Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 10th August 2010, 16:21   #161  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
The last couple of hours I learned the hard way that dgavc does not work on x64 Avisynth. I already ripped GIGs of movie titles to hard disk as raw h264 stream to use with dgavc (as I used to with my old XP x86 sys). Is there any other way to index raw AVC streams?
You can use DGDecNV 64-bit.

If you don't have an Nvidia card already, you can install a cheap 8400GS alongside your existing card.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 16:57   #162  |  Link
Lyle_JP
Unreasonable User

Quote:
The last couple of hours I learned the hard way that dgavc does not work on x64 Avisynth. I already ripped GIGs of movie titles to hard disk as raw h264 stream to use with dgavc (as I used to with my old XP x86 sys). Is there any other way to index raw AVC streams? Or do I have to remux all my already ripped titles back into a container to use with FFMSIndex? Is FFMSindex a good method to use (at the moment?)
You could use DirectShowSource, as long as you install the Win7 Codec Tweaker, ffdshow, and haali splitter.
Lyle_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:10   #163  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
You can use DGDecNV 64-bit.

If you don't have an Nvidia card already, you can install a cheap 8400GS alongside your existing card.
HM. At the moment system uses onboard AMD IGP. To be frank when I ordered the parts I had no plans to switch to Win7 x64 but I read a couple of threads here including this one and thought I'll give it a try.^^

Probably stupid question, but are there any differences in quality between these indexing methods? Or is it first of all a matter of speed? To be honest, I don't understand the detail of this indexing process at all. Logic tells me that it could not affect quality until indexing is not meant in the matter of just finding desired information in the source file. Multiple ways lead to Rome, right?

I never thought about GPU indexing, but if it comes with a noticeable speed increase, why not. Is a 8400 fast enough for this task or would a more expensive card speed up things further more?
LeXXuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:21   #164  |  Link

Quote:
Probably stupid question, but are there any differences in quality between these indexing methods? Or is it first of all a matter of speed? To be honest, I don't understand the detail of this indexing process at all. Logic tells me that it could not affect quality until indexing is not meant in the matter of just finding desired information in the source file. Multiple ways lead to Rome, right?
Not quite right. DG tools are designed from the ground up for frame accuracy. DSS2() and the others are not and run into issues in several common scenarios. For example, they might serve the correct frame's data, but it shows artifacts because the source filter has not injected the needed SPS/PPS. Or they can simply deliver the wrong frame's data because the timestamps are not perfectly monotonic. Or they get screwed up by trim() in your script. If you need assured accurate random frame access, then DG tools are the way to go. DISCLAIMER: I have an interest in the DG tools. But you can find similar assessments by others on the web.

Quote:
I never thought about GPU indexing, but if it comes with a noticeable speed increase, why not. Is a 8400 fast enough for this task or would a more expensive card speed up things further more?
The indexing is not done on the GPU. Decoding the video is done on the GPU. So the Avisynth source filter's workload is offloaded to the GPU. Indexing simply enables frame accuracy in the source filter.

For purely decoding, a fast CPU can beat the GPU (although Fermi is starting to challenge that wisdom). But in the vast majority of cases where Avisynth is used, the user is *transcoding* and the decoding rate is not the bottleneck, so offloading the decode to the GPU can give an overall performance gain to the transcoding operation by leaving more CPU bandwidth for the encoder.

The Fermi cards will outperform the 8400GS but are MUCH more expensive. The 8400GS has a VP3 engine and is very fast; it's the current sweet spot for price/performance. Refer to the DGDecNV Benchmarking thread for more details.

Last edited by Guest; 10th August 2010 at 17:29.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:18   #165  |  Link
Gser

Btw if anyone is looking at an ati 4870 or 4970, they take two power inputs (same as a normal SLI/Crossfire configuration would). So if you want to add a second gfx card, you need a quad (or tri) gfx card config supporting power supply.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 18:27   #166  |  Link
mariush

Not really, you can get adapters which convert a regular hard drive connector to the connectors video cards use. As long as the power supply has enough power to feed both cards (I'd say 650 watts and up) you're good.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 19:49   #167  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Not quite right. DG tools are designed from the ground up for frame accuracy. DSS2() and the others are not and run into issues in several common scenarios.
Thanks a lot for that explanation neuron2. That explains a lot of things I stumbled over in the past.

Quote:
But in the vast majority of cases where Avisynth is used, the user is *transcoding* and the decoding rate is not the bottleneck, so offloading the decode to the GPU can give an overall performance gain to the transcoding operation by leaving more CPU bandwidth for the encoder.
Okay, so for my purposes as a transcoding scenario the 8400GS is more than fast enough that I would not gain any more speed increase from a faster card, right?
Is there anything more I have to watch out for like memory size or bandwith (DDR2, DDR3) or can I just go and buy any 8400 GPU based card I find?
LeXXuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 20:52   #168  |  Link

Any 8400GS will be OK. The more memory you have the more filter instances you can create.

Just get the best 8400 GS you can afford. Or if money is not an issue, get a Fermi.
Old 19th August 2010, 19:20   #169  |  Link
Ezekeel

Hi there,

first of all: nice work on the x64 build!

But i have a problem: Whenever i start encoding a video with x264, sooner or later i get this error:

if i "close the program" it disappears, but the fps drops from 80-90 fps to 12 fps (1st pass).

Any idea what that could be?
Ezekeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 19:50   #170  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

encoder crashed. check your AVS script in your favourite directshow media player and see if it can be played (from the beginning to the end) without crashes.
also, check your system for stability, expecially if you overclocked the CPU, RAM or Videocard.
most ppl wrongly assume their system is stable coz every other app works without crashing... but when it comes to x264 it crashes...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 19th August 2010 at 19:54.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 15:14   #171  |  Link
Ezekeel

Thanks, seems to work now, after i raised the vcore a little bit.
Funny, that Prim95 or Orthos found no Errors after 10 hours of testing and x264 crashed in a few minutes. :-)
Ezekeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 03:00   #172  |  Link
Chumbo

I'd like to request a feature please. Right now when you open a TS file and select File Indexer, when you choose FFMSIndex, you get the dialog warning "Please use a MKV, AVI, MP4 or FLV container to index files with the FFMS2 indexer." Since we can't use DGAVCIndex in 64 bit, would you please consider adding TS support since ffmsindex does index TS files.

I basically do this manually now, i.e., I index the source TS file, create the AVS script and then load into megui64. Thanks a lot for considering adding this.
Old 24th August 2010, 03:21   #173  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

please post feature requests here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...12&atid=798479
Old 24th August 2010, 19:09   #174  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
I'd like to request a feature please. Right now when you open a TS file and select File Indexer, when you choose FFMSIndex, you get the dialog warning "Please use a MKV, AVI, MP4 or FLV container to index files with the FFMS2 indexer." Since we can't use DGAVCIndex in 64 bit, would you please consider adding TS support since ffmsindex does index TS files.
Indexing TS files is already supported. Just ignore the warning and proceed with the indexing process. The warning is there because of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ffmpegsource.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/ffms2-avisynth.html
Compatibility
* AVI, MKV, MP4, FLV: Frame accurate
* WMV: Frame accurate(?) but avformat seems to pick keyframes relatively far away
* OGM: Frame accurate(?)
* VOB, MPG: Seeking seems to be off by one or two frames now and then
* M2TS, TS: Seeking seems to be off a few frames here and there
* Image files: Most formats can be opened if seekmode=-1 is set, no animation support
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 14:41   #175  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

new FFMS2 plugin for megui x64 dev (thanks to kemuri9).
now 32bit and 64bit versions of megui should be both able to manipulate MKVs with header compression enabled.
Old 26th August 2010, 00:27   #176  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
Thank you, will do.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:13   #177  |  Link
rubinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
As of now the following x64 tools are available on the development update server:
x264, mediainfo, avisynthwrapper, dgindex/dgdecode, ffms, colormatrix, tdeint, tivtc, eedi2, leakkerneldeint, undot, mp4box, vsfilter, aften, ffmpeg, yadiff, nicaudio

These avisynth plugins need to be replaced with x64 builds:
convolution3dyv12, fluxsmooth, decomb, tomsmocomp, dgavcdec, dgindexnv
Until these plugins are updated it is not possible to use them. MeGUI may crash if using the old x86 dlls.
Sorry of my ignorance, but where to download these tools/plugins? I cant find the development server...

Thanks for info.
rubinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 16:03   #178  |  Link
Chumbo

Try using the Search and enter "megui development server" and you'll be amazed at what you'll find.
Old 10th September 2010, 23:33   #179  |  Link
GRKNGLR

Hi,

I'm kind of a noob, so keep your patience please... Isn't it possible to run MeGUI on an x64 system without Avisynth64 and ffdshow-tryout x64? On my Win7 x64 system with 32-bit MeGUI, Avisynth and ffdshow-tryout, x264_64.exe and vfw4x264.exe works pretty well. Are the any side effects of using those like this?
GRKNGLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 03:39   #180  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

no. except the fact all 32 bit apps have a 2 GB memory barrier.
some times, when using heavy filtering and/or HD sources avisynth may require more than 2 GB and that obviously makes avisynth 32 crash.