Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 22nd November 2009, 04:08   #1  |  Link
sampalmer21

vc-1 encoded avchd

Are there any standalone blu-ray players that support avchd with a vc-1 video stream? (other than the ps3 that is).
sampalmer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 10:01   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

As it infringes the standard I think not. But I never tested, so wonders can happen...
However, you can convert them into a BD structure (multiavchd, tsmuxer etc.) which has a very good compatibility (except of course the Panasonics).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 03:46   #3  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Isn't it AVCHD?

I don't think the standard actually supports VC-1, but I assume all standalone BluRay players with AVCHD support also support VC-1 decoding. Whether or not this will actually work from AVCHD file structures is another question

~MiSfit
Old 25th November 2009, 08:55   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

AVCHD is a consumer format. A "consumer grade" user has access only to a single video, single audio (most probably 2 channels only) and no subtitles (you, know, camcorder files). The codec is supposed to be H.264 as MPEG-2 is outdated and VC-1 is not for consumers.

Therefore, even if the players are capable of decoding VC-1 (they should, as it's part of BD specs), they are probably legally forced to not allow the playback of VC-1 in AVCHD format. If there's no legal constraint, then come the licence costs - why would a company spend money to support a something that not even is standardized? Imagine also the support section dealing with frustrated customers ...

PS: I remember the days when DVDRs cost like BDRs last year. My mom's JVC could do then only VCD and DVD (it supported DVDR as well, wow), so the only way of getting "high definition" movies on her TV was to remux the SVCDs into MPEG-1 specs (highly illegal) - the JVC played them flawlessly. However, this trick didn't work with any DVD player that natively supported SVCD (I tried some 5-6).
The moral of this story is that if you create out-of-standard disks, be prepared to use them only on particular players if any. It's at its most a custom-taylored solution, not an universal one.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:53   #5  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

AVCHD supports up to 6ch (5.1) AC3 audio and up to 8ch (7.1) LPCM audio and subtitles (camcoders use PGS streams for time display or the recordings).

VC-1 although out-of-specs is supported in all Sony BD players.

AVCHD is not just a consumer format, it is also prosumer, advertised as AVCCAM by Panasonic with their high range camcoders (like AG-HMC150)

Also AVCREC is based on AVCHD and BDMV and is something in the middle of both... allowing higher bitrates than AVCHD and supporting MPEG-2 and H.264/AVC.

Last edited by deank; 25th November 2009 at 10:59.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 17:26   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
AVCCAM is Panasonic Broadcast’s professional implementation of AVCHD.
Capitalizing on the success of the consumer AVCHD format, Panasonic is able to bring professional features to AVCHD at very affordable prices. The fact that you can reuse the SDHC card over and over again substantially reduces the cost of acquisition versus tape- or disc-based camcorders.
Panasonic web site

As I said before, you don't need angles, PIP, subtitles or more than 1 track (of x channels) when recording with a camcorder.

Remember, DV was also (and still is) a consumer format, but was so good that was either adopted as such or with a small modification (track size was increased to 15 microns, to avoid the dropouts) by the professionals (DV, DVCAM, DVCPro).
Old 25th November 2009, 18:07   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

With all the technical back and forth in the last few posts to this thread, I believe the following simple statement by "deank" answeres the OP's question:
Quote:
VC-1 although out-of-specs is supported in all Sony BD players.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote