Has someone any news of when the final release of the HEVC file format will be out ?
easyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 13:11   #52  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyfab View Post
Has someone any news of when the final release of the HEVC file format will be out ?
This seems to be one of the "What on earth is going on!?" kind of things right now. Last year's draft finished in the pre-final ballot in April, and there were comments published regarding it and so forth. These were published on mp4-sys. According to the documents, MPEG seems to be handling the development of this document and new versions have seemingly since been put out, but the working drafts seem to only be located on some semi-secret MPEG document tracker. So yeah, we the mere mortals are currently completely left out from the whole process so that we do not even see what the status is. Quite a setback after having such a nice experience with HEVC itself, with little to nothing being behind walls of user names and passwords.

GPAC happens to have one of the editors on board, and thus is the only OSS project that can currently implement the worked upon draft. Copying GPAC's implementations has always been an affair that one should preferably not indulge oneself in (even more so without any specifications on hand!), so all you can say from their code is that things have changed since the last public draft.

Then, in May, it is decided that 14496-15 should be renamed (as it will no longer only host AVC, but HEVC as well). A two-month ballot is initiated on the change, and it is finished in mid-July. 14496-15 was thus renamed to "NAL File Format".

And then... nothing. The Vienna File-format Meeting Report published on 2nd of August notes the following things:
  • 1.4.1 m30312 ISOMBFF extensions to allow storage of HEVC coded still images and image sequences along with other ISOMBFF compatible media
  • 1.4.2 m30313 Carriage of image sequences using HEVC-FF
  • 1.4.3 m30314 Signalling of cover pictures for HEVC-FF image sequence tracks
  • 1.4.4 m30255 Sub tracks for HEVC file format
  • 1.4.5 m30294 Describing HEVC Tiles in ISOBMFF
  • 1.4.6 m30371 Proposal to support tile access in the HEVC File Format
None of these seem to be related to basic HEVC video in a container any more. Still image sequences, subtracks (see: MVC/SVC) and other ways of giving tiles a "place" to be signalled in the container instead of just being a part of the video data. At this point, I really don't know what is going any more to be honest. Might even poke mp4-sys about all this. Mraulet, who has access to the editors via GPAC, was already saying in early July that they were trying to finish it up. Yet we do not even have a final draft yet

P.S.
My grievances are mostly with the fact that there is currently close to zero clarity to the outside world regarding the development, bundled together with the fact that there is a single software project that just happens to have the access. This leaves libavformat, L-SMASH as well as matroska-devel (yes, most people on the mailing list seem to want to use the 14496-15 amd2 extradata for Matroska, not the DivX implementation), among others, all hanging on... absolutely nothing, while others seem to be given the way to go further.
Old 18th August 2013, 07:48   #53  |  Link
easyfab

Thanks JEEB for this explanation . So no hope for a quick release.
It seems more harder to release the file format than HEVC itself.
easyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 14:34   #54  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Microsoft has published the DXVA 2.0 specifications for HEVC streams & published some tests contents...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:13   #55  |  Link
Sulik

FYI for x265 developers: there is a bug in x265 with B-frames: B-frames are incorrectly not included in the max_dec_pic_buffering value (non-compliant, even though this is currently not yet validated by the HM decoder)
Sulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:50   #56  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulik View Post
FYI for x265 developers: there is a bug in x265 with B-frames: B-frames are incorrectly not included in the max_dec_pic_buffering value (non-compliant, even though this is currently not yet validated by the HM decoder)
Bug reports should be sent directly to the x265 mailing list. Reason: neither Steve Borho nor Tom visit the Doom9 forums on a daily-basis.

https://mailman.videolan.org/listinfo/x265-devel

Last edited by filler56789; 23rd September 2013 at 07:57. Reason: add URL
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:47   #57  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
Bug reports should be sent directly to the x265 mailing list. Reason: neither Steve Borho nor Tom visit the Doom9 forums on a daily-basis.

https://mailman.videolan.org/listinfo/x265-devel
Yes, please.

x265 has undergone some fairly substantial changes in the past few weeks, with the addition of lookahead functionality, ABR rate control and frame-level parallelism. Results are very encouraging. Encoding efficiency, code quality and raw performance continue to improve every day.

Tom
Old 17th October 2013, 02:04   #58  |  Link
Marchand

Strongene Android HEVC/H.265 Decoder
Version: V2013.10.15 Release Date: 2013/10/15 Size: 6.24MB

Release Notes:
1. A demo version; 2. Adopting ffmpeg as audio-video framework, offering amended patches for ffmpeg; 3. Supporting .flv file with HEVC/H.265 stream; 4. Supporting .hevc, .hm10, .hm91, .bin and .bit format HEVC/H.265 streams; 5. The default thread setting is 1 and can be changed via application menu
Configuration:
Resolution: 480x320 pixels or above; Supporting ARMv7 CPU Architecture and NEON Multimedia Instruction Set; Supporting Android 2.3 or higher

http://xhevc.com/resouce/Strongene_L...2013_10_15.rar

Strongene iOS HEVC/H.265 Decoder
Version: V2013.10.15 Release: 2013/10/15 Size: 1.53MB

Release Notes:
1. A demo version; 2. Adopting ffmpeg as audio-video framework, offering amended patches for ffmpeg; 3. Supporting .flv file with HEVC/H.265 stream; 4. Supporting .hevc, .hm10, .hm91, .bin and .bit format HEVC/H.265 streams; 5. The default thread setting is 1 and can be changed via application menu
Configuration:
Compatible with iphone and ipad; Supporting iOS 6.0 or higher

http://xhevc.com/resouce/Strongene_L...2013_10_15.rar
Marchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 12:34   #59  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Since yesterday, the current FFmpeg branch now supports HEVC decoder/demuxer streams...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 13:57   #60  |  Link
VFR maniac
Spinner of yarns

What way is used to encapsulate HEVC into FLV?
As far as I know, the specification is not published by Adobe.
I'll add the support of HEVC-in-FLV into ffmpeg/libav if available.

Tags
decoder, encoder, h.265, hevc, open-source