Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 21st July 2010, 10:38   #21  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
I think you misunderstood me. Adjusting the brightness down will collapse near blacks to black, the further down you take the brighness the more grey levels will turn to black.
Greyscale bars would show this effect perfectly.
Yes, I realise this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
However, the brightness control will bring the white level down but the whites that have been clipped will still be clipped.
No, they shouldn't be. This (in theory) is what the display's contrast setting is for.
TinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 17:24   #22  |  Link
Lyle_JP
Unreasonable User

Not all NTSC devices use TV Scale though. I seem to recall that in Japan, their NTCS standard included the whole 0-255 range. I know that many import laserdisc players would output signals at a different brightness than their domestic counterparts.
Lyle_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 19:09   #23  |  Link
rotty

Clipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
Yes, I realise this.

No, they shouldn't be. This (in theory) is what the display's contrast setting is for.
If the contrast (gain control) is the first stage in v.amp then yes, but clipping is done normally at least one stage back and the user gain control is usually well after this.
rotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 21:10   #24  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post
Not all NTSC devices use TV Scale though. I seem to recall that in Japan, their NTCS standard included the whole 0-255 range. I know that many import laserdisc players would output signals at a different brightness than their domestic counterparts.
AFAIK NTSC Japan differs from NTSC USA in that no pedestal (setup) is present.

Most NTSC gear also has the possibility of eliminating the pedestal, which slightly alters the brightness, and only the digital gear with digital connections to digital TVs (eg HDMI) can be set to full scale or TV scale.

The best tests are always the test disks many providers publish (pick the gray scale test or similar), like Burosch or HQV.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote