Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 4th April 2015, 12:20   #1  |  Link
hopstiii

Attention AAC

Hey everybody how are you doing.

I want to share my frustration about movie rips with AAC audio.
A good 25% of rips with AAC audio won'd demux and decode properly. The video will froze, skip frame and stutter like crazy.
It's been many years like that in MPC-HC and VLC.

Extracting the container, and reencoding audio to flac, PCM or MP3, then muxing into mkv fixes the problem. But the extracting takes good 15 minutes.

There is no problem with FLAC, PCM, AC3 and the decoding is silky smooth. I have never had problems with AC3 rips.

Just had to get it off my chest.
hopstiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 13:07   #2  |  Link
Andouille
Registered sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopstiii View Post
movie rips with AAC audio
Such things do not exist.
AAC is not standard for DVD, BD, VCD...
I vote you had a nightmare last night...
Andouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 13:33   #3  |  Link
hopstiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andouille View Post
Such things do not exist.
AAC is not standard for DVD, BD, VCD...
I vote you had a nightmare last night...
What would be better name? Blu-Ray backup re-encode.
Old 6th April 2015, 02:31   #4  |  Link
kuchikirukia

No clue. VLC and MPC-HC shouldn't share anything in common when it comes to AAC. Maybe Haali media splitter is installed and somehow messing things up?

Try uninstalling everything that looks like it could be related and installing CCCP, which will give you MPC-HC with madVR and hopefully overwrite whatever settings are screwing up your AAC.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 08:46   #5  |  Link
detmek

I exclusively use AAC as audio format for all my encodes and it works just fine. Never had any problems. Same with "other sources".
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 09:51   #6  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Extracting the container, and reencoding audio to flac, PCM or MP3, then muxing into mkv fixes the problem. But the extracting takes good 15 minutes.
Why would you re-encode AAC to flac/PCM/MP3? Why not use your original files from the BD?
If you don't tell us your work flow to create these "blu ray backups", your rant is pretty much pointless.

If you are however talking about downloaded material that has been created by idiots - check forum rule #6.
Old 6th April 2015, 16:37   #7  |  Link
hopstiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
No clue. VLC and MPC-HC shouldn't share anything in common when it comes to AAC. Maybe Haali media splitter is installed and somehow messing things up?

Try uninstalling everything that looks like it could be related and installing CCCP, which will give you MPC-HC with madVR and hopefully overwrite whatever settings are screwing up your AAC.
I have very minimal from k lite mega codec pack installed (x264 encoder for virtualdub, huffyuv, lagarith). VLC and MPC-HC i install separately.

Last time i had problem with AAC in MP4 container. The mkvmerge GUI was dead slow to extract and remux. Then it warned about VBR AAC and possible problems with decoding.
Old 6th April 2015, 18:43   #8  |  Link
kuchikirukia

Quote:
k lite mega codec pack installed
K-Lite Mega installs a ton of crap. It may be trying to use ffdshow along with LAV or there may be an incompatibility with DC-Bass Source Mod which hasn't been updated since 2013. There's nothing about AAC itself that should make it not work on your system. There has to be a conflict or broken software somewhere.

You can get MPC-HC with madVR in Standard. Not sure if MPC-HC supports huffyuv and lagarith out of the box, so if you need those you'll have to look into it. But uninstall the Mega and get something without so many splitters and filters.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, problem