Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 28th September 2018, 12:28   #52801  |  Link
ryrynz
Registered User
 
ryrynz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,203
Yeah the "fix" is to select 12bpc cos they don't do 10.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 12:31   #52802  |  Link
Sunset1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
As far as I know, You can't disable ABL but there is a feature called ASBL which can be disabled and If I am not wrong it applies only on static image displayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
from memory ABL isnt actually called ABL and ABSL is something completely different, mine is definately disabled, if I get time i'll look into this and confirm which option needs to be disabled, unless anyone can remember?
ASBL is a function to dimm the brightness of static screen parts like logos. This can be disabled via the service menu. I thin on 2018 oleds there is an option for that in the settings, too.

ABL is the function to limit the overall brightness of the screen (mainly to limit the power consumption) and can't be disabled. But you can get rid of it by calibrating the display to a value under the maximum fullscreen brightness. If a oled is able to do 160 nits on a 100% fullscreen window, you could calaibrate the max brightness to 140-160 nits and then abl will never jump in.
__________________
Intel i5 6600, 16 GB DDR4, AMD Vega RX56 8 GB, Windows 10 x64, Kodi DS Player 17.6, MadVR (x64), LAV Filters (x64), XySubfilter .746 (x64)
LG 4K OLED (65C8D), Denon X-4200 AVR, Dali Zensor 5.1 Set
Sunset1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 12:33   #52803  |  Link
pantagruel68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
ok thanks! that what I did. it's weird they don't do 10 bit in RGB but only in ycbcr
pantagruel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 12:33   #52804  |  Link
ryrynz
Registered User
 
ryrynz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,203
Sounds like MicroLED is gonna be a godsend when it finally arrives..
It's probably more efficient to output in 12bpc? Someone here will have the answer to that.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 12:40   #52805  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
ASBL is a function to dimm the brightness of static screen parts like logos. This can be disabled via the service menu. I thin on 2018 oleds there is an option for that in the settings, too.

ABL is the function to limit the overall brightness of the screen (mainly to limit the power consumption) and can't be disabled. But you can get rid of it by calibrating the display to a value under the maximum fullscreen brightness. If a oled is able to do 160 nits on a 100% fullscreen window, you could calaibrate the max brightness to 140-160 nits and then abl will never jump in.
HI, perhaps this is later panel, I have DEFINATELY have ABL disabled mate.

I'll see if I can find the discussion about this and get some details.
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 12:44   #52806  |  Link
blu3wh0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
HI, perhaps this is later panel, I have DEFINATELY have ABL disabled mate.

I'll see if I can find the discussion about this and get some details.
For at least LG OLED 2016+, ABL cannot be disabled, only ASBL.
blu3wh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 13:03   #52807  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
the issue I had was the whole panel would suddenly dim in a movie less often but mostly on web sites in windows, this was super annoying, this is ABL, since disabling this it no longer happens.

looks like i did it later than I thought, here is the the discussion back in 2016

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...#post-24331874
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 13:22   #52808  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
For at least LG OLED 2016+, ABL cannot be disabled, only ASBL.
I could be misremembering this I guess but my panel stopped full panel dimming when I disabled TPC, the whole panel would dim randomly mainly in windows on websites, I never noticed in movies but it was the whole panel not just elements on the screen.

EDIT, further conversations suggest OLED 55-60 defeats ABL on my panel, i'll have a look at the weekend. Mine is currently set to 60
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit

Last edited by mclingo; 28th September 2018 at 13:28.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 13:39   #52809  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Sounds like MicroLED is gonna be a godsend when it finally arrives..
It's probably more efficient to output in 12bpc? Someone here will have the answer to that.
yeah that will definitely be on my shopping list but i wont be buying first GEN this time, i'll wait for A) bugs to be worked out B) prices to become reasonable.
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 14:01   #52810  |  Link
madjock
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 221
I remember when this used to be a madVR Thread

Those were the days.

madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 14:11   #52811  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
yeah, we've taken up far too much of this thread with this apologies.
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 14:59   #52812  |  Link
Sunset1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantagruel68 View Post
ok thanks! that what I did. it's weird they don't do 10 bit in RGB but only in ycbcr
really? where did you got that from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
HI, perhaps this is later panel, I have DEFINATELY have ABL disabled mate.

I'll see if I can find the discussion about this and get some details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
For at least LG OLED 2016+, ABL cannot be disabled, only ASBL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
the issue I had was the whole panel would suddenly dim in a movie less often but mostly on web sites in windows, this was super annoying, this is ABL, since disabling this it no longer happens.

looks like i did it later than I thought, here is the the discussion back in 2016

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...#post-24331874
Yeah, this dimming in static elemts is ASBL. It is deactivated by the TPM option in the service menu. ABL is defeated by a low oled light setting (or calibration) like you said. Mine is calibrated to 140 nits, means a setting of 35 oled light.


I wonder how I could further improve picture quality on my 2018 C8 oled with madvr.

PC mode on lg oleds only work in 4:4:4 in 60hz mode and only when input is labeled "PC". in 23/24hz mode it wil not work in 4:4:4 RGB.

That they are only 8 bit in RBG is new to me.

My setup is GPU RGB 4:4:4, madvr 0-255 and tv set to Blacklevel high.

Maybe I should try ycbcr, but that should be one more conversion step...

I tried to find a good solution for hdr files. Experimented a bit with the new .16 build but couldn't find a good setting for now.

If there are more oled/madvr user, maybe we can open a new oled/madvr thread were we can exchange settings and impressions...
__________________
Intel i5 6600, 16 GB DDR4, AMD Vega RX56 8 GB, Windows 10 x64, Kodi DS Player 17.6, MadVR (x64), LAV Filters (x64), XySubfilter .746 (x64)
LG 4K OLED (65C8D), Denon X-4200 AVR, Dali Zensor 5.1 Set

Last edited by Sunset1982; 28th September 2018 at 15:05.
Sunset1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 15:11   #52813  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
another thread I think if people want to discuss this further, i'd be interested to know how ive managed to get rid of ABL on mine with my OLED light at 60.
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 15:18   #52814  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...85#post1853185


New thread here, if it gets used enough it may get sticky.
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 16:23   #52815  |  Link
famasfilms
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post

That they are only 8 bit in RBG is new to me.

I believe to select 12 bit on an LG OLED then you have to be playing a movie, have madVR display mode switching active, then alt tab to Nvidia control panel and select 12 bit.

That's how I do it anyway
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 16:30   #52816  |  Link
mytbyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Sounds like MicroLED is gonna be a godsend when it finally arrives..
It's probably more efficient to output in 12bpc? Someone here will have the answer to that.
What leads you to believe that? Industry insiders claim it's niche only and will stay niche, they will never be able to bring LED subpixels down to the size required for smaller screens at marketable price...

Last edited by mytbyte; 28th September 2018 at 16:32.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 17:38   #52817  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 9,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
What leads you to believe that? Industry insiders claim it's niche only and will stay niche, they will never be able to bring LED subpixels down to the size required for smaller screens at marketable price...
"Smaller screens" as in what? The funny thing about display technology is that the resolutions don't really change much these days, only size does.

So we have 4K smart phone displays in 5", and 4K TVs in >50". Maybe it won't work in smartphones, but TVs is quite another ballpark entirely.
__________________
LAV Filters - open source ffmpeg based media splitter and decoders
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 17:46   #52818  |  Link
mclingo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 830
there is a physical limitation in size that micro LEDs can drop to apparently as they currently have to installed one by one by robots and according to some sources this just isnt possible at the small scales to produce at 40-65 inch main stream TV, have read that a few places.

maybe they will find some way of 3d printing them.


https://www.tomsguide.com/us/micro-l...view-5282.html
__________________
OLED EF950-YAMAHA RX-V685-Win101809-4K 444 RGB 60hz-AMD RX580 19.9.2
KODI DS - MAD/LAV 92.14/0.74.1 - 3D / DIRECT3D11 / MADVR 10bit
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 20:21   #52819  |  Link
YGPMOLE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
The nit value to use into the "target nit" box in madVR should be exactly the amount of the nit value the TV is capable of, am I right?

Does exist some sort of conversion table of that value for PJs, due to the fact in this case we are talking about Lux and reflecting screen, not of emitting display? Or even an aproximative suggestion?

If I well recall, the madVR default is 200 nit for PJs and 400 for digital display: are this for a correct calibration according to the HDR standard nit target?
__________________
Best Regards! Leo!
YGPMOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 20:54   #52820  |  Link
mytbyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
The nit value to use into the "target nit" box in madVR should be exactly the amount of the nit value the TV is capable of, am I right?

Does exist some sort of conversion table of that value for PJs, due to the fact in this case we are talking about Lux and reflecting screen, not of emitting display? Or even an aproximative suggestion?

If I well recall, the madVR default is 200 nit for PJs and 400 for digital display: are this for a correct calibration according to the HDR standard nit target?
yes, target nits should be the measured nits of the brightness of 100% brightness pattern...this is a bit tricky when it comes to plasma

I'm pretty sure the default target is 200 for TVs/monitors as well if you "let MadVR decide"...I don't know of any table for lux to reflected nits conversion but it surely should take distance to screen and screen gain into account as well as other factors specific to different projectors, which is a stretch, so you'll have to assume nit value of a typical projector with the given lumen output, a couple of tens of nits of difference are really not that impactful, IMHO.

Last edited by mytbyte; 28th September 2018 at 21:07.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.