Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th January 2014, 06:43   #18901  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsrfr View Post
You bet - I appreciate your alacrity!

So, the season 3 files were wiped, but I had the same behavior on season 8. There were 2 acs files per episode, let me know if you want anything else!

VID_00001.AVS contents:
#Created by BD Rebuilder - v0.46.03 (beta)
DirectshowSource("F:\BDS\SIMP_S8\IMPORTS\SIMPSONS_S7\BDMV\STREAM\00001.m2ts", fps=29.97, framecount=41999, ConvertFPS=true, audio=false)
ConvertToYV12()
LoadPlugin("C:\Temp\Software\BD_Rebuilder\tools\decomb521.dll")
FieldDeinterlace(blend=true)
ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(30000,1001)

AUD_00001_4352.AVS contents:
#Created by BD Rebuilder - v0.46.03 (beta)
LoadPlugin("C:\Temp\Software\BD_Rebuilder\tools\nicaudio.dll")
audio=NicAC3Source("00001.track_4352.ac3")
audio = (AudioChannels(audio) > 6) ? GetChannel(audio,1,2,3,4,7,8) : audio
ConvertAudioTo16bit(ResampleAudio(audio, 48000))
It looks right. The "convertfps=true" statement should have corrected the hybrid stream.

I guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one of those discs so I can run some in-depth tests.
Old 20th January 2014, 17:19   #18902  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It looks right. The "convertfps=true" statement should have corrected the hybrid stream.

I guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one of those discs so I can run some in-depth tests.
I suspect if you can fix his problem, it may correct mine. It's not often that I convert from DVD to BD, so I never mentioned anything. I too, had major sync issues. But so did Multiavchd. I never tried decoding with DGDecNV though. (That recently corrected an issue I was having.)
Old 20th January 2014, 17:45   #18903  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
I suspect if you can fix his problem, it may correct mine. It's not often that I convert from DVD to BD, so I never mentioned anything. I too, had major sync issues. But so did Multiavchd. I never tried decoding with DGDecNV though. (That recently corrected an issue I was having.)
Interesting. I've done dozens of compilations in which I've pulled multiple DVDs into BD format, and I've never had a single import that was out of sync.

I will say, though, that DGDecNV helps any decoding/reencoding headaches considerably. It's a very worthwhile investment if you have a video card that supports CUDA.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st January 2014 at 16:38.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 17:48   #18904  |  Link
omegaman7

It's been a while since I retried the attempt. If it fails again, I can offer to ship the problematic disc/s to you.

If by some chance you have it, I've been attempting "Legend of the Overfiend". "Urotsukidōji".

These are original discs, not downloads, for those that are worried about the source material

I'm importing directly from disc this time. Perhaps that will have a better result Before, I used DVD shrink, to create a single large VOB file. (mmm... I recall dvd rebuilder not liking large vob files)

Last edited by omegaman7; 20th January 2014 at 19:17.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 22:34   #18905  |  Link
slvrsrfr

Quote:
Interesting. I've done dozens of compilations in which I've pulled multiple DVDs into BD format, and I've never had a single import that was out of sync.
I've done about 10 of these, and it seems to be isolated to reencoding the hybrid mpeg-2 files: I've done seasons 1 and 4 of the Simpons without issue, but the total source content was < 21GB, so it kept the original files.
slvrsrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 23:38   #18906  |  Link
omegaman7

I encoded using X264/lavf a few hours ago. Everything appeared in sync, though frames seemed to stutter. The original was 29.97, and finished job was 23.976. This wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen, encoders in general. Now I'm gonna see what happens using DGDecNV. I've had it correct issues in the past. I'll post back tonight, when it's finished.

Seems to totally be a decode issue. MPCHC has a problem playing the ripped files properly. Similar, to how the encoded files behaved, but not quite as erratic. TMT 5 plays the ripped files flawlessly. It can't be a bad rip, the disc is in near perfect condition. Though I have heard of people getting bad pressed discs. I really doubt that here.

I wonder if this:
Inverse Telecining in effect (IVTC)
is being handled incorrectly.
Not sure what this means (Warning: SD Progressive Output in effect)

I hope DGDecNV corrects the problem. It's going substantially faster!

Last edited by omegaman7; 21st January 2014 at 00:41.
Old 21st January 2014, 01:01   #18907  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I encoded using X264/lavf a few hours ago. Everything appeared in sync, though frames seemed to stutter. The original was 29.97, and finished job was 23.976. This wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen, encoders in general. Now I'm gonna see what happens using DGDecNV. I've had it correct issues in the past. I'll post back tonight, when it's finished.

Seems to totally be a decode issue. MPCHC has a problem playing the ripped files properly. Similar, to how the encoded files behaved, but not quite as erratic. TMT 5 plays the ripped files flawlessly. It can't be a bad rip, the disc is in near perfect condition. Though I have heard of people getting bad pressed discs. I really doubt that here.

I wonder if this:
Inverse Telecining in effect (IVTC)
is being handled incorrectly.
Not sure what this means (Warning: SD Progressive Output in effect)

I hope DGDecNV corrects the problem. It's going substantially faster!
I am positive IVTC is being done correctly. About 90% of the U.S. discs I process are telecined.

That warning is just letting you know that the SD source is being encoded as progressive. The BD standard specifies SD progressive @ 23.976 only on secondary video. But I have never seen or heard of a player that accept play it, and the BD flags also allow it. It gives much better quality than telecining so I allow it. You can disable it with , however, with a hidden option, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 21st January 2014, 05:51   #18908  |  Link
omegaman7

Well it definitely worked that time. I have a new appreciation for DGDecNV. Decoding/frameserving was no doubt the problem with X264/LAVF(Given how MPCHC handled it incorrectly). But I'm certainly no expert. It appears absolutely stutter free, perfectly in sync now I don't install any extra codecs. Just FFDshow, Haali, and of course Rebuilder. I haven't installed a codec pack in years
Old 21st January 2014, 16:10   #18909  |  Link
dfsooner

Mr

Quote:

I will say, though, that DGDecNV helps any decoding/reencoding headaches considerably. It's a very worthwhile investment if you have a video card that supports CUDA.
Is there an equivalent of DGDecNV for us Intel fans?

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st January 2014 at 16:38.
dfsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 16:37   #18910  |  Link
jdobbs

Not that I know of.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:19   #18911  |  Link
omegaman7

Guess I shouldn't have spoke too soon. Couple of problems I noticed. I imported all 4 titles of Overfiend, and ran the job. Imported folder was 23.5Gb. No "PSEUDO" folder was in the resulting import folder(might I recommend defaulting to "Forced Encode", when PSEUDO sources are detected, depending on source I suppose). I removed Japanese audio, so apparently rebuilder figured it did not need to encode. Because the resulting output, was 22.7Gb. However, because I imported videos that were 29.97Fps, it does need to reencode to 23.976, eh??? I plan to "Force Encode" on the next run. I have a feeling this will correct most of the problems I'm encountering.

Title 1 Input was 1:44:57, output was 2:11:ish. I suspect because TMT is seeing the proper 29.97 framerate. resulting in a blownup time frame. I suspect other players will behave the same(but I don't know).

Probably why TMT freezes when I click play too.

And a question about the resulting menu. I had to manually move titles up, respective to their playback order. The resulting menu shows this. (perhaps the numbers on the left, can be respective to their proper placement? Or, no
number at all)

--Never mind about editing the numerical titles. I found the way to remove them.--

Last edited by omegaman7; 21st January 2014 at 19:53.
Old 21st January 2014, 22:57   #18912  |  Link
mparade

"Quicker" encode for extras

In my full disc backups I am using "high" FIXED_CRF values with "highest (very slow)" encoder setting for my main movies most of the time and want to use some lower quality CRF setting for the extras. But on the other hand I want to keep the very slow setting for the extras too. "Quicker" encode for extras means quicker setting with a finally bigger file size (I do not want it at all because it would be against efficiency and I do not care about the encoding time at all) or just the opportunity to set a lower quality setting for the extras while keeping the same "highest (very slow)" profile for them that was already set up for the main feature in the "encoder setting" previously?

Really appreciate for the help.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 00:04   #18913  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
......while keeping the same "highest (very slow)" profile for them that was already set up for the main feature in the "encoder setting" previously
QUICK_USE_QUALITY=1
encodes the Extras with the same quality settings as the feature.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 00:25   #18914  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
QUICK_USE_QUALITY=1
encodes the Extras with the same quality settings as the feature.
It is great! Thanks!
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:01   #18915  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
I am positive IVTC is being done correctly. About 90% of the U.S. discs I process are telecined.

That warning is just letting you know that the SD source is being encoded as progressive. The BD standard specifies SD progressive @ 23.976 only on secondary video. But I have never seen or heard of a player that accept play it, and the BD flags also allow it. It gives much better quality than telecining so I allow it. You can disable it with , however, with a hidden option, but I wouldn't recommend it.
All is well now. I had to force encode, and frameserve with DGDecNV, but all is well now. Oddly, All four inputs were originally 29.97Fps. While all of them reencoded nicely, only title one has the new framrate of 23.976
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:42   #18916  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
All is well now. I had to force encode, and frameserve with DGDecNV, but all is well now. Oddly, All four inputs were originally 29.97Fps. While all of them reencoded nicely, only title one has the new framrate of 23.976
The 23.976 will occur only on telecined sources. BD-RB scans the MPEG source looking for flags that indicate telecining is occurring.
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:19   #18917  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
The 23.976 will occur only on telecined sources. BD-RB scans the MPEG source looking for flags that indicate telecining is occurring.
Thank you for educating me

If anyone is interested in using a different background for menus, let me know. I'm capable of generating some nice imagery. Just let me know what you like, via PM, and we can talk. The default image is agreeable, but what if you're making something completely different? I think Jdobbs foreseen this, so made it easy to replace the default image

Last edited by omegaman7; 22nd January 2014 at 23:46.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:19   #18918  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I think he foresaw it also..which is why we're able to choose instead of him embedding it with the program. Hehe. I might PM you after a bit.
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:26   #18919  |  Link
Yordan5

Quote:
Same with my Samsung and Sony players.

I'll check on the subtitle depth issue.
Same here, subtitle 3D effect is lost after compression with BD-RB.
Yordan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:37   #18920  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordan5 View Post
Same here, subtitle 3D effect is lost after compression with BD-RB.
It's complicated. The actual offset values are stored in the MVC stream. Sometimes the new MVC seems to have it, and sometimes it doesn't. While I don't have it figured out yet, I believe the solution will have to rely on some changes to TSMUXER.