Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th July 2017, 18:11   #44341  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Since there is no "OFF" option (or at least one that I can find) for mVR image downscaling, chroma upscaling & image upscaling, can you please tell me which option(s) for these three sharpening functions would most simulate OFF? I am using mVR with a low power GPU on a laptop and am soon going to add in a Darbee to the mix because I need to reduce all the taxing GPU/CPU load I have been putting on my laptops with a projector. But of course I still want to use mVR because of smooth motion and the various other awesome features, so when I add the Darbee I would like to start at a "normal", non mVR sharpening operations (for want of a better term) and increase sharpening slowy step by step up from that point and see how it goes... thanks guys very much
You cannot turn off chroma upscaling and still have a color image. It is very easy to turn off image down scaling or image upscaling, simply play back the video at its native resolution. Are you sure you understand what madVR is doing?

I, like others, are confused what you want to accomplish. Why would a Darbee help reduce madVR's GPU load?
Old 15th July 2017, 00:44   #44342  |  Link
ryrynz

What I believe he means by that is he's using Darbee to perform image processing that he would otherwise use madVR to do If he had the processing power.

Just upgrade your laptop man, seriously..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 00:50   #44343  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Thanks for your input nev, but I can't because it's killing my laptops with the huge load mVR taxes on my gpu/cpu. Let me start at as near to "ground zero" as I can then work my way up the mVR sharpening chains while using the darbee till I find a good equilibrium I can live with (not too much load cpu/gpu anymore but still good enough picture for me). But I don't know what is "off" like I mentioned.

Let's say I was using Haali as my renderer instead of mVR (which I don't want to do just say for comparison sake), which mVR sharpening settings would emulate Haali because I know that using Haali isn't cpu/gpu taxing... Thanks for any further tips...
If you are talking about scalers instead of sharpeners/post-processing, just pick out Bilinear to all.
With madVR Bilinear ain't really that bad, I use it all the time myself with powerful PC, because I prefer softness over ringing any time, so being lightweight is just an added bonus.
Check also that you have the default "trade performance" settings on, 32-bit buffers can sometimes slow down outdated hardware. As well as put dither to Ordered and tick the two boxes if you are watching the screen from very close (arm-lenght) or if the screen is huge compared to the distance. However if it is medium-sized and on the other side of the living room, no need for those unless have the power to spare.

I wouldn't recommend any post-processing device after madVR, though that might be because I never see the reason to use sharpeners (not adding anything to the picture, just doing halos and artifacts).
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 01:41   #44344  |  Link
Asmodian

I do not use colored noise or change dither for every frame but they do not take any extra GPU or CPU power. They are purly a matter of taste, not performance.

I am not sure why screen size or viewing distance would affect the choice either, if you are close you can notice the increased subjective noise from change dither for every frame and/or the increased chroma noise, I would want to turn them off in both situations.

I do agree that any post process device after madVR is probably counter productive.
Old 15th July 2017, 05:01   #44345  |  Link
andybkma

Thanks for your input guys, will report back with my findings to see if my experimentation with the darbee bears any fruit
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 15:43   #44346  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Here is a tutorial to improve accuracy of a custom resolution:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571
I assume this is a better method than using the flaky nVidia Control Panel? I also assume this works for Intel and AMD cards too?
Old 15th July 2017, 15:59   #44347  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
I assume this is a better method than using the flaky nVidia Control Panel? I also assume this works for Intel and AMD cards too?
It uses a custom tool to do that, however you basically enter the same information you could equally enter into the NVIDIA Control Panel, since thats what makes up a resolution.
Old 15th July 2017, 16:08   #44348  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It uses a custom tool to do that, however you basically enter the same information you could equally enter into the NVIDIA Control Panel, since thats what makes up a resolution.
I had a go but my TV doesn't like any alteration to the default horizontal total pixels at all (default is 2750 for 1920 active pixels). I can adjust the total vertical pixels very slightly but that doesn't allow me to get much closer to 23.976 Hz compared to the default values.
Old 15th July 2017, 20:15   #44349  |  Link
huhn

try is from a CVT reduced blank.

and read the guide so you will stop aiming at the 23.976 hz.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 21:06   #44350  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I do not use colored noise or change dither for every frame but they do not take any extra GPU or CPU power. They are purly a matter of taste, not performance.

I am not sure why screen size or viewing distance would affect the choice either, if you are close you can notice the increased subjective noise from change dither for every frame and/or the increased chroma noise, I would want to turn them off in both situations.

I do agree that any post process device after madVR is probably counter productive.
Just my personal experiences with couple 26" smallish monitors, 42" TV as a monitor (all arm-length away) and 55" across living room. The both ticks are "essential" on the 42" TV, since they do hide a lot of the noise and patterns (or what I think it is dither pattern, anyways it is gone after enabling that setting).

With the 55" TV I see no difference whatsoever due to the distance already eating away the noise (poor eyesight too). Same with the 26" monitors, just a tiny bit of difference if really concentrate on it.

However if they do not affect performance even a tiny bit, can enable both I suppose.
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 21:50   #44351  |  Link
huhn

it's hard to generals this there so so many panels types out there and the resolutions plays a huge role for dither noise..
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 01:32   #44352  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, I found I prefer different settings depending on the display. I don't think it is related to the size or viewing distance directly.
Old 16th July 2017, 15:36   #44353  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
3840x2159p23 may work.

videos may need downscaling now and who knows what the TV does with that input. i highly recommend a custom refreshrate with 3840x2160p23 . and please be aware that getting closer to 23.976 doesn't mean it is getting better.
You are correct that videos are now downscaled, so I have reverted back to the standard 3840x2160 and I will deal with the frame repeat every 5 min or so.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 19:05   #44354  |  Link
Sarlaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
@ Madshi.

I made an inquiry with AMD regarding their HDR switching method. Apparently you CAN use their API for on-the-fly HDR switching.

'Thanks for the email.

We do provide the AMD GPU Services (AGS) library on GPUOpen that ISVs can use to switch HDR displays into HDR mode on-the-fly from their application.

This does not rely on the Windows 10 Creators Update “HDR and advanced color” toggle in Display Settings - we’ve supported this since last year from Windows 7 and onwards with the 16.40+ drivers.

http://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/am...s-ags-library/

Please be advised that this service request will be permanently closed if you do not reply within 10 days. If more time is needed to respond to my e-mail above, please let me know and I will ensure that this service request remains open for you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care'
@madshi does that mean it's possible to create the HDR switching in MadVR? Or would require that for you to overhaul alot of the code?

Also I was wondering, is a 55inch 4K TV worth it to buy a GTX1080ti? Or should I just stick with a 1060 or 1070? what's the general opinion?
Am sort of hoping that madVR with support HDR switching on AMD card's, then the new to be released AMD Vega RX's might be nice too.

Last edited by Sarlaith; 16th July 2017 at 19:22.
Sarlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 20:09   #44355  |  Link
Asmodian

As someone who has a lot of fun running madVR on my 1080Ti equivalent Titan, I have to recommend a 1070 or less.

While NGU very high is great for 1080p to 4K the difference between that and high or medium is visually pretty small but very high takes a lot more power and generates a lot of heat (I have to open up the power limit on my Titan to run 1080p30 -> 4K with NGU very high). Something like a 1060 (6GB) or better can offer noticeable quality improvements but all the way up to a 1080 Ti is well past diminishing returns. Looking at GPU prices right now suggests waiting for a bit while the mining craze calms down and GPU vendors build up stock.

That said; with a 1080 Ti and some light overclocking you can run basically every madVR option at or near max quality.

It looks like Vega RX will be a very high power GPU. It is possible it will offer great performance for madVR but it will use really a lot of power while doing it.
Old 16th July 2017, 21:07   #44356  |  Link
Megalith

https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13...-and-farewell/

MPC-HC is dead? How does this affect madVR?
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 21:25   #44357  |  Link
Asmodian

Wow that is big news!

However, it shouldn't affect madVR at all.
Old 16th July 2017, 23:14   #44358  |  Link
ryrynz

Calm down.. It's not like anything has really changed recently. It's been dribbling for years. Switch to BE if you need something constantly updated. It's not like HC is broken. Not big news at all.

Last edited by ryrynz; 16th July 2017 at 23:23.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 23:20   #44359  |  Link
clsid

MPC-HC will continue to be updated!
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 01:16   #44360  |  Link
Fullmetal Encoder

Wow! That is very, very sad news about MPC-HC! I would never use Pot Player, VLC isn't an option since it'll never support madVR... Our options have been reduced greatly with this loss. I know it's still a great and functional program but to see it come to the end of it's road... I hope clsid is right and some talented contributors will step up to support it's evolution. I'd jump on it myself if life had permitted me the time to complete learning enough C++ to do it.
Fullmetal Encoder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling