Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 10th January 2012, 08:14   #1  |  Link
MrVideo

1080i29.97 to 1080p25

There is an experiment that I'd like to try. The reference source is the ITV series Downton Abbey, as aired via PBS here in the states.

As the title indicates, I'd like to see if I can get it back to 25p. NBCU is the production company and those airheads have decided to not create a 1080i25 Blu-ray release, instead for both series releases, a butchered 29.97 release.

In any event, what would be the best filters to try and diddle with to get it back to 25p?

If a short video sample is necessary, with a lot of motion, I can provide said short sample and place it on my server for downloading.

I am not an AVISynth guru, simply a novice, hence the asking of help from those who do know the filters that are available.

Thanks.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 12:16   #2  |  Link
ajk

It depends on how the conversion has been done. A sample would indeed help.
ajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 14:37   #3  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

it should be relatively easy If they did 25 fps (slowdown) -> 23.976[p] fps (Telecine) -> 29.97[i] fps . However I suspect that they chose probably a "more pro" way
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 08:28   #4  |  Link
MrVideo

Sorry about not responding sooner. The editing program I use decided to puke on itself. After I finally got it working, I was behind on my editing.

And yes, a professional engineering who lives in the U.K. surmises that slowdown was not used and that a more expensive piece of gear was used .

The sample is at: http://vidiot.com/DowntonAbbey-Sample.ts
Old 11th January 2012, 10:54   #5  |  Link
ajk

I'm at work and only have limited avisynth capabilities at the moment, but I did a quick SeparateFields() and examined the output. I don't see any blended fields or obvious motion compensation traces, just clean fields with either 2 or 3 repeats. I did a quick count of the separate images within 60 fields and it looks like the source frame rate could be 23.976. Seems like a pretty regular IVTC case to me (and afterwards a conversion to 25 fps if that was the desired target), perhaps someone else can double-check.

Last edited by ajk; 11th January 2012 at 11:00.
ajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 18:09   #6  |  Link
MrVideo

If you put the sample into a video editor that shows each field of the frame, without deinterlacing, then you'd see that the normal 2:3 pulldown pattern does not exist. Normally one would see what looks like three progressive frames followed by two frames with different images. In this case there can be two to four fields that look progressive and three to four mixed field frames.

It is most definitely not 2:3 pulldown. I wish it were.
Old 11th January 2012, 18:56   #7  |  Link
Didée

PAL-to-NTSC Pulldown is 2:3:2:2:3

The simple way is this:

tfm() .tdecimate(cycle=30,cycleR=5)

Which leaves you, of course, with a 24.975 fps PAL video instead of 25.0.

From the short sample it can not be told if they pulled 25.0 to 29.97 directly, or if the 25.0 were first slowed down to 24.975, and then pulled to 29.97.

You need to count about 2000 fields to be sure.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 19:42   #8  |  Link
MrVideo

OK, here are two more samples, about 80 MB each, both containing a little over 1100 frames.

http://vidiot.com/DowntonAbbey-Sample-2.ts
http://vidiot.com/DowntonAbbey-Sample-3.ts
Old 11th January 2012, 21:20   #9  |  Link
Didée

Probably a misunderstanding. With
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
You need to count about 2000 fields to be sure.
, I meant the you-you, not the someone-you. And definetly not the me-you.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 21:49   #10  |  Link
MrVideo

Sorry. I was planning on running a test on a long segment of the program. The computer I use for rendering has been busy catching up on other stuff.

I figured that you had your AVS script already written, that you ran the initial sample through it and would be easy to run a longer segment.

My piece of code segment will be more like:

Code:
tfm()
tdecimate(cycle=30,cycleR=5)
I'm not sure what the period before tdecimate does, as I put each entry on its own line.
Old 11th January 2012, 22:48   #11  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

:Edit: The period is the chaining operator, the result is the same

To clarify what Didée said, when using a PAL-to-NTSC Pulldown pattern of 2:3:2:2:3 the result is 25*6/5=30 fps which is 1.001 times slightly to fast for true NTSC.

There are 2 common solutions that get used :-

1. Slow the input PAL source down 0.1% to 24.975 fps. This results in a stable 2:3:2:2:3 pattern for the whole video.

2. Do not triple duplicate one set of fields every 1001 fields. This results in an astable 2:3:2:2:3...2:3:2:2:3:2:2:2:2:3:2:3:2:2:3...2:3:2:2:3 pattern with each 84th group being a 2:2:2:2:3 pattern.

So you, MrVideo, need to check the result is still matching correctly after 1001 frames and then after 2002 frames. If they used case 1 everything is simple, if they used case 2 things become a slight PITA and your script needs to handle a 1001 field cycle as well as the 12 field cycle.

Last edited by IanB; 11th January 2012 at 22:51.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 23:03   #12  |  Link
MrVideo

Thanks for the info on the period.

If case #2 is indeed used, I wouldn't have a clue as to what to write as a script. But, we'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now the render boc is busy so I can't test.

The other issue is to what to do with the Masterpiece intro that is before the program and the 29.97 credits that are at the end.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:23   #13  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Yes no need to worry until you have to

With the intro, UMM? Leave it, convert it bash, convert it with MTools, hard choices.

With credits, maybe slow down to 25 fps and repeat verses of the theme music to keep the length compatible.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 23:51   #14  |  Link
MrVideo

I'm thinking of just letting it all run through the conversion. The intro is just talking head stuff anyway. So what if she looks a little funny at a different frame rate
Old 12th January 2012, 03:16   #15  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
The other issue is to what to do with the Masterpiece intro that is before the program and the 29.97 credits that are at the end.
Have you said what the output format is to be? If for NTSC DVD just encode the intro and the credits at their correct framerates and join all three sections when authoring with Muxman. If they all output 29.97fps, then it's no problem.

And practically, in my opinion, I don't think you have to worry about any possible extra frames when decimating. The:

tfm() .tdecimate(cycle=30,cycleR=5)

should work fine. And again, if for DVD, just run DGPulldown when done for 24.975->29.97fps.

Last edited by manono; 12th January 2012 at 03:19.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 03:30   #16  |  Link
MrVideo

I don't want to sound elitist, but DVD? Everything I do these days is HD. I haven't decided if I'll author to Blu-ray or wrap in MKV for viewing.
Old 12th January 2012, 04:34   #17  |  Link
manono

That's OK, you can sound elitist.

You didn't say what the the intro is like, but for interlaced 29.97fps credits something like:

AssumeTFF()
Yadif(Mode=1)
ChangeFPS(49.95) #twice the 24.975, or use 50 if making it true 25fps
AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,0,3)
Weave()

should keep it interlaced at 24.975fps and playing reasonably smoothly.
Old 12th January 2012, 04:56   #18  |  Link
MrVideo

I'm doing a test coding at the moment of just less than 15k frames

@manono:

As I'm working on converting to 24.975p, keeping the intro interlaced would end up not matching the rest of the project. I'm assuming that the Weave() would be dropped?
Old 12th January 2012, 05:38   #19  |  Link
manono

Oh, I see, you want to make the whole thing progressive. That script I gave above makes interlaced 24.975fps of the end credits. So, maybe:

QTGMC( Preset="Medium")
ChangeFPS(24.975)

for the end credits. But you'll have problems whatever you do (unless doing it with frame interpolation, which may present new problems) and those credits won't play entirely smoothly. But we still don't know what the intro is like. Is it interlaced 29.97fps like the end credits or something else? IanB alluded to the problem earlier. And maybe now one begins to understand why the Blu-Ray was created as it was, if they had to use the same opening and end credits.
Old 12th January 2012, 06:05   #20  |  Link
MrVideo

@manono:

I don't know if you watch PBS, or not, but as a network they are 1080i, though there are affiliates that downconvert to 720p because of multiple SD subchannels making 1080i look like crap. The opening Masterpiece Classic sequence is shot using 1080i video.

So, both the opening sequence and closing credits are 1080i.

What is released on Blu-ray does not contain any of the Masterpiece Classic pieces of video. The retail releases only use program material. AIUI, the retail releases use the original air edits used in the U.K. Just not 1080i25 in the U.K.

Have you seen the credits that WGBH creates for Masterpiece? The scrolling credits are small and go by so fast that the interlacing sucks. I do not care if they get speed butchered. As for the opening sequence, the talking head isn't moving much. The motion is contained in the Masterpiece opening credit sequence.

I don't see how the two new lines of code fit into what you previously listed. Like I said, I'm a novice at AVS scripting and have a lot to learn.

Thanks.